Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #21
duh1

Check insurance. Worth an ask and ask the dealer too. Big box of tears. ?? That doesn’t sound good for recent keystones! Or is there some other issue I don’t need to know about. Looking to upgrade to a new keystone bullet.
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:14 AM   #22
LewisB

What really needs to get fixed?

What really needs to be fixed? Is it the bent rafter or is it the low spot on the roof? In attempting to fix the rafter (most of the discussion), it is going to be really difficult to do without creating even more problems. If you jack this from the bottom, a lot of things could go wrong/slip and end up poking a hole up through the roof membrane from the inside. And a jury-rigged rafter is likely to not be significantly stronger than the bent one you now have.

Maybe you should focus on how the fix the low spot on the roof rather than the bent rafter. Would it be possible to raise the roofing material and support it from the bent rafter as is? Using something like 1" wide X 1/8" thick rubber, could you slip material between the bent rafter and the plywood roof material; build something that looks like an upside-down leaf spring with the maximum thickness at the center of the low spot?

I know this does not address the cause, but it might fix the real issue - the low spot. Just a thought...Best of luck on whatever you decide on the repair!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:39 AM   #23
skids

Regarding screw jacks, I have raised and supported my roof over the deck by cutting 2x4s longer than the height and slid them in place to raise. The problem with this or with jacks is that it could interfere with the location were you need to beef-up the beam.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #24
atkinsb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh1 View Post
Check insurance. Worth an ask and ask the dealer too. Big box of tears. ?? That doesn’t sound good for recent keystones! Or is there some other issue I don’t need to know about. Looking to upgrade to a new keystone bullet.
I plan to check with my insurance and maybe even try the FlexArmour route as mentioned a couple times if it goes through. My deductible is only $250.

The selling dealer/service dept made owning this trailer a huge pain so when I learned people named their trailers, I came up with Big Box of Tears, mostly so I could laugh and keep my sanity. I would buy another Keystone but would go in much wiser. The big lesson out of all of it for me is a dealer/service center can make or break the experience.

I had to wait until the 1yr warranty expired for the second dealer to do the work, and I was really happy with them...until I saw the roof.

But as we all know it's not just RV service depts who screw things up. With few exceptions anyone who works on anything you own screws something up or fails to put it back together correctly. Luckily I'm handy enough to fix most things myself.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #25
atkinsb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
What really needs to be fixed? Is it the bent rafter or is it the low spot on the roof? In attempting to fix the rafter (most of the discussion), it is going to be really difficult to do without creating even more problems. If you jack this from the bottom, a lot of things could go wrong/slip and end up poking a hole up through the roof membrane from the inside. And a jury-rigged rafter is likely to not be significantly stronger than the bent one you now have.

Maybe you should focus on how the fix the low spot on the roof rather than the bent rafter. Would it be possible to raise the roofing material and support it from the bent rafter as is? Using something like 1" wide X 1/8" thick rubber, could you slip material between the bent rafter and the plywood roof material; build something that looks like an upside-down leaf spring with the maximum thickness at the center of the low spot?

I know this does not address the cause, but it might fix the real issue - the low spot. Just a thought...Best of luck on whatever you decide on the repair!

The low spot is my main concern because the membrane drops over the ridge created between the two decking boards and I have an inkling it will eventually tear.

Unfortunately (or not) the decking still seems to be attached to the rafter and since I can't remove the screws, the rafter will need to be straightened at least to some extent

Bill and Kathy
Old 12-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #26
atkinsb3

So I intend to go talk to the service manager this weekend. The service department is on my way to/from work, but I pass it outside their weekday business hours so I'll have to make a special trip. I think it should be a face to face conversation vs one over the phone.

After that's done, will contact my insurance company if needed.

Bill and Kathy
Old 12-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #27
atkinsb3

So went the the service department and spoke with the service manager, didn't get any love. Long story short said it was too far past the date of service for them to take responsibility.

Lesson for me is look over everything when you pick it up from having service done on it.

I plan to open up the ceiling a little more to expose the other side of the rafter as suggested in this thread and then decide if I want to get my insurance involved. I'm confident I can fix it for less than my deductible and don't know at this point if I want anyone else touching it. Just going to be a little bit before I can get to it.

Bill and Kathy
Old 12-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #28
Steve's 70-5

Put a magnet on the metal and see if it is aluminum, it looks like a metal stud. If metal you can get a 16 or 18 gauge 3 5/8 metal stud or a piece of track and scab it along side of it. If aluminum you need to watch what type of fastners you use so they do not react with the aluminum.

Joe Walsh
Steve's 70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #29
atkinsb3

Just checked the stud and it's magnetic. Good to know. Thanks!

Bill and Kathy
Old 12-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #30
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsb3 View Post
Here's the pictures..
The damage is done with no pop up Screws up through the roof . More than likely you will have more work involved and damage trying to repair the area. I would use decor products EPDM part one cleaner then paint EPDM rubber roofing coating . I have used this product on my toy hauler roof it is extremely tough material.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:53 AM   #31
Jim2366

My suggestion is to call your RV Insurance Company and file a claim for the damage.
Jim2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #32
atkinsb3

So to kind of close this out, ended up shimming btwn the roof and rafter. It leveled up the roof surprisingly well and seems to be a solid fix. All the other things I tried started having adverse effects along the rafter so backed out of them. Will post some pictures when I get the finish work done.

Bill and Kathy

Tags
damage, roof