Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2024, 10:53 AM   #1
Freder

Dometic 310

My 310 is about 7 years old. Has always worked fine. I winterize it myself, blow every out then p7mp it full of antifreeze.
So, opening up this year I find a hair line crack on top of the porcelain in very fro t of the bowl. It doesn't leak, however I used super glue to seal it up.
Has anyone else had a similar experience. As long as there is no leaking I think structurally it ok should be ok?
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240616_133840.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	47258  
Freder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 12:08 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Looks to me like that should be fine. Why it happened would be a question I had. The 310 is rimless and I believe the water flow runs through the rim underneath that hairline crack. Unless you just wanted a new toilet I would use it and keep an eye on that crack for seepage or it getting worse.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 12:10 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I would do the same as Danny.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 12:27 PM   #4
dutchmensport

You are from Fargo, ND. Did you have a really cold winter? It's possible there was no water in the rim, it was just cold and the porcelain itself cracked due to heat and cold expansion, it had nothing to do with water.

On mine, that rim drains. When pushing the peddle to flush, it always take a 5 seconds or more before the water starts running out of the holes. So, the rim area was drained.

About using it? If it does not crack and break off after bouncing down the road a time or two then you'll probably be OK.

Personally, I don't mind spending the money to keep my camper is top shape (as much as possible). I'd purchase a new toilet and replace it. There is nothing worse than having RV failure AT the campground! But, that's just me.
dutchmensport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 01:29 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a "water channel" around the top of the toilet rim. That channel is what pushes water to all the "weep ports" that clean the bowl when you step on the flush pedal. It appears that the "hairline crack" along the front of the bowl is freeze damage from water left in the rim channel.

How long it will last is anybody's best guess. All it would take for that part of the rim to break away and leave you with two halves of a toilet bowl is a question without an answer. It may last months, years or it may "snap in two pieces" the next time someone sits on the toilet or drops the seat onto the ceramic rim....

Most superglue isn't waterproof and if the crack connects with the water channel, then every time you flush, you'll be adding water to seep up into the crack.

You're left with two choices. Use it until it breaks and replace it or just replace it now. Consider what you'll do if it breaks when you're on a trip and the only toilet available is "twice the price of the dealer at home and you are without a toilet".... It may be "cheaper in the long run" to buy one now and just not deal with the "when is it going to happen?".......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 01:43 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

OP in my original post I noted that it "looked like it should be fine" thinking you could just keep an eye on it and replace it when the time came - I didn't follow my own rules trying to save you some trouble. If you wait for it to break you can rest assured it will happen at the most inopportune time as has been pointed out. If it were mine "I" would replace it and not wait for the inevitable. I've replaced quite a few of them "just because" but in your case it is warranted. Not only are you in ND but if I read your original post right you used super glue on it to.....hold it together or stop it from leaking?? Either way I would suggest replacing it.
Old 06-16-2024, 02:08 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I would replace it if it were mine. With my luck, we'd be just shy of nowhere and when I flush the front would come off like a claymore mine and my dear wife would be hysterically Google "nearest emergency room", or "how the best way to remove blood stains from RV walls". Don't ask in what order...
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 02:16 PM   #8
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I would replace it if it were mine. With my luck, we'd be just shy of nowhere and when I flush the front would come off like a claymore mine and my dear wife would be hysterically Google "nearest emergency room", or "how the best way to remove blood stains from RV walls". Don't ask in what order...
No confidence in the flimsy seat protecting you thru the ordeal?
Yep, I can visualize this catastrophe, lacerated butt cheeks, but the family jewels survive as the front of the 310 fell away.

I will stop before sourdough gets offended.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 03:24 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

I replaced my original toilet (Thetford Aqua Magic) with a Dometic 320 tall. The shape and height make it more comfortable. With no water hooked up or if you have a toilet supply shut off valve with the water off, it only takes a few minutes to replace the old toilet. There is no was seal and you just drop the new toilet in place, tighten the mount nuts and connect the water supply. I installed a shut off valve in the supply line and can't recall why as it really isn't needed unless the toilet starts leaking (generally the water valve in the toilet) when you are camping and you are connected to city water.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 04:33 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I replaced my original toilet (Thetford Aqua Magic) with a Dometic 320 tall. The shape and height make it more comfortable. With no water hooked up or if you have a toilet supply shut off valve with the water off, it only takes a few minutes to replace the old toilet. There is no was seal and you just drop the new toilet in place, tighten the mount nuts and connect the water supply. I installed a shut off valve in the supply line and can't recall why as it really isn't needed unless the toilet starts leaking (generally the water valve in the toilet) when you are camping and you are connected to city water.

Because if you don't install the valve you shut the water off to the trailer. If your "I'm ready to do this now" somehow has a conflict with her "I want to do this now" then you have a problem....or I do. Then, the job waits and the toilet leaks.
Old 06-17-2024, 05:52 AM   #11
Freder

We're in a RV park in northern MN. Deliveries every day from just about any online store. We're going to ride this one out for awhile and most likely replace in the near future. The why it happened is a good question. We didn’t have a terribly cold winter, however I can understand the stress fracture. With the way its designed it should be self draining. Now I'll be having nightmares about possible personal problems if it should self destruct while in use.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:00 AM   #12
Freder

I didn't notice any leakage nor any movement when some pressure was applied to the area. The crack is only on the top and does not follow around the edge of the bowl. But I used the very thin super glue to stabilize it. At least in my mind.
Old 06-17-2024, 08:20 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
No confidence in the flimsy seat protecting you thru the ordeal?
Yep, I can visualize this catastrophe, lacerated butt cheeks, but the family jewels survive as the front of the 310 fell away.

I will stop before sourdough gets offended.

Sourdough get offended? By what - it's very hard to offend sourdough? Please expound on the comment.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:25 AM   #14
Freder

My butt thanks you. However the story of a wasp in an old outhouse would probably get you crying with laughter. Oh the pain, excessive agony and a trip to the Dr. But I'm much better now. Some camping stories you never forget.
Thank you all for you comments on the 310.
Old 06-18-2024, 07:10 AM   #15
dutchmensport

Probably not as funny as your wasp story, but I had an event like that. When I was about 8 years old my parents had a brand new Phoenix Travel Trailer (1963). One of the early trips we took with it was to my Dad's cousin's cottage on a lake in Northern Indiana. The cottage had no bathroom, only an outhouse. It was a fabulous place, along the channel between two huge lakes. Dad's cousin had a pontoon boat, a speed boat, all kinds of water toys. It was a paradise. In addition, he had 3 other cousins that had cottages within a 5 minute walk.

Well anyway, Dad parked the camper at the side of the cottage and plugged into an outlet. Then it happened. I had to "go". I dashed to the outhouse and did my business. No problem. But, on the way out a wasp came flying from no where and landed right in the middle of my nose and stabbed me! Now, talk about close-up observation! I was horrified, screamed my head off, ran around panicked, and everyone though I'd lost my mind.

Long story short, my nose swelled up as big as a baseball and hurt for days. From that moment on I had a paranoia of out houses!
dutchmensport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic