Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

What to do with all this stuff!!

I probably know the answer to the question posed but always look forward to members ideas....and, while we are "stuck", it's at least something to talk about;

Recently sold the bumper pull and bought the 5th wheel. With that comes a lot of changes. A couple I'm grappling with; the Equalizer hitch and the BakFlip G2 bed cover. Why you may ask?

Obviously the Equalizer is no longer needed. The BakFlip, which I really like, is a flip/fold top that now blocks my vision of the in bed hitch. It's going away so I can put in a new "roll up" cover. My issue is this - what to do with them?

Many folks like to "sell" things. I don't. Many use Craigslist; I tried twice and the effort/worry wasn't worth the perceived benefit that never materialized. Tried one garage sale in my life and DW and I said never again - that was in the 70s. Sold an inherited house full of nice stuff; sold it for peanuts and everything in it. Just sold a vacation home in the mountains at way below rock bottom price...and included $$thousands in items that I didn't want to deal with selling....including my Jeep! So that's how I am and that's the backdrop -

The Equalizer and bed cover are sort of expensive. Most stuff here in our little town I just give to the little Thrift store - these aren't in the realm of what they do. I'm not going to spend money to give them away so someone can pay $50 then go sell them for a few hundred. I want them to go to someone that can use them, that needs them, to have them - not try to make a profit from my laziness . Any ideas on how to approach that? Our town is small. We've got RVs here but not sure if anyone needs these things. I figure I'll put an ad in the local paper but figure someone is going to try to pick them up to resell....and they won't like me.

I know it's sort of a pointless question but I really am sort of grasping at straws at how to best take care of them. They are big and relatively heavy (along with the tow bar for the Jeep that has to go) and take up room I need for other stuff. All thoughts appreciated.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Brantlyj

I think both of these would sell well on Craigslist.

I know you don’t like Facebook but they have a marketplace and I sell a lot of stuff on there. Just recently sold all the kitchen appliances I replaced. I made $500 on 15 year old appliances. If you have a friend or kids that are on Facebook maybe have them list it and buy them dinner for their trouble?

You could try e-bay with a local pick-up. Those items are just to heavy or cumbersome to ship.
Only other thing I can think of would be a pawn shop, but your probably not going to get much from there.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #3
CedarCreekWoody

List them in the classified section here or on other forums. Pick a fair price then list it a bit lower. Post a photo with it. I recently sold my equalizer that way. Quick and easy. And free.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
hornet28

I'd take the time and effort to sell them. But you want them gone, don't want to be bothered trying to sell them and are willing to give them away. But want to be selective in who gets them, right? If their out of your hair with no fuss no muss why care if someone makes a buck. They're investing time and energy in doing what you don't want to do
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #5
travelin texans

Lately I've given this type stuff to my son that doesn't mind listing on online sites & split the money with him.
He usually has had good luck on the "Offer Up" site. Anymore Craigslist has too many scammers to deal with.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
You want them gone, don't want to be bothered trying to sell them and are willing to give them away. But want to be selective in who gets them, right? If their out of your hair with no fuss no muss why care if someone makes a buck. They're investing time and energy in doing what you don't want to do

Sorry, but I don't agree - it's the principle and the intent of giving it away. Live in a place where lots of folks pick up junk at a cheap price, put it in their yard and resell it to "someone" for an inflated price - while cheap in comparison to retail they are still overpriced - and sold to folks that would have benefited from a cheaper, non 2nd party, price. I figure someone needs those items - actually needs them, not have to buy them at some "inflated, no skin the game, price". And, yes, I am selective in anything and everything I do. And no, I CAN take the time to do something I don't want to do, but prefer to do things on my terms...all the time - and, not be bothered as best I can these days.

Edit: my response was not meant to be testy; your observations are appreciated and understood.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
I think both of these would sell well on Craigslist.

I know you don’t like Facebook but they have a marketplace and I sell a lot of stuff on there. Just recently sold all the kitchen appliances I replaced. I made $500 on 15 year old appliances. If you have a friend or kids that are on Facebook maybe have them list it and buy them dinner for their trouble?

You could try e-bay with a local pick-up. Those items are just to heavy or cumbersome to ship.
Only other thing I can think of would be a pawn shop, but your probably not going to get much from there.

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't like facebook; I've gotten 3 viruses from it (years ago) so don't really mess with it. The items are heavy so shipping is out of the question; was thinking there might be an avenue I haven't thought of or someone on the forum near me (200 miles or so) that I could take them to. They will now be a pain in the tail to me but worth enough to try to get to someone they would benefit.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
List them in the classified section here or on other forums. Pick a fair price then list it a bit lower. Post a photo with it. I recently sold my equalizer that way. Quick and easy. And free.

Woody, how did you get the Equalizer from you to the other party? I assume they were close?
Old 03-27-2020, 08:54 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Lately I've given this type stuff to my son that doesn't mind listing on online sites & split the money with him.
He usually has had good luck on the "Offer Up" site. Anymore Craigslist has too many scammers to deal with.

Thanks Danny. My son in law does Craigslist a lot. He might actually be able to help. Although he lives in FL I suppose he could list them for sale in my neck of the woods with my contact info. I think I'll see what he says.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:56 AM   #10
JDDilly

I would keep the bakflip. I have one and they are great with the 5er. You can leave it partly closed when hooked up so you r stuff in the front of the box a somewhat protected. I got this one when someone cut my roll-up cover a took my Honda generator. Gives you a little more security.
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:09 AM   #11
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Woody, how did you get the Equalizer from you to the other party? I assume they were close?
Yes, they were 75 miles away (Dallas). I met them part way for the exchange. I sold it at a low price to someone just getting back into RVing for their own use.

I understand your thinking (and agree) so I priced it low to move it quickly. It might help if you list your current location on here in case anyone nearby is interested. I think you travel a lot, right?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:44 AM   #12
dutchmensport

We have given away so much camping RV stuff over the years, I can't even remember it all. The biggest "give-aways" occurred when we went from one camper to the next. Some items just become obsolete with the new camper. And we've done this 5 times now.

What I do is, pack the "old, unwanted" stuff away at home. Then when camping, I'll take an item or two with us. I'll walk the campground then and try to find a fellow camper that could use the item, many times, looking for a camper that was the same make and model that I previously had and then just approach them and ask if they want the item. I have never been told "no."

We switched hitches from a Reese to an Equalizer. I had extra clips and snaps for the Reese. I walked the campground and looked for someone who had the same hitch and gave them all my extra parts. They were elated.

Then came the day, like you, we switched from a travel trailer to a fifth wheel. I put the Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch in the garage and just waited. Well, a year later, at work they hired a new contractor who had a home in Kansas City and he would be working (near Indianapolis) for about 2 years. I heard him talking to an RV dealership on the phone in Anderson, Indiana (which is near where I live), and they were negotiating prices. In the midst of the conversation, he mentioned hitches. After the phone call, I talked to him and told him he could have mine ... free ... and save himself $600 on a new one. The next day, I brought it into the office (well, parking lot), and he took it. He indeed used it to tow the new trailer and he's been living in the trailer at a campground South of Indianapolis ever since.

2 things came from this. I got rid of a very heavy and (now) worthless piece of equipment, and he gain completely free, a very (valuable) piece of equipment for him.

It was a win-win.

My suggestion ... keep those items. It's quite obvious, you...like me, do not like to haggle with reselling. So, find the opportunity and someday, find the right person and give it to them. You both will gain from it!

That's my suggestion.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:37 AM   #13
spade117

If I was anywhere near you, I'd take them off your hands. I had been looking at going from the 2 point to a 4 point.

My tonneau cover is over 10 yrs old and is gonna have to be replaced soon.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:32 PM   #14
Ksupaul

Could you spy anyone with their bumper dragging the ground and stop by and after a conversation if you still feel good about them offer the equalizer? I ask because thats exactly how I got mine. Was getting by on first trailer for a few 1-2 mile only trips. Old timer stopped by, made small talk about the trailer. Wasn’t judging, even though I knew my overloaded truck was what caught his eye. He offered up the hitch for free. I wouldn’t stand for it but only got him to take the 3 $20’s I had in my wallet. Still am eternally grateful.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #15
Gegrad

I sold my Equalizer hitch on Craigslist shortly after I bought my trailer in July 2017. Just did a meet up in a local Whole Foods and sold it to an older fellow who had just purchased his first rig. The key is people will find you from a decent bit away through Craigslist. So don't worry about being in a small town.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #16
tubacjohn

Ig you just want to give it away: https://www.freecycle.org
tubacjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #17
Spletbr

We too moved this year from a TT To a Montana HC FW. I sold WDH, 30 amp stuff, etc on Facebook Marketplace with ease and good success. Also used it when we moved across state lines to a smaller house in PA. Like it a lot.
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:25 PM   #18
Nate805

I would like to purchase any home, trailer, or vehicle that you seem to typically sell well below market value! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Nate805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:22 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate805 View Post
I would like to purchase any home, trailer, or vehicle that you seem to typically sell well below market value! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Whoops! Sorry. Just sold our mountain home for about 1/2 of its market value.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #20
Eastham

Maybe take a ride through Walmart and check out some of the trailers parked overnight.and try to determine who needs it the most.Make there day.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote