Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #1
LynchMom

I think we messed up....

New here, first post
We own a 2015 Cougar 31SQB
Dry Weight 7213
Payload 1787
GVWR 9000
Hubby traded our previous truck for a 2019 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L V8 4WD CrewMax
Tow capacity 9800
GVWR 7,200
Payload 1560
GCWR 16,000
I’m afraid our calculations were incorrect as far as what it can tow. I’ve spent the last 2 hours researching online only to be more confused than before I started. My best estimate, we’re over by at least 1000lbs. We’re not leaving the driveway until we can get confirmation. Any input is welcomed and appreciated!!
LynchMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to forum.

With your trailer you are looking at a hitch tongue weight at least 1,000 lbs. In my opinion (look at my sig) that much trailer is 3/4 ton truck territory. Look at the sticker on the truck door (yellow) that lists payload. Take that number and subtract the weight of everything in the truck not installed at the factory ie. passengers, hitch receiver and sway bars, tools, ice chest, firewood in the bed, etc. What you have remaining is the load capacity left for the trailer tongue. I'm guessing you will end up with insufficient payload.

Probably not what you want to hear but many of use have BTDT.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #3
LynchMom

Thanks for the welcome and info flybouy. I appreciate you taking time to explain. You’re right, not the news I was hoping for, but better safe than sorry!

If anyone is in the market for a Cougar XLite 31SQB I know where you can find one
Old 05-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I fully expect some owners of Tundras to chime in and say I'm full of it and they have been towing a cement mixer hitched to an 18 wheeler for 30 years with out a problem. The numbers don't lie. Your doing the right thing by investigating and researching for the truth.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I fully expect some owners of Tundras to chime in and say I'm full of it and they have been towing a cement mixer hitched to an 18 wheeler for 30 years with out a problem. The numbers don't lie. Your doing the right thing by investigating and researching for the truth.
Flybouy, you are so right, see many Tundras pulling 5ers come into the parks. some smaller lighter, some not so much, wondering how they feeling when towing.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Flybouy, you are so right, see many Tundras pulling 5ers come into the parks. some smaller lighter, some not so much, wondering how they feeling when towing.
I'm guessing the owners would tell you "they don't even know it's back there".
Old 05-13-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
notanlines

LynchMom, first let's get one thing out in the open. Most members here are owners of the big three, and more than half won't say many good things about Toyotas or Nissans. I count myself in with the naysayers. Fact not fiction.
Everything that I read previously is pretty much on the money. Before you throw the baby out with the bathwater do us all a favor. Hitch up the RV with the weight distribution hitch that you already have and head to your local CAT scale. Within reason, have the same number of passengers and some equipment/gear like you would normally have travelling. Don't have water in the tank in the RV and no liquids in the black/grey tanks.
Drive on the scale and put your steer (front truck axle) on the first concrete pad, your drive (rear truck axle) on the second pad, and your trailer axles on the third pad. Go inside, pay, and ask for your ticket. Then tell the attendant you will be back for a reweigh. Drop the RV and come back and weigh just the front axle and the rear axle of the truck. (Pad 1 and ad 2) Go back inside, pay the attendant, and go home. CAT will do all this for you for the paltry sum of $14.00.
Post a picture of the yellow sticker from the door post AND a picture of both weigh tickets. We will then decide as a group how your family should spend your next $40,000. NO, on a serious note, we will then tell you precisely how much overweight you are and if there is hope.
If you've never been through the CAT scale this will be little adventure. And you'll find out that it is easy as pie.
At least three in your area: https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locat...s=2&cmdSearch=
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #8
LynchMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
LynchMom, first let's get one thing out in the open. Most members here are owners of the big three, and more than half won't say many good things about Toyotas or Nissans. I count myself in with the naysayers. Fact not fiction.
Everything that I read previously is pretty much on the money. Before you throw the baby out with the bathwater do us all a favor. Hitch up the RV with the weight distribution hitch that you already have and head to your local CAT scale. Within reason, have the same number of passengers and some equipment/gear like you would normally have travelling. Don't have water in the tank in the RV and no liquids in the black/grey tanks.
Drive on the scale and put your steer (front truck axle) on the first concrete pad, your drive (rear truck axle) on the second pad, and your trailer axles on the third pad. Go inside, pay, and ask for your ticket. Then tell the attendant you will be back for a reweigh. Drop the RV and come back and weigh just the front axle and the rear axle of the truck. (Pad 1 and ad 2) Go back inside, pay the attendant, and go home. CAT will do all this for you for the paltry sum of $14.00.
Post a picture of the yellow sticker from the door post AND a picture of both weigh tickets. We will then decide as a group how your family should spend your next $40,000. NO, on a serious note, we will then tell you precisely how much overweight you are and if there is hope.
If you've never been through the CAT scale this will be little adventure. And you'll find out that it is easy as pie.
At least three in your area: https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locat...s=2&cmdSearch=
Is it a coincidence that I JUST researched Cat Scales and found one near us??
Sounds like a solid plan!
We will do that this weekend.
I feel so fortunate to have all these great minds converging to help us out!
((Does this mean I shouldn’t get my hopes up about that Class C I’ve been eyeballing??))
Old 05-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #9
meaz93*

I've only towed with 1/2 ton trucks....and all I can say is payload is really the deciding factor. You take the trailer tongue weight subtract that plus truck cargo & passengers from your trucks payload rating.
You should find the manufacturer's manual with your year trucks tow chart specifications.
You need a good weight distribution hitch with sway control. Truck needs tow rated LT's and not passenger rated tires-IMO
A Tundra is a very capable truck, but if the trailer is overloaded can put a tremendous amount of strain on the the truck brakes, driveline, and suspension.
You need to be comfortable and safe while towing.
Their are an endless amount of aftermarket enhancing performance parts to help your truck be more stable while towing; aka rear air bags, rear sway bar, E rated truck tires etc..
Let us know how it works out.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190828-080114_Facebook.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	27277
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
Big 417

This has been beat to death on more than 1 forum. Yes it can, but no you shouldn't.

Yes theres lots of goodies to make your truck feel like it can handle the weight. But it's mostly just stuff to take the weight. It does nothing for the brakes, it does nothing in the event of a "situation*, where that heavier than your truck, trailer is now in control. You need a good solid heavy tow vehicle. That will help when the trailer wants to rag doll your truck like a dog does a chew toy.

And then there's the whole liability can of worms.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 417 View Post
This has been beat to death on more than 1 forum. Yes it can, but no you shouldn't.

Yes theres lots of goodies to make your truck feel like it can handle the weight. But it's mostly just stuff to take the weight. It does nothing for the brakes, it does nothing in the event of a "situation*, where that heavier than your truck, trailer is now in control. You need a good solid heavy tow vehicle. That will help when the trailer wants to rag doll your truck like a dog does a chew toy.

And then there's the whole liability can of worms.
Unfortunately what newbies don't know is none of those goodies add anything to the trucks payload, actually do the opposite, everything added to your truck that didn't come from the factory are deducted from the payload.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #12
LynchMom

It only took a few expert opinions to convince me that it’s not worth the risk!
Appreciate your responses!!
Old 05-13-2020, 12:27 PM   #13
Gary R.

Hi and welcome aboard!

You are very smart to be concerned about towing that size trailer with a Tundra.

The posters above have provided sound advice to help sort it out.

Good luck to you and your DH in deciding what to do.

Take care,

Gary
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Cat scales are certified scales located at many truck stops. Here's a link to their locations.
https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locat...hoCDmcQAvD_BwE
Old 05-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #15
Logan X

A lot of people come on to the forum seeking affirmation for their denial, and rationalization, about not having enough truck to tow their trailer.

My hat is off to you for coming here with an open mind and seeking information rather than affirmation. Good for you!

As the others have said, you will probably be over on your payload capacity. I think Jim’s suggestion to go to a scale and see what the numbers actually are is a fantastic idea.

Keep us posted, we are here to help.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
A lot of people come on to the forum seeking affirmation for their denial, and rationalization, about not having enough truck to tow their trailer.

My hat is off to you for coming here with an open mind and seeking information rather than affirmation. Good for you!

As the others have said, you will probably be over on your payload capacity. I think Jim’s suggestion to go to a scale and see what the numbers actually are is a fantastic idea.

Keep us posted, we are here to help.

Logan is right; congrats coming to find information with an open mind - pretty unusual....and refreshing. I think Jim is also right. I'm not a fan of a Toyota for a tow vehicle but I do drive their SUVs and know they make a good vehicle for driving.....not so much towing.

If you can take it to a scale do so with the same mindset you have now; do yourselves a favor and fill that truck and trailer with everything you think you will ever need....EVER, because you will eventually have it. People, animals, food, bbq pits (I have 3 and now a new Blackstone griddle), folding tables, spare LP tanks, vacuum, compressors, bottle jacks, sewer equipment, fresh water equipment/filter, blender, food processor, pressure cooker, instant pot, toaster, coffee pot, pots/pans...and on and on and on.

At the end of the day I think you will find that you will run short on payload and be overweight. A little or a lot that's not where you want to be. Good luck in your efforts. It seems only wise to do that before you get rid of the trailer without actually knowing where you stand.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

I second Logan X remarks. Bear in mind that if you take it to the scales and find that your just under or close don't get a false sense of security. A 1,500 lb load of sand in the bed of the truck is not the same as a 1,500 lb tongue weight that's attached to a 35' high cg, high profile box. While 1,500 lbs is 1,500 lbs, the BIG difference is in how the "towing capacity" is calculated. In that column, 9,000 lbs of a low cg, low wind resistance of say towing a flat bed trailer with a load of bricks on it that's 20' long is not equal to a high wind resistance 35' long slab sided sail.
BTDTGT
Old 05-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #18
meaz93*

C Class is another option if that's what catches your fancy, but for me I would need a vehicle separate to explore; run errands, hit a convience store, etc..
Meaning I would need to pull a small vehicle behind the C Class-lol
Now you have to be sure that your new rig can tow that additional weight....typically limited to 3-5k max.
Some OP's don't need an additional form of transportation with a C Class....they will unhook run errands and come back to their campsite.
Something to think about!Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200504-183030_Facebook.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	27304
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Agreed on the Class C comments. We looked at them at some shows and they would have been a serious downsize for a lot more money, at least in our situation as owners of trucks it would mean buying a toad.

Most Class C and low end Class A coaches are gasoline powered and get about 6 m.p.g. If you have a toad you have to disconnect before backing into a site. Also, depending on your state the license, taxes, and inspections may differ as it's motorized.

Didn't intend to ramble on but as with any choice or decision there are many points to ponder.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #20
LynchMom

Gosh, all great insight! I tend to be a ‘glass 1/2 full’ kinda gal so hearing the not so pretty is sometimes what I need. Our youngest is 15 so we probably only have another year or so of him traveling with us. But the 3 grandkids will still join us from time to time. So losing space right now wouldn’t be a good idea. Mr LynchMom wants to take me out west when he retires but that’s quite a ways away. Plenty of time to actually want or need to downsize.
Lots to consider for sure! Will keep y’all posted!