Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2024, 05:08 PM   #1
harleywalt

New Ram3500 don match my pinbox

I sold my 2013 F350 pulling my 2015 Impact#311, today I now have a Ram3500. I put on a curt air Ride (fit my ford) now the NEW 2020Ram sits so high I can’t find a Curt hitch that may work.(18”) ( RAM is stock height) It seem the nose is almost as high as the Ram bed? I had to raise the landing gear so high to get the air ride to connect/disconnect from the ford. Today I borrowed a B&W slider Ram puck hitch to see if the height (19”) is what I need. The RV sits nose up.. NOT LEVEL, not 5”-6” clearance.. this can’t be this hard to solve. others must have this combo. Notice the small level on top of the air ride? The air ride cannot be moved downward it will catch the bed rails.. what is the solution?? Frustrated. I had a Q24 Ford Puck, in the Ford. (Worked perfect) NO I DONT SEE GETTING A LOWERING KIT, OR RAISING THE AXLES. any suggestions appreciated. (I don’t like the weight of the B&W I’m not 35 anymore.).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4530.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	47302   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4538.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	47304   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4528.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	47309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4546.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	47310   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4542.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	47311  

harleywalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 07:02 PM   #2
rhagfo

How much rail clearance do you have in the 2nd picture.
Your pin box is longer than 24” from center of pin to either back corner?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 05:15 AM   #3
harleywalt

Reply New ram doesn’t match my pinbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
How much rail clearance do you have in the 2nd picture.
Your pin box is longer than 24” from center of pin to either back corner?
The pinbox is 25” from its center of pin to its outer edge. From the bottom of the bed to top of this hitch is 19”, from the bed rail to the underneath of the RV is almost 10”. It seems that the pinbox will hit the bed rails in turning. The distance from the bedrail inner edge to the inner edge of the pin is about 30”. The B&W cannot be removed without lots of help. ( I have to return it this morning) any suggestions on other hitches? Thanks
Old 06-20-2024, 08:38 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Some thoughts;

Your trailer is a 2015, are the springs on top of the axles or under? They used to place them under the axles but as trucks got higher they started putting them over the axles for additional height.

You've got a long bed truck so I don't see a need for a slider and the weight that goes with it. I use an Andersen and love it....it's light and adjustable. Here's a link to a B&W Companion that you might like as well;

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/ins...n-installation
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 08:45 AM   #5
dutchmensport

It's a non-fancy, generic hitch, but works well and is easily adjustable, but look into the Demco Recon hitches. The nice thing about them is, they come apart (very easy) in 3 parts for easy removal from the truck bed.

Click here.
dutchmensport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 08:47 AM   #6
harleywalt

I didn’t have a hitch but my neighbor has the puck system in his Ram. So I just borrowed it for comparison. I’m sure my axles are on top of the springs. So I will look at Anderson. This Dully requires me to use a 6’ ladder to get to the release handle, but the Q24 Curt has a handle close to the edge of the bed I pull to release so I’m hoping to find one that I don’t have to crawl into the bed from the fender. Thank you very much
Old 06-20-2024, 08:59 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

The handle to release my Andersen is at the pin box behind the tailgate and easy to reach - unlock the handle and pull the cable to pull the locking pin. If you opt for a more traditional 5th wheel hitch that requires you to reach over into the bed they make little steps (I have one) that hooks over your tire then you step up onto it to reach into the bed. There are several kinds; the link below is one from Tractor Supply.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...SABEgKKKPD_BwE
Old 06-20-2024, 09:10 AM   #8
harleywalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleywalt View Post
The pinbox is 25” from its center of pin to its outer edge. From the bottom of the bed to top of this hitch is 19”, from the bed rail to the underneath of the RV is almost 10”. It seems that the pinbox will hit the bed rails in turning. The distance from the bedrail inner edge to the inner edge of the pin is about 30”. The B&W cannot be removed without lots of help. ( I have to return it this morning) any suggestions on other hitches? Thanks
TO rhagfo: I’m trying to reply and somehow lose the reply so if you see more than one sorry. This morning I went to McClain’s RV to seek help. We measured the bed height 59.5 I was Presuming the Back end of the pinbox was suppose to be “above the bed rail” I was informed I would not hit the bed tails at all in turning but to adjust the height of the hitch to level, or as close but keep 6” between the bedrail and the RV. And 1-3” above level would be ok. But if not level it would effect the rear axle, tires etc. ( that, I understand) so I have 15” from the rear of the pinbox to tailgate, I will have so I figured if I’m 17-18” or less I will be ok(?) as long as I have 6” clearance between the front and bed rail. SO NOW FIND A HITCH.. Let me know if I’m on the right path folks thank you again
Old 06-20-2024, 09:47 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I didn’t have a hitch but my neighbor has the puck system in his Ram. So I just borrowed it for comparison. I’m sure my axles are on top of the springs. So I will look at Anderson. This Dully requires me to use a 6’ ladder to get to the release handle, but the Q24 Curt has a handle close to the edge of the bed I pull to release so I’m hoping to find one that I don’t have to crawl into the bed from the fender. Thank you very much
I have an Andersen Ultimate hitch and use a small one step "ladder" to hop up into the bed on my F350. I also use a piece of cardboard box to cover my 5th wheel tail gate as it is only rails and get uncomfortable getting in. Main thing is connecting the safety chains and emergency disconnect cable and not the hitch because it sits on a ball and you tighten back on the pin box via cable. My backup camera connection and 7 pin are on the rear inside my truck bed.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 09:48 AM   #10
harleywalt

The gooseneck attachment doesn’t look like I could connect to the Curt Air Ride pin box, and I want to use my Ram puck system. I’ll go back to check, thank you for the help.
Old 06-20-2024, 01:14 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
The gooseneck attachment doesn’t look like I could connect to the Curt Air Ride pin box, and I want to use my Ram puck system. I’ll go back to check, thank you for the help.

Gooseneck attachment on what and where? If referring to the Andersen it has an adapter that connects to the pin on the pin box that fits the elevated goose ball. The Andersen fits on the Ram puck system - it's what I use.
Old 06-20-2024, 03:43 PM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
TO rhagfo: I’m trying to reply and somehow lose the reply so if you see more than one sorry. This morning I went to McClain’s RV to seek help. We measured the bed height 59.5 I was Presuming the Back end of the pinbox was suppose to be “above the bed rail” I was informed I would not hit the bed tails at all in turning but to adjust the height of the hitch to level, or as close but keep 6” between the bedrail and the RV. And 1-3” above level would be ok. But if not level it would effect the rear axle, tires etc. ( that, I understand) so I have 15” from the rear of the pinbox to tailgate, I will have so I figured if I’m 17-18” or less I will be ok(?) as long as I have 6” clearance between the front and bed rail. SO NOW FIND A HITCH.. Let me know if I’m on the right path folks thank you again
The hitch you borrowed is a very good hitch. You might see, but I think B&W makes a lower base unit, and there is some adjustment in height.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 04:53 AM   #13
harleywalt

Thanks! The B&W is a monster, I think I like the Curt A20 Ram puck long bed model. And I did look at all of them. Also I was wondering why mopar only put a 31-32gal fuel tank in these. Ford has a 48 gal. Thank for the help
Old 06-23-2024, 05:00 AM   #14
harleywalt

I forgot to mention that I ordered a over the tire step you suggested and it came yesterday. Awesome little thing.
Old 06-23-2024, 05:23 AM   #15
jasin1

Quote:
Thanks! The B&W is a monster, I think I like the Curt A20 Ram puck long bed model. And I did look at all of them. Also I was wondering why mopar only put a 31-32gal fuel tank in these. Ford has a 48 gal. Thank for the help
My 2020 Ram 3500 has the factory ordered 50 gallon tank….really don’t understand why whoever is in charge of ordering duallys for the dealships don’t automatically check the $345 option for 50 gallon tanks…maybe they are instructed to only order a percentage because tanks are hard to come by? or they have a a surplus of 32 gallon tanks they need to get rid of before the next model change
Old 06-23-2024, 06:56 AM   #16
dutchmensport

One thing to consider to if you switch over to a goose neck hitch, you will be required to have safety chains attached for your camper, in addition to the break-away breaking system. Every state requires the chains for goose neck hitches. That means, reaching all the way to the bed of your truck, making climbing over the bed rails even more challenging ..... especially if it's a dually.

Something to explore first, if you decide to go this direction.
dutchmensport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 07:57 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
One thing to consider to if you switch over to a goose neck hitch, you will be required to have safety chains attached for your camper, in addition to the break-away breaking system. Every state requires the chains for goose neck hitches. That means, reaching all the way to the bed of your truck, making climbing over the bed rails even more challenging ..... especially if it's a dually.

Something to explore first, if you decide to go this direction.

Chains aren't required in all states. They are not required in TX but they are in some states. Since I opt not to track that on every trip I have safety chains to keep from running afoul of the law "somewhere". Ours are connected to the rear pucks in the bed. Tried a plate under the gooseball but didn't like it. Drop the tailgate, small step stool and unhook. For reference TX statute;

https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tl oc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=37&pt=1&ch=21&rl=5
Old 06-27-2024, 07:16 AM   #18
TomArmstrong

I agree with the comment about a slider B&W hitch in a long bed. I have the standard gooseneck B&W 5th wheel hitch and it is totally adjustable. When I transferred it to my new(ish) dually Chevy, I had to lower it just a bit and was pretty easy.

Looking at the B&W installation instructions-there are 3 positions for height. Are you in the lowest position ?
Old 06-27-2024, 09:29 AM   #19
harleywalt

I just borrowed the hitch to see how “any hatch” would have to be in this taller Ram trick. But it was just a monster to get out of the truck. (I picked Curt) So my ignorance played a part in this discussion. I feared (still do some) that I would not be able to get the RV hooked and level UNLESS the rear of the pin box was above the bed rail. (No one has ever mentioned) when setting up a rig. But I appreciate the suggestion, just too old to dismantle a B&W. (And I hate to admit that)��