Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2024, 10:05 AM   #1
Rubicon

Water Leak

We have a 2013 Keystone Passport Ultralight
Any suggestions appreciated...we noticed some stains on our wallpaper near our mattress and the wallpaper not looking smooth anymore. We resealed the roof to fixed the water leak. We removed the cabinets by the mattress and pulled back the wallboard to find a mess. Water stains everywhere. Pulled all insulation and the rest of the wallboard.

Looking for suggestions in two areas...
Do I reseal the whole roof (white UV sealant/protectant) or am I wasting money? I don't want this happening again. Also what to do about the paneling options?

TIA!!!
Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 11:52 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
We have a 2013 Keystone Passport Ultralight
Any suggestions appreciated...we noticed some stains on our wallpaper near our mattress and the wallpaper not looking smooth anymore. We resealed the roof to fixed the water leak. We removed the cabinets by the mattress and pulled back the wallboard to find a mess. Water stains everywhere. Pulled all insulation and the rest of the wallboard.

Looking for suggestions in two areas...
Do I reseal the whole roof (white UV sealant/protectant) or am I wasting money? I don't want this happening again. Also what to do about the paneling options?

TIA!!!
Just to be clear, UV sealant isn't what leaked down your wall. That would be H2O. Suggest your purchase some Dicor and reseal the roof edges of the whole roof, the front cap line and the rear edge and all penetrations. Use Dicor self leveling on flat areas and NON self leveling on roof edges as it will otherwise run down the sides when the roof gets wet.

You will need to give a more complete description and maybe some pictures to figure out how to restore the wallboard and other water damaged areas.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 11:54 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

All but one of the 2013 Passport models had the main bed on the front wall of the trailer. I'm guessing that is where your bed is located... If so, there is a metal "joiner strip" that secures the TPO roof membrane to the front wall FILON panel. That metal joiner strip is notorious for leaking because it is not properly sealed. There also are two clearance lights on the upper part of the front FILON panel that do leak and cause the type of damage you posted... Also, there is an awning rail that's mounted at the upper sidewall of the trailer that on many floorplans extends nearly to the front FILON panel. There's also a 14x14 inch "square hole" where the roof vent is located. There may or may not be an antenna or other "roof components" that are secured over the bed. Finally, there are moldings with "rain gutters" along the top of the sidewalls that secure the TPO roof membrane to the sidewalls of the trailer. The corners where that molding/rain gutter meet the front FILON panel can be a source for the leak or leaks...

Any one or any combination of the above can be the source of your water intrusion....

As for "sealing the entire roof", you should have been inspecting and resealing the entire roof and all projections through the roof membrane as well as all the moldings on the roof on a regular basis. Keystone recommends an inspection every 3 months and resealing any questionable sealant or possible leaks at every inspection....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 12:17 PM   #4
Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just to be clear, UV sealant isn't what leaked down your wall. That would be H2O. Suggest your purchase some Dicor and reseal the roof edges of the whole roof, the front cap line and the rear edge and all penetrations. Use Dicor self leveling on flat areas and NON self leveling on roof edges as it will otherwise run down the sides when the roof gets wet.

You will need to give a more complete description and maybe some pictures to figure out how to restore the wallboard and other water damaged areas.
Thank you I guess I should have been more specific. We did reseal the all areas on the roof and that took care of the leak. I was just wondering if I should put a UV protectant on the rest of the roof. I know that is was H2O and not the sealant.
Old 06-14-2024, 12:19 PM   #5
Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
All but one of the 2013 Passport models had the main bed on the front wall of the trailer. I'm guessing that is where your bed is located... If so, there is a metal "joiner strip" that secures the TPO roof membrane to the front wall FILON panel. That metal joiner strip is notorious for leaking because it is not properly sealed. There also are two clearance lights on the upper part of the front FILON panel that do leak and cause the type of damage you posted... Also, there is an awning rail that's mounted at the upper sidewall of the trailer that on many floorplans extends nearly to the front FILON panel. There's also a 14x14 inch "square hole" where the roof vent is located. There may or may not be an antenna or other "roof components" that are secured over the bed. Finally, there are moldings with "rain gutters" along the top of the sidewalls that secure the TPO roof membrane to the sidewalls of the trailer. The corners where that molding/rain gutter meet the front FILON panel can be a source for the leak or leaks...

Any one or any combination of the above can be the source of your water intrusion....

As for "sealing the entire roof", you should have been inspecting and resealing the entire roof and all projections through the roof membrane as well as all the moldings on the roof on a regular basis. Keystone recommends an inspection every 3 months and resealing any questionable sealant or possible leaks at every inspection....
We believe the leak was coming from the top front rail as we resealed the rail and all other areas on the roof and the leak has stopped.
Now to find replacement paneling for the front wall.
Old 06-14-2024, 04:19 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Any dealer can order replacement luan sheeting from Keystone. The "trick" is to get them to have Keystone put the luan sheets in the next trailer that is scheduled to be delivered to that dealership. Doing so will save you the OUTRAGEOUS shipping charges for one or two 4x8 sheets of 1/8" luan. You can expect that if you have to pay shipping, the charges to get the couple of sheets to you will be 10-15 times the cost of the luan. Most dealers will work with you, but get with the parts manager before telling the front desk parts clerk to order it for you.....

As for "sunscreen" or UV protectant or "roof conditioner", Alpha Systems says that no protectant or conditioner is required for the life of the membrane.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-14-2024, 04:28 PM   #7
Rubicon

Thank you...we did ask a local dealer and the price was crazy ridiculous. Did not know you could ask a dealer to do that.
Old 06-14-2024, 04:33 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
Thank you...we did ask a local dealer and the price was crazy ridiculous. Did not know you could ask a dealer to do that.
Some "customer oriented dealerships" will be happy to do that for a customer. Other "money hungry dealerships" will "soak you for every penny they can get out of your pocket"... The trick is to find a dealership that wants your business more than they want the contents of your wallet...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
leak, water, water leak