Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #21
mlk1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's a LOT of difference between a Class C bumper angle and most travel trailer bumpers. What works with a motorhome to carry kayaks may not be such a "hot idea" when used on a travel trailer. As you said, everyone "should" be aware of their height... That's not the greatest hazard with a rack that extends 2' behind a trailer bumper and hangs a foot below it.

Anyway, someone could take comments into consideration or ignore them and install this type of rack on the back of a travel trailer and learn whether it'll work or not, eh?
I had thought about mounting our kayaks that way, but as soon as I saw how far they protruded above the roof and below the bumper. Nope, decided not too. I have a fiberglass shell and installed Rhino racks with J-hooks.
mlk1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #22
Ccrew

Thule TracRac. These are 11' kayaks.

Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #23
johnlewis

Consider inflatable Kayaks. When we had a 5th wheel, we couldn't carry kayaks very easily, so we bought a Sea Eagle that holds 3 people, since we wanted to kayak together, and sometimes carry a third person. It is rugged, and has withstood scraping rocks occasionally, and carrying our dog.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:12 AM   #24
duh1

Combo pvc, bike rack, double bumper mount and a wok worked for me for 10,000 miles and no problem. Keystone passport bumper is pretty beefy. Can’t figure out how to post the darn pictures though. My new trailer’s bumper won’t handle it and am going to have some welding to improve it.
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #25
P&DZ

We love to kayak and take two 10ft kayaks on most of our camping trips. I roll up the tonneau cover and tie them down in the truck bed with one end hanging over the tailgate.
The 10ft kayaks have plenty of clearance to the front of the trailer. Down side is you do loose the use of the truck bed, but we rarely need the truck bed for storage. The benefit is easy access to the kayaks for a quick paddle.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #26
slow

Kayaks

Having a FW, we recently went the inflatable route as soon as the Advanced Elements AirVolution inflatable kayak was introduced. We have no regrets going this route after many years renting kayaks for short touring trips.

Inflated to 10 psi, it is rock hard and stiff like a hard shell. I am impressed with the drop stitch tech used in its design and in use on SUPs.

It is worth noting that under deck storage is very limited in height due to the air chambers, so for our short trips we added deck bags.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	29499

And the cockpit is long enough to bring our toddler granddaughters along for rides facing us.

Here is a preview by AirKayaks.com that caught my attention: https://airkayaks.wordpress.com/2020...nced-elements/

And here is my review posted on their website:
Just What We Have Waited For

Having a fifth wheel trailer has meant that we had to rent kayaks at our destinations since it is impractical to haul hard body kayaks. Some rental kayaks were OK, but most were not very good for touring.
We have been watching the introduction of kayaks with the drop stitch technology", but the early offerings were more canoe like than a kayak and reviews suggested they may not be very stable.
As soon as we became aware of the AirVolution kayak we requested to be added to the notification list. The next day we were able to place our order for two and a few days later and just prior to our vacation they arrived.
I was very impressed with the quality of the AirVolutions and the attention to details. One concern I had prior to receiving the AirVolutions was how difficult it would be to clean the interior of sand and gravel. Turns out the concern was not warranted given how the interior is shaped to funnel water to the drain "cup" area and the absence of hidden folds.
Inflating the two chambers did not take much effort or time and transporting the AirVolutions on kayak dollies was effortless. Their stability was immediately apparent once in the water. At close to 200 pounds, I was able to sit on the side, rinse my feet of sand and then pivot into the cockpit without taking on any water.
I cannot judge the AirVolution’s speed or paddling effort relative to other kayaks. But I did notice that my wife and I were touring further and faster than other paddlers in the area. Our longest excursion was approximately 3 hours.
The AirVolutions were also a big hit with our adult children and granddaughters. The large cockpit allowed our granddaughters to sit facing their parent. The parents appreciated the stability of the AirVolutions and enjoyed the experience with their daughters. My son was even able to use the AirVolution as a paddle board.
We are very happy with the AirVolution kayaks and look forward to many more paddling adventures.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #27
P&DZ

Nice kayak, looking at the picture would have never guessed it was an inflatable. We have four Wilderness System kayaks. Two Aspire100 in Colorado and a Aspire 105 and Pungo 100 in Florida. Like them a lot, good comfortable seats, good tracking and quite stable for shorter length kayaks.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #28
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&DZ View Post
Nice kayak, looking at the picture would have never guessed it was an inflatable. We have four Wilderness System kayaks. Two Aspire100 in Colorado and a Aspire 105 and Pungo 100 in Florida. Like them a lot, good comfortable seats, good tracking and quite stable for shorter length kayaks.
They draw a lot of attention at the beach when we launch and recover the kayaks. Many are surprised to hear they are inflatable.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #29
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
Like this:

Hey, we live in Henrietta.
My wife has a 13' and I have a 14.5' Swift.
We've pretty much given up on traveling with kayaks.
Question... How do you get the boats on the rack?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #30
JBWardFamily

We modified a hitch mounted rack for our 10 ft kayaks and fabbed up some supports attached to the ladder to keep them from bouncing. Works great. I figure if the ladder can hold my 200 lb body, it can take the leaning weight of two 50 lb kayaks. Also, since they do not bounce, the hitch mounted to the rear square bumper is more than adequate. We've towed it like that for 4000 miles + with zero issues so far and no bending of the bumper or ladder. We can't use the truck bed because there is always a golf cart of SxS in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2823 2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	29562  
JBWardFamily is offline   Reply With Quote