Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
Skippy38

How to carry a ladder?

Who carries a separate ladder and how do you carry it? I have a 6' aluminum ladder that I would like to carry with me for handy stuff. Since my rig has a built in ladder on the rear can I just strap it to the rear ladder?
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
Who carries a separate ladder and how do you carry it? I have a 6' aluminum ladder that I would like to carry with me for handy stuff. Since my rig has a built in ladder on the rear can I just strap it to the rear ladder?
Yup! Just get some strong bungee cords.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #3
bobbecky

We have one of those telescoping ladders that will fit in one of our storage compartments. I have carried a regular ladder on our chair carrier brackets attached to the rear ladder, which along with a couple of ratchet straps keeps a ladder or chairs safely secured. https://www.amazon.com/rv-ladder-bik...r+bike+carrier
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
travelin texans

Had the Little Giant imitation from Harbor Freight that fit nicely under my truck toolbox that functioned as a step ladder & extension ladder.
My DW said "we're not tying a bunch of stuff to the ladder, looking like the Beverly Hillbillies going down the road", so we had nothing on the ladder.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #5
notanlines

Danny, when mama speaks wise men listen.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:31 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If you follow the safety decals and stay off the top two steps on a ladder, a 6' step ladders won't allow you to reach the roof of most fifth wheels as well as the majority of slide tops. So, a 6' step ladder is a compromise that won't do much of what an RV'er needs to do in the campground.

I have a 12' extension ladder that "fits within itself" and when closed is about 30" long. I can extend it, climb onto the roof, access any slide roof, even lay it against the nose cap on the trailer and access the clearance lights/roof/cap seam. It is easy to store in the passthrough compartment and light enough to take on every trip. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LADDER.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	25625  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you follow the safety decals and stay off the top two steps on a ladder, a 6' step ladders won't allow you to reach the roof of most fifth wheels as well as the majority of slide tops. So, a 6' step ladder is a compromise that won't do much of what an RV'er needs to do in the campground.

I have a 12' extension ladder that "fits within itself" and when closed is about 30" long. I can extend it, climb onto the roof, access any slide roof, even lay it against the nose cap on the trailer and access the clearance lights/roof/cap seam. It is easy to store in the passthrough compartment and light enough to take on every trip. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of those too! Works well and takes up little space.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:15 AM   #8
Northofu1

Quote:

I have one of these. The only problem I encountered was I had to cut a pool noodle to fit the plastic release trigger mechanism housing to keep from marring the rubber roof. Used it beside a slide out to help with stability. Works great. Same weight as an Andersen hitch

P.S. I bought the Metaltech brand, I saw another brand and didn't think it would hold me up. Like normal ladders they do come in different weight classes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V72N3RY...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
One button release does not sound good, some have buttons at every step.
This guys finger ( on the video tab) seems like what kind of great customer service you might get if trying to return it.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:53 AM   #9
Skippy38

Quote:

Now THAT is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:25 AM   #10
chunker

In another posting someone showed a folding ladder that looked like a version of a little giant when unfolded but folded up to fit inside a 5" vinyl fence post. I haven't seen one and wonder how strong it would be but it wouldn't be an everyday thing. Don't have the reference for that ladder but think it was from a CW.

EDIT think this was it
https://www.campingworld.com/teleste...ders%2Fladders
https://www.campingworld.com/dw/imag...sh=1000&sm=fit
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #11
Gunny Mike

I like the weight capacity on that one. I had one of those folding ones and one of the joints failed on me. The wife and I ended up in the ER and I came out of it with a broken ankle and a sprained wrist. Lucky I pushed myself to the left otherwise I would have landed on the wife. Could of gotten real ugly. I'm still afraid of going up on our roof to this day. Last time I was up I was so afraid of coming down I almost called the fire department.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #12
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Danny, when mama speaks wise men listen.
Wise advice
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:18 PM   #13
Slapshoot

We have one of those collapsing ladders that fit in the storage area. And I have seen three twisted ladders in the ditch on our way home from Yuma so if you attach it to the back ladder, you may want a really good way to secure it!
Old 03-19-2020, 07:29 AM   #14
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
Who carries a separate ladder and how do you carry it? ................can I just strap it to the rear ladder?
I stow my ladder in the large forward storage compartment......I see a lot of trailers with a ladder strapped to the rear ladder. However, I like keeping it out of the elements and knowing there is no risk of coming separated from the ladder.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:19 PM   #15
Hblick48

I use two large hose clamps to attach my 8 foot ladder to the rear ladder on my rig. So strong that you can use the step ladder to get up to the roof.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

I don't, and won't, strap a ladder to my RV ladder. Lots do and that's fine but I've seen how they can bend and/or warp with a little too much pressure - and look rather tacky - IMO.

I carry the 7' collapsing ladder and have never had a problem. Having worked off ladders all my life I can say they aren't as sturdy as a purpose built ladder but plenty good. I now have a new 12.5' telescoping ladder that I bought for the new HC. Hope it works well but is was much heavier than I thought. Will find out soon.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 AM   #17
KO4A

I carried a Little Giant weighing about 35 pounds. I strapped it to the rear ladder on my rear wall. (No fiberglass rear wall.) After 33000 miles the for and aft movement stripped the screws on the back wall to the side wall.

The wall has been repaired with much longer screws and I now ensure the bottom of the little Giant ladder is firmly strapped to the square bumper to prevent the for and aft movement.

I have poor pictures of the wall separation.
God Bless America and God Bless our Troops[/CENTER]
KO4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #18
RET.LEO

Would not strap to back ladder. Looks like heck and the weight on that ladder being amplified while being bounced down the road is not a good idea.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #19
Bill-2020

Lowe’s Little Giant -13. Collapses down and folds up. Light, sturdy and doubles as multi -stage extension and Also stepladder. $130. Fits in forward and rear storage areas of our passport. Gets me to the roof and every area I need. But, what’s good for the goose isn’t always good for the gander. Lots of choices out there. Not always cheap either, but my best bang for the buck was this one.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:56 AM   #20
shermris

I carry a 10' Keller Telescoping ladder similar to the Little Giant (at less than 1/4 the cost). I have a 24' Bullet ultralite with no factory ladder, I just throw the Keller in my pickup box in case I need to get topside or clean off a slideout before closing. I would guess the weight at 35-40#, but I think anyone w/o a slideout cover should have a way to clean off the top before closing the slide. Because my roof is not designed to support foot weight I also carry two 2x4 pieces of 1/4" plywood.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ladder