Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

F150 Engine Choices

A fella at the Tomball Ford dealer (Texas) did a survey of the mechanics, service writers and parts folk at his Ford dealership. Asked what the engine of choice would be and the overwhelming winner was the 5.0 gasser V8 over the other offerings. No one chose the diesel or the 3.3L V6 (not surprising) or the 2.7 Eco Boost. The 3.5 Eco Boost was a distant second in this informal poll but the couple guys who pulled for the Eco Boost cited towing where most of the others were daily driver types. I personally would pick the 3.3L V6 for a daily driver as it is economical and has good pick up but no towing ability (had one).

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
NH_Bulldog

I watched that video before. They cite the 5.0 for ease of service (and ability to tune for performance, exhaust, etc.). No one there is actually an impartial judge, so I take it as nothing more than opinion. You have Ford guys, Ram guys, GM guys, and in those groups you have diesel vs. gas, etc. ultimately it is about individual need or preference. We went with a 3.5L EcoBoost and that gives us all the towing capacity we need and yet great mileage as a daily driver. For us it works, for others maybe not.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
Fishsizzle

Ugg that argument has been beat to death on other forums.

Yes, it’s easier to work on. Techs will have an opinion.

Look up 5.0 oil consumption and see how many owners are thrilled with that.

The bottom line is you mostly only hear the complainers complain. Happy people don’t make it out to forums, Inter-web, social media to gush about how much they love their engines. They are too busy enjoying them.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=NH_Bulldog;371032]I watched that video before. They cite the 5.0 for ease of service (and ability to tune for performance, exhaust, etc.). No one there is actually an impartial judge, so I take it as nothing more than opinion. You have Ford guys, Ram guys, GM guys, and in those groups you have diesel vs. gas, etc. ultimately it is about individual need or preference. We went with a 3.5L EcoBoost and that gives us all the towing capacity we need and yet great mileage as a daily driver. For us it works, for others maybe not.[/QUOTE]

The above is about as true as it gets IMO. While I am no fan of the ecoboost 3.5, I've never owned one because I won't. I have driven them and their 2.7 cousins. But, as I've said many times, when you artificially pump up 213 cubic inches to push out the kind of power the ecoboost does, the potential for catastrophic failure is a reality. Having owned a 1st generation attempt from Ford to turbocharge gas engines I can say that the performance increase is great but they can and will fail, and when they do dig deep in the pocketbook.

That said, the current ecoboost must be doing something right because it is gaining a following. I know it's because of the performance you get vs the upfront cost. I hope it works out for everyone that owns them. I grew up when bigger was better; I owned Chevy 283s, 327s, 409; Ford 428, 360, 351 and Chrysler 383s, 360, 440 etc. 213ci. came in a Pinto or something. So the 426, 440, 428/9, 427 etc. have all gone bye bye and we have a new generation of engines doing unbelievable things. As NH_Bulldog said, some of the things work for some folks, and other things work for other folks....and that is as it should be and no one is "wrong" for the choice that works for them. Merry Christmas All!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
Fishsizzle

We just traded in our 15 with the 3.5 eco and had no trouble with the engine at all it had 48k on it.

On the eco forums, they are hitting 200k+ on some with zero issues.

I was worried about our first gen due to the direct injection and coking. We bought a second gen (3.5 HO) that has direct and port injection.

I have a 351 (165k and counting) in my 94 Bronco, love the sound, but it can’t even compare to today’s engines smoothness and MPG. The new trucks just drive sooo much better, but I’ll agree, I can do just about anything the bronco needs fixed, the new stuff I’ll add some lights and change pads and such, but I can’t get into the computer side.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

As I noted, the 5.0 has its proponents at a car dealership. I am guessing that the Eco crowd is a lot higher percentage on an RV forum. In fact, can't recall anyone towing with the 5.0. As I said, I had the 3.3L V6 and it had nice pickup due to good horsepower but if I towed a motorcycle trailer with a 500 lb bike on, mileage and performance tanked... no torque I guess. Horsepower seemed above average for a motor that size. I liked the truck because it rode car-like and was my first automatic transmission. It was a 2013 I bought new from Northwest Ford in San Antonio for $17,998. Had A/C PS PB and the automatic transmission and was an XL plastic seat/floor model. Was a great truck.

Prior, had three F150s dating from the 80s which all had the 300CID 6 which were gutless gas hogs that ran forever. First couple had the one barrels and the last had FI if memory serves... the latter was also a gutless gas hog; all base models and bought used. Also had a Ranger (1993) and it was too small cab for an adult. Paid cash and ended up selling it my youngest daughter who put a quarter million miles on it and ended up selling it for more than she paid me.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
Fishsizzle

I can’t vouch for the non-aspirated V6, the eco however is a beast for torque. Yes mileage goes down when you tow, all engines do.

Ours took our 35’ wildcat 65 mph over the pass. It would eat ground in the flat. It however as I’ve mentioned not tow big stuff. Well. It got pushed around big time. But that has much to do with ones claiming 1/2 towable. Joke.

The new truck with the HO is just insane. Wife said mark her words, it’s a ticket machine when I drive. Still gets 18-22 mpg even with my foot buried
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears

Tags
f150