Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #61
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
If this emergency has spotlighted one uncomfortable truth for those of us in the age-bracket crosshairs, it's how naive it is to make the assumption that one can confidently postpone anything for a year.
Not sure about you, but I'm planning to still be active and doing my own thing at age 100. I'm planning that financially and physically. Just as I wouldn't go out and "spend all my savings before 76 (and be on welfare at 77), I don't/won't stop planning trips for age 77. YMMV, but I'm definitely planning to be as big a PITA to my kids at age 90 as they were to me at age 9

My funeral will hopefully be an "event" where I "slide into home plate, dirty, tattered, out of breath and a few hours late for the event, not "pristine and well manicured for survivors to admire my beauty"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #62
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
I just travelled pulling a 35ft 5th wheel, from Mission Texas to Detroit Michigan.

I would not recommend you travel.

Something is going to happen, not sure what, but it ain't good.

Let the dust settle, then you'll be good to go, but for now it ain't a good idea.

Regards.
Are you staying around Detroit for a while or are you planning to continue your trip toward Toronto? If already in Canada, how was crossing the border in Windsor???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #63
flybouy
Site Team

We cancelled our reservations for mid April trip to MT Airy, MD BBQ festival. MD governor held press conference today making non-essential travel illegal until end of April. He also said no travel out of the state unless it's "absolutely necessary" Up to 1 yr/$5K fine. Schools closed until 4/24, then I guess they'll reassess.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #64
hankpage
Site Team

I am not optimistic that summer will have much effect on this virus. It has been in high 80℉ here in SW Florida for well over a week and virus numbers are still rising.
This is one old fart that is not going very far away from the old stick and brick anytime soon. I want to be around to help John blow out those 100 candles. (just have to remember to turn off our oxygen first)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #65
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Are you staying around Detroit for a while or are you planning to continue your trip toward Toronto? If already in Canada, how was crossing the border in Windsor???
We have crossed into Canada, on Ambassador Bridge, which should be called The Obstacle Course. It was easy, we were told in no uncertain terms by a very nice Canadian Border Patrol lady to drive home, to stop only for gas, no shopping, nothing, and to confine ourselves for 14 days. Failure to do so could result in hefty fines and/or arrest.

We stopped for pee breaks at rest areas and a trucker told us, some RVers had been arrested for walking in to go pee. We used our RV facilities.

We're home and happy now.

Pretty serious stuff.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #66
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
We have crossed into Canada, on Ambassador Bridge, which should be called The Obstacle Course. It was easy, we were told in no uncertain terms by a very nice Canadian Border Patrol lady to drive home, to stop only for gas, no shopping, nothing, and to confine ourselves for 14 days. Failure to do so could result in hefty fines and/or arrest.

Pretty serious stuff.
We crossed at Roosville BC (Eureka MT) March 23 and got the same advise. Home and hunkered down now.
Still have a DD and SIL in Yuma AZ. Couple of Rednecks. Not coming back to Alberta until next week. They don't see a problem???

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #67
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Still have a DD and SIL in Yuma AZ. Couple of Rednecks. Not coming back to Alberta until next week. They don't see a problem???
Yuma County and Connecticut are almost identical in area. As of this hour, Connecticut has 2500+ cases, Yuma County has 12. There are worse places to ride this out.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #68
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
We crossed at Roosville BC (Eureka MT) March 23 and got the same advise. Home and hunkered down now.
Some complained about needless abbreviations making a post hard to read. DD? SIL?

My sis and bro-in-law camped on our property for a month then headed home this last Friday to E. Tennessee. He is a frequent visitor to the VA Hospital right across the border in North Carolina and he told me NC just closed the border to anyone not having their state tags. Bro-in-law is kind of at a loss. Hope this stuff wraps sooner than later.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #69
JRTJH
Site Team

George,

I don't think any policeman would stop him "at the state line" if he has a document stating that he has an appointment at the VA hospital. Nobody would want to accept the liability of stopping a patient from receiving medical care....

The bigger (and more appropriate) question is whether the VA hospital will make "regular appointments for patient care" by scheduling people with no "viral infection/viral symptoms" to "come on in and risk exposure"

I'd guess (based on working in health care at the VA) that he couldn't get an appointment for "routine care" on a bet.... Even with emergencies, they'll likely tell him to see his local provider and send the VA the bill..... They won't be scheduling him with any appointments for regular care for a while.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #70
flybouy
Site Team

Our PCP did a follow up visit with us the day after we got out of the hospital. DW and I had all the symptoms but ended up being severe bronchial infection. So he sent us a link on the phone and we had a "telemed" phone conversation/video conference. My endocrinologist called today and the appointment in mid April we be "telemed" instead of a "in person" visit. I'm guessing this will be the way of the future.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:56 PM   #71
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Our PCP did a follow up visit with us the day after we got out of the hospital. DW and I had all the symptoms but ended up being severe bronchial infection. So he sent us a link on the phone and we had a "telemed" phone conversation/video conference. My endocrinologist called today and the appointment in mid April we be "telemed" instead of a "in person" visit. I'm guessing this will be the way of the future.
Since my last post, my endocrinologist indicated that tele-visits would be the norm for the extent of the health crisis and that co-pays would apply. Probably will just cancel my tele chats and watch Dr. Oz on TV... likely cheaper.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:03 AM   #72
slimchancepistolero

i have diabetes and that has cause the blood vessels my eyes to "seep" ... i get shots in my eyes about every 8 to 12 weeks for the last 2 yrs now ... this wednesday, april 1, is my next appointment for a shot ... call the DR office cause there waiting room is usally about 50 people crowded in a small room for 2 to 3 hours, very busy, they said ALL appointment are cancelled till further notice, only injection and emergenies will be retained... before you enter the building you will be screened for CV-19 ... currently on april 1 they expect 10 injection patients, they will be spaced to govt guidelines ... they said not to worry, they are following ALL govt guidelines ..... that helped
2010 Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring 195rb
2019 Ram 1500 Larime Hemi w/eTorque quad cab
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4L Hemi 5th whl prep
slimchancepistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:31 AM   #73
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Yuma County and Connecticut are almost identical in area. As of this hour, Connecticut has 2500+ cases, Yuma County has 12. There are worse places to ride this out.
Connecticut's population as of 2010 was 3.4 million density is 738 /sq mile
Yuma's population as of 2010 was 196,000 density is 35.5 / sq mile
just a wee bit of a difference. The whole state is 63 / sq. mile

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:37 AM   #74
LHaven

Yes, that's just another part of the reason why it's a better place to ride out an epidemic. Plenty of personal space, and you don't have to share it with throngs of possibly infectious people.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:50 AM   #75
Northofu1

The greater Toronto Area Pop density as of 2018 is 7,131.2 / sq mile. NYC is 17,496, and Vancouver is 8,788.
I'm relatively healthy, I haven't had the flu since my kids grew up, don't get the shots. I was sick starting March 19, I'm over it now, it was mild. I can see how badly it could affect the aged.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #76
GHen

The population of my 20 acres is 2, plus the deer and rattlesnakes.
I got plenty to do for the next couple months in the shop and around the property. Trying to leave only once every 2 weeks to get grocery’s and go to the hardware store. When returning from Arizona in February we stopped in Vegas and stocked up on booze
Once I get the pool ready for warmer weather we are all set, as long as I stay out of my wife’s way, I’m occasionally driving her nuts.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:26 PM   #77
SummitPond

Here's a spreadsheet from another site that lists state-by-state info and is supposed to be updated periodically.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:39 PM   #78
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not a fan of "quarantines" or being told not to go anywhere and I am, and have been, very vocal about that. Observing social distancing, crowds etc. during this time is just common sense to me but....

Late yesterday a pretty urgent event began to unfold with my family in FL. Stayed on the phone all evening and most of the night with various family members trying to come up with a plan. The most viable it seemed was for us to load up and return to FL with our RV. I spent this afternoon digging into a trip from TX to FL and came to a decision - we aren't going.

Very similar to the chain requirement, or lack thereof, on an Andersen 5th wheel hitch, leaving the interpretation of whatever guidelines to a local LEO, trying to travel across various jurisdictions appears to be daunting IF this thing continues to spiral out of control.

I called TX DPS, TX Dept. of Health, FL Dept. of Health (talked to the Asst. Deputy Director), FL Highway Patrol, Wakulla Cty. FL Sheriff's dept. and on an on. Expect roadblocks; delays; diversions possible depending on where you have been..... I asked if I would be required to turn around and go back where I came from....not at this time. If I get out of TX will I be able to return? Restrictions if I come through LA at the moment but it could get more strict. IF I make it to FL can I use a private RV campground? That is governed by each county and can change at a moments notice. If there and the state locks down travel could I return to my home in TX? No.

Although DW STILL wanted me to force this trip I showed her the stats; 89% of the fatalities from this virus in FL are in folks over 60. Governor DeSantis said if you plan on coming to FL, don't - we don't want you. I suspect this is playing out, and will play out further, in the weeks to come.

Everyone can make their own choices, and in our case I truly should go, and would, in other circumstances, but given it is very possible it could be a life or death decision for us given the right circumstances (unknown to us at the moment) I choose to hang tight, stay safe and let this blow over - I've had 52 anniversaries and want a couple dozen more . If my daughter's life hung in the balance based on my presence I would be there but that is not the case.

For me, too many variables. Too many unknowns. Too much risk. Too little gain. Add those to the fact that what you know at any given moment or day can, and will, change in a heartbeat....and not to your liking for the foreseeable future. Very unlike me, but unless it is a bonafide, life or death situation, I would urge folks to just do their best at keeping close to home and minimize exposure for the time being. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:17 AM   #79
mfifield01

I wouldn't leave the state right now. I would feel comfortable traveling in state.

I took a look at state park reservations yesterday. It seems that more people are camping now versus last year at this time. There are some basic restrictions (online only reservations, no tent camping, limiting day use, etc.).
Old 04-01-2020, 07:35 AM   #80
GHen

I would agree, not a good idea to leave the state. When buying our current home, one requirement was to be within 1 hour of a good medical facility. If I had a major medical event as I get older, being close to services could be the difference in life and death.
On the other hand, I have no problem driving through 100’s of miles of nothing to get somewhere to temporarily camp. I’ve taken a certain amount of risk my whole life. My insurance company told me I could fly airplanes, just don’t jump out of them, ha.

Now with the virus, there are all kinds of new risks to consider. Not just going to a higher risk area with more cases. Not just the risk of catching the virus at a rest area or while pumping gas. Not just the risk of taking the virus unknowingly to another state. But once I get there, what happens to us if we get it. Can/should I leave the state with the virus, or travel through multiple states to get home. Will I be put in a hospital with 100’s of other people with the virus, where they are already using every respiratory available. Will I die 1000 miles from my family and then be stored in some temporary mortuary for 6 months because I’m a virus death.

Me, I’m staying home, with a strong hospital system that is not at capacity. Close to family, ready to be taken when the time comes but not be a burden to the family or others during this whole mess. I got lots of home projects I should have done last year, time to get them finished.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote