Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

New Montana HC Question

As I familiarize myself with this new trailer I run across stuff I've not experienced with bumper pulls. At the moment I'm looking for feedback on the front storage compartment where a generator would go.

We won't have a generator so was intending to use that space for additional storage. Looking it over today (during lulls in the rain) I noticed I see daylight all over the place through the bottom and sides. They appear to be intentional slots and cutouts. Is this normal and if so why? It already has vents for the batteries and I assume a generator is used. It makes me really leery of them but don't want to start sealing stuff if there is a need for them. I have had many water intrusions, particularly on the front of a trailer and I hate having those holes where water can get into "something"; they are right under the front of the trailer right behind the tail end of the truck. In the same place the coroplast on my new trailer (last one) completely peeled back and became a huge water scoop. Just want to avoid any recurrence of those kinds of things. Any insight is greatly appreciated....got the goop, spray foam and anything/everything else standing by...
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
edward willis

Have the same holes on the 5th wheel. I used what you have and sealed them shut. Haven,t had any ptoblems.
edward willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny,

The spaces around the front landing gear, I sealed with expanding foam from below. All of the "small slits, spaces in the metal flooring and the "emergency landing gear hand crank hole" I used foil duct tape. That was 5 or 6 years ago and still "water tight".

For us, the weather causes as much condensation with cold outside/warm inside, especially on the metal floor in that compartment, so I cut a sheet of half inch rigid foam, laid it on the floor and that stopped nearly all of the "sweating" in that compartment.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
CedarCreekWoody

I sealed mine with the foil duct tape.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

So far I've just left mine.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks all. I suspected that I wanted to seal all those holes/slits - now I know. Thanks again. If the rain will stop I will cover the bottom with the 1/2" hard foam and then have to move to covering the underside (wheelwells) with uhmw. And....I had the old one all fixed up...
Old 03-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Thanks all. I suspected that I wanted to seal all those holes/slits - now I know. Thanks again. If the rain will stop I will cover the bottom with the 1/2" hard foam and then have to move to covering the underside (wheelwells) with uhmw. And....I had the old one all fixed up...
That is EXACTLY why I still drag a 2014 Cougar rather than a 2020 or 2021 model. Doing all of those "move-in mods" is not only expensive, it gets more painful the older I get.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That is EXACTLY why I still drag a 2014 Cougar rather than a 2020 or 2021 model. Doing all of those "move-in mods" is not only expensive, it gets more painful the older I get.....

John, KEEP IT!!

When we bought our 2014 Cougar High Country I told them I wanted the "best" luxury bumper pull they had...that was it. They had not been able to move it because of the price. I wanted it and it WAS nice. Fast forward; DW wanted a W/D. I wanted a GD Reflection 337 or a Cougar 315RLS. Due to dealerships; locations and what they sold I decided on a 315RLS. Then, DW said she wanted a w/d, then I was told the 315rls could only handle the combo unit...a no go for me. Now have the Montana HC 331RL.

When looking at units we looked at Wildcat, Solitude, Reflection, Cedar Creek, Montana, Montana HC, and many others. The bottom line was cost vs what you got and a dealer we trusted. Ended up with CW and the HC.

I made walks thru the Montanas, the HCs and Cougars many times. I always felt the Cougar was nicer....not nearly as nice as ours but nicer than the Montana and HC. Then we hit the "trying to buy" stage and made one 5 minute walk thru on the HC in FL. In the end of the ones we had looked at it was the only one that would accommodate a full w/d. So the purchase process began back in TX.

Here's my assessment after about a week of ownership of the HC; I should have went with a GD Reflection or a Montana...I think. I say that due to a lot of disappointment in the lack of "upscale" touches in the HC. In reality it feels like the first entry level trailer I ever bought. I'm not happy but DW loves the bathroom.

Our Cougar High Country had solid wood doors and stiles..they "clunked" instead of rattled. You could not make the walls "bow" anywhere. The countertops were actually Corian (or close) and were far thicker than the ones in the HC or full blown Montana. You could rap your knuckle on them and they sounded like granite; these sound like 1/4" plastic. Any transitions were covered with wood transition strips, this one has the covering just sort of "taped" over the next area. We had good appliances; Furrion is, well, cheap. I'm going to give this a go for a bit but don't know that I can deal with it. But back you your point....YES keep that older unit especially when you have "bulletproofed" it. The new ones; semi luxury or "luxury" (Keystone) have fallen a long way from what they used to be. JMO
Old 03-14-2020, 04:19 AM   #9
GeekSquadOfUn

I couldn't have said it better.

In our case, we went with the Cougar 315RLS and are very happy. Our best friends did go for your model. For them the dual sink bathroom was the clincher.

I feel the same, that the Cougar looked better and had more modern features.

Our previous 2010 Sabre 31REDS was a notch above in quality and finish...

The solid counter tops are indeed disappointing in that they show scratches so easily, it ain't Corian for sure.

On the whole, we're very happy. But I still yearn for a Toyota/Honda/Mazda RV. Just like American car makers had to be shaken up by them to make better cars, they would increase the level of quality in RVs.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:55 AM   #10
chunker

Quote:
John, KEEP IT!!
on't know that I can deal with it. But back you your point....YES keep that older unit especially when you have "bulletproofed" it. The new ones; semi luxury or "luxury" (Keystone) have fallen a long way from what they used to be. JMO
Thus the dilemma an RV buyer faces. They unfortunately don't make any "older models" anymore and in this price point all are cheaply made, pumped out as fast as they can, and the buyer becomes the final assembly and finishing point. I have a lot of trepidation about the new Raptor, hopeful I got a good on, fearful I'll have to rely on the dealer quality to make things right. I'm handy but that doesn't help when cheap junk like Furrion stuff is installed. My motorhome, soon to be gone, has real Corian not fake laminated layered soft stuff. Real wood cabinets and framing, maple, and Moen(buy it once buy it for life) fixtures. I know I'm getting MDF, plastic cheap fixtures, etc., etc., etc.

I'll deal with it or dump it. I'm too old to fret and hang onto junk. Fortunately I've been financially smart, not rich but smart, so at my stage in life move on from junk. Hoping for the best though.

That said Tuesday I'll deliver my coach to the dealer as part of the trade, Wednesday I'll take the truck and my inspection tools for the PDI and hopefully we will go home that day as really happy campers. Oh one stop on the way home, CAT scales for whole and half weights.

EDIT ADD; Sorry only one pic that the salesman sent me. I did go by yesterday and gawk at it, and it's nice. Once I get it home I'll be able to add some better pics if anyone is interested. FBP makes an RV really pop and when it showed up on the lot it started attracting a lot of attention. My salesman, really great guy, made them put in the fenced back lot away from the public.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	25555  
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:40 AM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
John, KEEP IT!!

When we bought our 2014 Cougar High Country I told them I wanted the "best" luxury bumper pull they had...that was it. They had not been able to move it because of the price. I wanted it and it WAS nice. Fast forward; DW wanted a W/D. I wanted a GD Reflection 337 or a Cougar 315RLS. Due to dealerships; locations and what they sold I decided on a 315RLS. Then, DW said she wanted a w/d, then I was told the 315rls could only handle the combo unit...a no go for me. Now have the Montana HC 331RL.

When looking at units we looked at Wildcat, Solitude, Reflection, Cedar Creek, Montana, Montana HC, and many others. The bottom line was cost vs what you got and a dealer we trusted. Ended up with CW and the HC.

I made walks thru the Montanas, the HCs and Cougars many times. I always felt the Cougar was nicer....not nearly as nice as ours but nicer than the Montana and HC. Then we hit the "trying to buy" stage and made one 5 minute walk thru on the HC in FL. In the end of the ones we had looked at it was the only one that would accommodate a full w/d. So the purchase process began back in TX.

Here's my assessment after about a week of ownership of the HC; I should have went with a GD Reflection or a Montana...I think. I say that due to a lot of disappointment in the lack of "upscale" touches in the HC. In reality it feels like the first entry level trailer I ever bought. I'm not happy but DW loves the bathroom.

Our Cougar High Country had solid wood doors and stiles..they "clunked" instead of rattled. You could not make the walls "bow" anywhere. The countertops were actually Corian (or close) and were far thicker than the ones in the HC or full blown Montana. You could rap your knuckle on them and they sounded like granite; these sound like 1/4" plastic. Any transitions were covered with wood transition strips, this one has the covering just sort of "taped" over the next area. We had good appliances; Furrion is, well, cheap. I'm going to give this a go for a bit but don't know that I can deal with it. But back you your point....YES keep that older unit especially when you have "bulletproofed" it. The new ones; semi luxury or "luxury" (Keystone) have fallen a long way from what they used to be. JMO
Danny, are you 100% sure of the solid wood stiles in the cabinets? I believe only the very high end manufacturers use solid wood stiles. Real wood is just way too expensive.
Our 2005 Sprinter by Keystone Copper Canyon, I know this is not a super high end unit, but based on how it was ordered was up-fitted by first owners. We have beautiful solid wood arched raised panel cabinet doors, but the stiles are good old compressed sawdust covered with a wood looking wrap. This is standard on about 97% of all brands build.
I have replaced two cabinet face frames due to moisture damage. Materials for both, real oak 3/4” thick, ran about $140. One is the back of our sink peninsula the other is the cabinet frame where our TV is floor to ceiling cabinet frame 2 rails and 6 stiles.
Even the Grand Design Solitudes I have looked at have pressed wood frames.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Danny, are you 100% sure of the solid wood stiles in the cabinets? I believe only the very high end manufacturers use solid wood stiles. Real wood is just way too expensive.
Our 2005 Sprinter by Keystone Copper Canyon, I know this is not a super high end unit, but based on how it was ordered was up-fitted by first owners. We have beautiful solid wood arched raised panel cabinet doors, but the stiles are good old compressed sawdust covered with a wood looking wrap. This is standard on about 97% of all brands build.
I have replaced two cabinet face frames due to moisture damage. Materials for both, real oak 3/4” thick, ran about $140. One is the back of our sink peninsula the other is the cabinet frame where our TV is floor to ceiling cabinet frame 2 rails and 6 stiles.
Even the Grand Design Solitudes I have looked at have pressed wood frames.

On the old trailer every cabinet frame/stile etc. I cut or drilled into was solid wood and not MDF/pressed wood. Not so for even the Montana's or Solitudes I looked at. Even the valance over the sliding bathroom door was solid wood on the old one (came off track and tore the end off so got a close look at it repairing it). Looked at a FR Riverstone at the same time I looked at the Solitude and "think" it was the same but didn't spend a lot of time in it because it was too expensive and far too heavy for what I wanted.

As a side note; my initial comments aren't meant to show personal dissatisfaction with what I purchased - I knew what it was when we made that decision. Barring things just falling apart, and I hope they don't, we'll be perfectly happy....especially with the large bathroom and DW's newfound desire for the w/d...

I think what we are witnessing as the RV buying public is the manifestation of all the dynamics at play in the current RV world; unprecedented demand for bigger, lighter units with more goo gaa's at cheap prices....and the RV manufacturers are delivering. With todays costs for labor and material it is easy to understand how "luxury" RVs cost an arm and a leg. We as buyers then have to decide how much that "fun" is worth. Bigger trailer means bigger truck means lots more money and on and on. We could afford a large luxury trailer but that means a large truck (dually) which isn't in my future so we have to live with what's out there and figured I am at the upper end of what my 1 ton can tow....so, I'm thinking I love the HC!!
Old 03-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #13
CedarCreekWoody

I'm thinking I love the HC!!

That is most likely your best bet. We all have a bit of anxiety and buyer's remorse after such a major purchase!
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:49 AM   #14
Vet4jdc

Danny,

I have shared quite a bit of information with you on the MHC and specifically the 331RL since we purchase the same camper one year ago. I too was feeling some of where you are after we got our unit home. While we were excited about the third slide and new floor plan, there were definitely things that caught my eye as "less than quality".

We traded a 2013 Montana Mountaineer that was a very nice camper. It had many features that were above average quality including solid wood on the cabinet doors and stiles. We loved that 2 slide fiver and spent many nights in it. The only reason to trade was that we really wanted a third slide and a little more room.

Once we started going through it, I did discover things that needed repair like leaking drain pipes and other small stuff. It took four or five camping trips to get the bugs worked out but I never took it back to the dealer and just fixed things myself.

Anyway, looking back it is not the material quality that we had in a 2013 model but we are loving it for what it is and have no regrets a year later. As long as nothing major happens in the first few years, I will stand behind Keystone for this product. We didn't purchase a hundred thousand dollar fifth wheel that weighs 15,000 lbs. We bought an 11,000 lb unit that fit our weight limits and our budget.

Maybe down the road, our travels will include a dually and a Mobile Suites but for now, we enjoy what we bought and as you said, the DW loves the large bath room.

I would say be patient and keep pecking away at the issues that arise. You will have some bugs and you will get them fixed in time. As you do, the vinyl wrapped wood will seem to fade away in the background and owning a MHC will seem like a good value for the price point.

By the way, we have some friends that own a Grand Design and in two years of ownership, they have had nothing but problems with their rig. They had a Montana before this one and wish many times they had never traded. As for the Reflection, one look at the basement storage verses the MHC and we knew it was not for us.

Good luck to you and the DW as you work your way thru the "break-in" period.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
Danny,

I have shared quite a bit of information with you on the MHC and specifically the 331RL since we purchase the same camper one year ago. I too was feeling some of where you are after we got our unit home. While we were excited about the third slide and new floor plan, there were definitely things that caught my eye as "less than quality".

We traded a 2013 Montana Mountaineer that was a very nice camper. It had many features that were above average quality including solid wood on the cabinet doors and stiles. We loved that 2 slide fiver and spent many nights in it. The only reason to trade was that we really wanted a third slide and a little more room.

Once we started going through it, I did discover things that needed repair like leaking drain pipes and other small stuff. It took four or five camping trips to get the bugs worked out but I never took it back to the dealer and just fixed things myself.

Anyway, looking back it is not the material quality that we had in a 2013 model but we are loving it for what it is and have no regrets a year later. As long as nothing major happens in the first few years, I will stand behind Keystone for this product. We didn't purchase a hundred thousand dollar fifth wheel that weighs 15,000 lbs. We bought an 11,000 lb unit that fit our weight limits and our budget.

Maybe down the road, our travels will include a dually and a Mobile Suites but for now, we enjoy what we bought and as you said, the DW loves the large bath room.

I would say be patient and keep pecking away at the issues that arise. You will have some bugs and you will get them fixed in time. As you do, the vinyl wrapped wood will seem to fade away in the background and owning a MHC will seem like a good value for the price point.

By the way, we have some friends that own a Grand Design and in two years of ownership, they have had nothing but problems with their rig. They had a Montana before this one and wish many times they had never traded. As for the Reflection, one look at the basement storage verses the MHC and we knew it was not for us.

Good luck to you and the DW as you work your way thru the "break-in" period.

Thanks James. We spent yesterday afternoon going over, under around and thru the trailer modifying and fixing stuff. The obligatory leak from the anti siphon valve on the black tank flush, a non latching storage door, holes all in the generator compartment etc. Already replaced the Furrion speakers, bed mattress (cut down platform), added washer/dryer, slide toppers etc.

As you said, the more we move around in it the more we find to appreciate and the things that just grabbed my attention initially don't do so as much. Barring any major malfunctions what we are doing now is what we've done on every trailer.....making it ours. There is much to like about the trailer; we really love the heat pump and bathroom. A few road trips and I figure we will just be "having fun" in it vs worrying about any perceived "quality" issues. Another factor is the acceptance of my self imposed limitations and where that puts us in the new RV world. All manufacturers are have almost the same build quality at any given price point so that's just what it is. Thanks for the thoughts and insight.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:37 AM   #16
moodman

I don't agree with you on your assessment of the Montana HC. This is my fourth fifth wheel, and I love my Montana for its quality of build. Not perfect, but which one is?

Sorry you feel that way, but I think you would have felt even more disappointed with a Cougar.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #17
Apalinto

Foil Duct Tape

I have the same issues in the front compartment of my Coagar. For those who have used foil duct tape,do you apply it from underneath the trailer or from inside the compartment? Sounds encouraging to tape these holes shut. My batteries vent out through a hose and the only other thing in there is that spare.
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

I put my foil tape on the inside, then laid a sheet of 1/2" rigid foam board over the entire bottom of the compartment. It's been there about 5 or 6 years ??? (Best guess on time frame)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2020, 06:56 AM   #19
Spletbr

Quote:
As I familiarize myself with this new trailer I run across stuff I've not experienced with bumper pulls. At the moment I'm looking for feedback on the front storage compartment where a generator would go.

We won't have a generator so was intending to use that space for additional storage. Looking it over today (during lulls in the rain) I noticed I see daylight all over the place through the bottom and sides. They appear to be intentional slots and cutouts. Is this normal and if so why? It already has vents for the batteries and I assume a generator is used. It makes me really leery of them but don't want to start sealing stuff if there is a need for them. I have had many water intrusions, particularly on the front of a trailer and I hate having those holes where water can get into "something"; they are right under the front of the trailer right behind the tail end of the truck. In the same place the coroplast on my new trailer (last one) completely peeled back and became a huge water scoop. Just want to avoid any recurrence of those kinds of things. Any insight is greatly appreciated....got the goop, spray foam and anything/everything else standing by...
Which HC did you get. Like you, we just moved from a TT to fiver. Much bigger! But tows much better. The new F350 helps there too! We bought a 2020 294RL and are on our first trip. Problems? Fridge double doors: flap on left side door doesn’t close, door needs adjustment (raised). Handle on right door doesn’t always click. We do both manually now after coming home to a 40+ fridge. Awnings: started squeaking real bad. Now on of the bars is bowed and doesn’t sit flush. The pistons seem a little off kilter. Afraid to use them, and it gets hot in FL. Besides that just minor nuisances like needing a new bead of silicone around the bottom of the shower, etc.
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #20
Apalinto

Re: the foil duct tape, thanks for the tips JRTJH!
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana