Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
RVTYME

Fuzion 427 two weeks old

We just picked up our 2020 Fuzion 427 two weeks ago. Noticed a few things I am scratching my head on.

1) It appears that the black tank is not closed although the handle up front is closed. I found this wonderful issue when I took the cap off and sewage came pouring out. I would LOVE to find where I can manually check these levers to verify open or closed and fix the issue.

2) I also find that the garage has very little heat coming out of the one duct that is near the washer hookup. Does anyone know if a heat pump can be added to the AC unit in the rear to help heat things up quicker? Not sure if in-command would see it anyway?

3) We have only 1 battery. Would like to add some batteries and a 3K inverter so we don't have to run the gen for TV or charging phones. Anyone do this and if so how many batteries can the battery compartment hold - looks like 3 in the top and 1 just below for a total of 4. Be interested if anyone utilized the solar port own the roof as well.

Thanks!
Scott
RVTYME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
Brentw

Black tank valve are notorious for have an occasional leak, stuff get caught up in the slide. If it is an always thing, could be a cable adjustment. I added a twist on gate valve so no surprises.

Garage heat, yep. 1 duct 35 ft away from the furnace. I carry a oil filled electric if I have people staying and I will be at powered sites.

Not sure if our compartents are the same, 2 -6 volts fit in the upper tray. I added an invertor in the pass thru near the batteries and added a receptacle behind the TV from the invertor. Your floor plan is differnt but a bit of ingenuity will get you there.

Nice looking rig.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:40 AM   #3
RVTYME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Black tank valve are notorious for have an occasional leak, stuff get caught up in the slide. If it is an always thing, could be a cable adjustment. I added a twist on gate valve so no surprises.

Garage heat, yep. 1 duct 35 ft away from the furnace. I carry a oil filled electric if I have people staying and I will be at powered sites.

Not sure if our compartents are the same, 2 -6 volts fit in the upper tray. I added an invertor in the pass thru near the batteries and added a receptacle behind the TV from the invertor. Your floor plan is differnt but a bit of ingenuity will get you there.

Nice looking rig.

Thanks. appreciate the input.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:10 AM   #4
notanlines

Also check to make sure the handles aren't labeled incorrectly. RV manufacturers are notorious for swapping colors and labels.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:51 AM   #5
Wyldfire

Adding a clear valve prevents nasty suprises.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valterra-...saAjwfEALw_wcB
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:26 AM   #6
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTYME View Post
............. We have only 1 battery. Would like to add some batteries and a 3K inverter so we don't have to run the gen for TV or charging phones. Anyone do this and if so how many batteries can the battery compartment hold - looks like 3 in the top and 1 just below for a total of 4. Be interested if anyone utilized the solar port own the roof as well...
I have a 265 watt solar panel mounted on the roof with a 2000 watt inverter and 2 batteries and will see how that works when we boondock.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:14 AM   #7
s10slammed

ok so i have a new raptor i am learning and am going to ask something on a new post. I know you have the 2 valves in that compartment but if you look on the same side of the trailer down by the wheels you will see 2 more valves. I am still trying to learn on how it works and what valves need to be open for what bathroom or whatever.

as for batteries i have a 2000 watt inverter and plan to put in 2 6v batteries which should be more then good for the rig.

the heating i would look into a bit and make sure that duct is not kinked somewhere when it was routed
s10slammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #8
Big 417

As posted above. Second bath? There's another handle behind rear wheels, or a different spot
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:59 AM   #9
chunker

Quote:
We just picked up our 2020 Fuzion 427 two weeks ago. Noticed a few things I am scratching my head on.

1) It appears that the black tank is not closed although the handle up front is closed. I found this wonderful issue when I took the cap off and sewage came pouring out. I would LOVE to find where I can manually check these levers to verify open or closed and fix the issue.

Thanks!
Scott
Reference the tank, on my 356 I picked up recently the front grey tank waste valve was incorrectly installed at the factory. First the valve itself was assembled wrong at the "valve factory" and the screws that hold it together were loose. Second the cable wasn't secured properly to the valve, contributed to by the valve condition itself, and the cable "capture nut" stripped the cable outer plastic covering and the cable slipped away from the valve and did not actuate. Third the valve was obviously not tested at the factory, and fourth the dealer's PDI was incomplete because they obviously didn't check it either. Lastly I wasn't feeling good that day and after 4 hours of my PDI I was worn out and didn't check it.

At home I finished my PDI, now a POST delivery inspection, and discovered the front grey waste valve was inoperable in the open position. I confirmed it by dropping the coroplast, looking and trying to repair but ended up taking back to the dealer to let them. New trailer under warranty. Dealer replaced the gate valve and cable assembly.

If you got a "black tank contents surprise" that means you didn't check the operation of the tanks before you put the nasty stuff in. At this point you realize that wasn't a good idea. I'll second the comment about a clear section of pipe. First piece out of the trailer drain connection is a clear 45* piece that stays there. Cap goes on it. IF there is something that leaked by one of the gate valves I can see it and be prepared with a bucket. Remember that in trailers there is a long run from some of the gate valves to the dump connection and after closing the valves, material in the pipes will drain to the dump location especially after changing your leveling position.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:18 AM   #10
Big 417

A little trickle is fairly common. As mentioned the lines are long and sometimes there just isn't time at the dump station to drain completely dry. TP can also get packed in the valve, not allowing complete closure.

So having the clear section will let you see whether your about to have the brown fountain of crap, or a few ounces on the ground.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:35 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Reference the tank, on my 356 I picked up recently the front grey tank waste valve was incorrectly installed at the factory. First the valve itself was assembled wrong at the "valve factory" and the screws that hold it together were loose. Second the cable wasn't secured properly to the valve, contributed to by the valve condition itself, and the cable "capture nut" stripped the cable outer plastic covering and the cable slipped away from the valve and did not actuate. Third the valve was obviously not tested at the factory, and fourth the dealer's PDI was incomplete because they obviously didn't check it either. Lastly I wasn't feeling good that day and after 4 hours of my PDI I was worn out and didn't check it.

At home I finished my PDI, now a POST delivery inspection, and discovered the front grey waste valve was inoperable in the open position. I confirmed it by dropping the coroplast, looking and trying to repair but ended up taking back to the dealer to let them. New trailer under warranty. Dealer replaced the gate valve and cable assembly.

If you got a "black tank contents surprise" that means you didn't check the operation of the tanks before you put the nasty stuff in. At this point you realize that wasn't a good idea. I'll second the comment about a clear section of pipe. First piece out of the trailer drain connection is a clear 45* piece that stays there. Cap goes on it. IF there is something that leaked by one of the gate valves I can see it and be prepared with a bucket. Remember that in trailers there is a long run from some of the gate valves to the dump connection and after closing the valves, material in the pipes will drain to the dump location especially after changing your leveling position.
Installing a clear terminal section WILL warn you of smelly, nasty contents, but you still must DEAL with emptying the line. Removing the cap will, even if you're careful, spill/splash those contents on you, the ground, around the area, even with the "best of buckets and gloves".....

If you install a "terminal valve", with the clear section behind it if you want to inspect before connecting/dumping or even without the clear section (since it can't leak until you open that terminal valve), you will not only "know that you've got a leak" you'll also "be able to control the leak, preventing the need to remove any cap or risk any spill/splash....

For most, this is the "best $20 mod" and honestly, the quickest, since you'll be installing a cap anyway and this installs just like the cap, only between the sewer outlet and the cap.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...ustrial&sr=8-3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sewer valve.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	26310  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Installing a clear terminal section WILL warn you of smelly, nasty contents, but you still must DEAL with emptying the line. Removing the cap will, even if you're careful, spill/splash those contents on you, the ground, around the area, even with the "best of buckets and gloves".....

If you install a "terminal valve", with the clear section behind it if you want to inspect before connecting/dumping or even without the clear section (since it can't leak until you open that terminal valve), you will not only "know that you've got a leak" you'll also "be able to control the leak, preventing the need to remove any cap or risk any spill/splash....

For most, this is the "best $20 mod" and honestly, the quickest, since you'll be installing a cap anyway and this installs just like the cap, only between the sewer outlet and the cap.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...ustrial&sr=8-3
This is what we have! I tried one to change a slightly leaking valve on either the grey or black tank. The issue is the outlets on both tanks face each other and I could not get either tank to move enough to get the valves out. This was the best solution. I don’t have space for a clear section before the valve, don’t need it. The last valve closed no issue.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:49 AM   #13
John57

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10slammed View Post
ok so i have a new raptor i am learning and am going to ask something on a new post. I know you have the 2 valves in that compartment but if you look on the same side of the trailer down by the wheels you will see 2 more valves. I am still trying to learn on how it works and what valves need to be open for what bathroom or whatever.

as for batteries i have a 2000 watt inverter and plan to put in 2 6v batteries which should be more then good for the rig.

the heating i would look into a bit and make sure that duct is not kinked somewhere when it was routed
Good question, one I asked keystone directly (I have a Fuzion 427 - likely similar) and they answered me incorrectly... on mine the valve to the rear the wheels (black handle) on the drivers side is for the rear black tank. (This also holds the sink waste water - so its technically a tank for the complete rear bath)
The valve to the front of the slide (silver handle) is the gray water for the kitchen sink. Mine all empty via a single exit sewer line.
Also - note if you have a tank flush fitting in the plumbing locker - it fill both black tanks simultaneously - not two separate fittings to fill each tank separately. The Keystone rep did not know this when I called them about it.
John57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:52 AM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John57 View Post
Good question, one I asked keystone directly (I have a Fuzion 427 - likely similar) and they answered me incorrectly... on mine the valve to the rear the wheels (black handle) on the drivers side is for the rear black tank. (This also holds the sink waste water - so its technically a tank for the complete rear bath)

The valve to the front of the slide (silver handle) is the gray water for the kitchen sink. Mine all empty via a single exit sewer line.

Also - note if you have a tank flush fitting in the plumbing locker - it fill both black tanks simultaneously - not two separate fittings to fill each tank separately. The Keystone rep did not know this when I called them about it.
Curious why you are dealing directly with Keystone instead of your dealer?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:16 AM   #15
RVTYME

Quote:

2) I also find that the garage has very little heat coming out of the one duct that is near the washer hookup. Does anyone know if a heat pump can be added to the AC unit in the rear to help heat things up quicker? Not sure if in-command would see it anyway?

3) We have only 1 battery. Would like to add some batteries and a 3K inverter so we don't have to run the gen for TV or charging phones. Anyone do this and if so how many batteries can the battery compartment hold - looks like 3 in the top and 1 just below for a total of 4. Be interested if anyone utilized the solar port own the roof as well.

Thanks!
Scott
Thanks for all the comments back. Problem with the plumbing from the factory and was solved by bringing it back to the dealer. There were large chunks of plastic from the build jammed in the lines. Everything is working great now.

Item #2 the duct came loose - resolved at dealer.

Item #3 installed new batteries/inverter and getting ready to connect solar.

Thanks for all replies. Everything working fine now.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #16
John57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Curious why you are dealing directly with Keystone instead of your dealer?
Because the dealer told me to "bring it in"...... they wouldnt handle issues over the phone. And, I was hoping to have a diagram sent to me on the plumbing....
hahahahahaha - you'd thought I had asked for the keys to Fort Knox....
John57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Because the dealer told me to "bring it in"...... they wouldnt handle issues over the phone. And, I was hoping to have a diagram sent to me on the plumbing....

Seems like no matter what any one says, you are not interested. You want it your way only. If it doesnt happen that way, then you pop a 'tude. Good luck with that. It doesn't appear to be working out too well. Good luck, I hope you get resolution to your issues.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:31 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

If you're thinking you're going to call Keystone every time the dealer insists you bring the unit in for a repair.....you need to prepare yourself for a lot of unproductive calls and lots of stuff that don't/won't work if/when they fail on you. Understand when you call the Keystone customer line you are talking to a guy/gal that's probably been there less than a year and doesn't know self leveling from a stove burner. Your question will be answered from the little decision tree he/she has sitting beside them based on your conversation.

As far as plumbing diagrams, I've not seen a lot of wishes for that because they're usually pretty simple ie; toilet goes thru the floor, into the drain, into the black tank, goes across the floor and empties thru the dump valve. Others are basically the same. Water lines are color coded so you can identify them. Now electrical schematics? They would be nice, but, since every single trailer has wiring ran depending on how the tech was feeling that day it wouldn't be beneficial, or accurate, either.

Instead of spending all your time worrying about every conceivable reason to complain about your trailer try to find time to appreciate it and learn it. Many of the things you've brought up should have been caught by you on the initial inspection but weren't. You've talked to a couple of folks who you say have had issues with Thor products. Lord knows I (and I'm sure most others) have talked to countless folks that own virtually every brand out there that had issues....that's what an RV is...an exercise in keeping your various repair skills honed. If you don't accept that you are going to be a very unhappy (unhappier) individual - all of your own doing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments back. Problem with the plumbing from the factory and was solved by bringing it back to the dealer. There were large chunks of plastic from the build jammed in the lines. Everything is working great now.

Item #2 the duct came loose - resolved at dealer.

Item #3 installed new batteries/inverter and getting ready to connect solar.

Thanks for all replies. Everything working fine now.

Thanks for the update and glad you got the issues taken care of. Now it sounds like you're on the way to getting it "fixed up" like you want. If you encounter other issues there are lots of folks here that have lots of experience in most everything and want to help.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuzion