Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
Uwharrie

Landing gear not working

So our 2014 Cougar 5th all of a sudden decided not to move the landing gear. it worked for disconnect and now seem DIW. Battery is good. fuses seem good plugged into shore power. Not sure what gives.. will not go up or down. plugged and unplugged from shore. flipped all the breakers still nothing
Uwharrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
Uwharrie

and as side note everything else is working. Hubby just found a fuse between motor and switch that was blown (30amp) any idea why it would blow?
Old 03-19-2020, 03:37 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

He found the fuse, probably located "above his head, center of the front compartment... 12 VDC motors draw voltage and as the load goes up, the draw on the motor (amperage) goes up. If the battery is "not fully charged" the amperage will go up faster than normal. Chances are the battery was "partially charged" and when he pressed the "up switch" the load on the landing gear motor was greater than the "volts" available from the battery and the amps increased causing the fuse to blow.

That fuse is not one to blow frequently, but with a low battery, it will sometimes "protect the motor from excessive amperage draw"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
Uwharrie

I think that is spot on. Thanks for the insight
Old 03-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
He found the fuse, probably located "above his head, center of the front compartment... 12 VDC motors draw voltage and as the load goes up, the draw on the motor (amperage) goes up. If the battery is "not fully charged" the amperage will go up faster than normal. Chances are the battery was "partially charged" and when he pressed the "up switch" the load on the landing gear motor was greater than the "volts" available from the battery and the amps increased causing the fuse to blow.

That fuse is not one to blow frequently, but with a low battery, it will sometimes "protect the motor from excessive amperage draw"....
To add to John's excellent points there are other causes. The battery(s) may be fine but if the connections, any of them between the battery and the motor is corroded, then that will cause higher resistance and then create a higher amp draw to do the same amount of "work".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
To add to John's excellent points there are other causes. The battery(s) may be fine but if the connections, any of them between the battery and the motor is corroded, then that will cause higher resistance and then create a higher amp draw to do the same amount of "work".
To add to that. On my GFs 5th wheel the switch connections are not the best and sometime I have to open the compartment, wiggle the wires going to the switch and it works. Should I fix it, yes but I only move the trailer 2-3 times a year so have lived with that inconvenience. Plus I don't think about it later.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
jim1

Hi, I just picked up our 2019 315RLS from storage without the battery's in it. I wasn't sure if the landing gear would work just off of the truck plug, but it worked fine just seemed little slower than usual. But surprised and happy it worked. It was just the 2 front jacks.
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
CedarCreekWoody

The reasons stated above are why the manufacturer recommends being plugged into shore power (or on generator) before activating the leveling stabilizer or deploying the slideouts.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:11 AM   #9
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
The reasons stated above are why the manufacturer recommends being plugged into shore power (or on generator) before activating the leveling stabilizer or deploying the slideouts.
So no boondocking allowed? I would hope being plugged into a running tow vehicle will also work...
Old 03-20-2020, 06:47 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
So no boondocking allowed? I would hope being plugged into a running tow vehicle will also work...
I think the key "takeaway" would be to have a fully charged battery before operating the slides or landing gear. Having it plugged into the truck will offer some additional amperage but that would limited by the wire size between the truck and the trailer. Having the trailer plugged into the shore power would give the full amperage of the converter. A "good" battery (deep cycle not a battery for a small car) should be fine to set up, as long as you have a means to fully recharge it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:22 AM   #11
Uwharrie

It usually is plugged in however we had the drive reworked last week and had to move the camper. he forgot to plug back in .
Old 03-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #12
Canonman

We've often used our landing gear, ground control leveling and slides without being on shore power with no problem. I think the OP's problem was an un-level site that may have put a bind on the landing gear causing the fuse to blow.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #13
Quiroule

One sure way to blow the fuse is to try to go past the maximum movement point.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:02 AM   #14
Keystoned

So I learned something about using the system this week...and it makes sense if you think about it. After disconnecting from the 5w hitch I hit the autolevel switch and it got stuck on the front gear...turns out it needed to be nose down to be level and ran out of range. It didn't say so but after reconnecting and leaving more space between the ground and jack feet it worked pretty quickly.
Note to self; get a good front to rear level indicator near the control box to know in advance where it needs to end up. That way I can adjust the front feet correctly the first time.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:09 AM   #15
Uwharrie

OP here- we have not had the camper out but a few times since my first post. we have had a blown fuse two more times- each time camper was parked at house on shore power- gear worked fine with unhitching and leveling-

month or so later go to hitch up and fuse is blown again-
Old 06-01-2021, 08:43 AM   #16
CedarCreekWoody

Have you had the battery load tested.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:39 PM   #17
BookPaul74

I had an Alfa that would pop the fuse from time to time. Pulled the landing gear out and cleaned and replaced the grease. Still happened. Was going to replace the wiring with heavier wiring and use relays to control them. But before I did that I pulled the switch to check the wiring and just for the heck of it I turned the switch over so up was down and vise versa, it was just a heavy duty toggle switch. Never had a problem again. Figure the contacts had been burned and was not making a good connection and blowing the fuse. More load raising the fifth wheel than lowering it.

The motor might be pulling to much amperage.
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
landing gear