Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2024, 05:58 PM   #1
Brantlyj

Broken wall

Well, Iím 3 days into a 2 month trip to Alaska and Iím not sure what to do here.

The bottom of the wall is pushed out a bit and the luann is broken. Itís next to the main slide.

Outside shows no damage. Pushing on the outside wall it has an ever so slight give. Pushing on the inside has no give at all. Slide moved in and out fine and no movement when it reaches fully out or in.

Iím going to press on. If I see an RV dealer I might swing in for an opinion but would like to hear from anyone here that might have some expertise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1383.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	47237   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	47238  
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 06:21 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

What type of slide mechanism is it?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 07:18 PM   #3
Brantlyj

The type where the motor is underneath.

Rack and pinion.
Old 06-15-2024, 06:19 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If I was to guess I would say there is a failed weld at the base of the wall. Most likely the slide will have to come out to repair. JMHO YMMV

Slide may be out of adjustment on that side, causing the issue

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-15-2024, 06:32 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Take a look at the photos in post #9 in the thread located here: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ht=broken+weld

I'd suspect that your cracked luan is a result of the base sill still being secure to your trailer floor and the upright aluminum tubing welds being "broken away from the base sill"....

It may have been caused by a "bent chassis frame" as in the trailer in that link, or it may have been caused by other issues. At any rate, it looks like your sidewall aluminum uprights on that side of the slide have broken away from the sidewall bottom plate sill.

Like Chuck posted, it's not a simple repair and the slide will probably need to be removed to get things aligned and rewelded/repaired.

Hopefully you're still within the structural warranty time frame and Keystone will honor that warranty. At this point, I would consider finding a Keystone dealer and get Keystone's advice on whether to do repairs NOW or delay the repairs until after your trip. Keep in mind that towing the Alcan is a stressful road that can damage a perfectly fine trailer. What it might do to your trailer in this condition is anybody's guess.... I'd suspect that if Keystone knew you had this damage and continued the trip, they might deny repairs under warranty...

I know it's a TERRIBLE situation to be in, but I wouldn't risk an expensive repair if Keystone says not to continue the trip....

Then, you MIGHT have some recourse with your insurance company, but that may be denied if the warranty is denied....

I'd get Keystone's recommendations before proceeding much further !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 10:19 PM   #6
Brantlyj

So wanted to give an update. I hav either been busy or not had cell access.

I googled RV places and there happened to be a repair shop in town that was open on Saturdays. We stopped in as soon as we could get packed up. He took a loot and claimed that the triangle shaped brackets welded to the frame that supports the floor that extended past it are bent, allowing the wall to sag. I couldn't see or feel a bend. Not sure how a triangle bends.... but I was not in the right frame of mind and I didn't argue. Based on that theory he suggested I turn back. After I explained this was not just a vacation but my wife's dying wish for me to take our girls on a trip of a lifetime and there was no redo, due to other outside factors, it was now or never. That got him to listen to my idea's of a temp fix just to get me through the trip. The most plausible was lifting the sunken area and weld in angle iron to hold it. He did not have metal and would be Monday.
His suggestion was to get to Edmonton and go to one of the dealers. They are open later than places in the States. I made it to a Keystone dealer 20 minutes before the service department closed. The tech said that the floor was cut longer than the brackets allowing the floor to sag. His opinion is that I was safe to continue, but to take it easy.

Honestly I was and am on the same track as the thread posted by JRTJH that a weld broke. I further think this as when we got to the campground last night the wall shifted back and now it's relatively flush again.

Since I had posted the same images in a Keystone group on Facebook Keystone reached out to me. We exchanged messages and the last I heard is they were going to check with technicians on their end and get back to me. I am in an area with zero cell service and only the very slow wifi from the campground I'm at but I have not heard back from Keystone since roughly noon Monday.

All this to say I am continuing on. As I said, it was my wife's dying wish. If I knew with 100% certainty I could do it next summer I'd turn around and go home. But I can't. It's now or never. I'm resourceful. If it gets worse and I have to leave the trailer and stay in hotels and pick it up on the way back then that's what I'll do.

If Keystone or insurance won't fix I'll do it myself. I own 2 forklifts and can take the slide out if I need too. I have contacts that know excellent welders or I can bolt in braces.

Once I'm home and get it into my dealer I'll provide updates. In the mean time if anyone wants to follow along I've made a blog. Mainly as a journal for myself but so many friends and family wanted to follow along as well.

https://papabearandhisthreecubs.blogspot.com
Old 06-19-2024, 11:10 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

GOOD LUCK !!!! Enjoy your trip and under the circumstances, I'm fairly sure that I'd be making the same choices as you... Make every minute count while you still have the minutes !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:14 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
GOOD LUCK !!!! Enjoy your trip and under the circumstances, I'm fairly sure that I'd be making the same choices as you... Make every minute count while you still have the minutes !!!
Very well stated, I agree 100%

Old 06-19-2024, 12:29 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Brant like the fellas above, I'd be doing the same thing. Read your blog - continue it then be sure and keep it, you will really appreciate it one day. Good luck to you, have fun and let us know the results when you get back.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 03:32 PM   #10
Ramtop

Admirable what you are doing with your 3 girls. Unfortunately you are having issues with the camper, but when the trip is done, all you will remember is the great memories you have with your children. Enjoy them while they are at that age, they grow up fast.