Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #41
jim1

Hi, you can get 15% off of your orders from TST on the TPMS TST-507 by going to the RV Odd Couple on youtube and getting a discount coupon. I saved $119.10 on my order for a TST-507 TPMS. Just thought this might help.
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #42
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
I also have a question ref TPMSs also. I've read a lot of posts ref the systems on this forum.

Do all the systems HAVE to be mounted on metal valve stems ? I ask because my tires & wheels barely have 100 miles on them. Don't want to pay someone to have them removed and remounted with the metal stems yet if I don't have to.
I purchased the TM-77 and contacted them I was told no I didn’t have to change to metal stems.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #43
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
I purchased the TM-77 and contacted them I was told no I didn’t have to change to metal stems.
Not familiar with the TM-77 system, but if it adds sensors to the valve stems I'd agree you don't "have to" use metal valve stems till the rubber ones split or break off from the weight of the sensor, usually at a very inopertune time.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:43 AM   #44
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Not familiar with the TM-77 system, but if it adds sensors to the valve stems I'd agree you don't "have to" use metal valve stems till the rubber ones split or break off from the weight of the sensor, usually at a very inopertune time.
^This, After the second time it happened to me I finally woke up and realized what was going on. Had metal valve stems put in problem solved. The stems can be changed without removing the tire from the rim. I'd just like to say again just because you add a TPMS you are not safe from separations. I have had two tires separate and even after coming to a stop they still were holding pressure.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:43 AM   #45
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
^This, After the second time it happened to me I finally woke up and realized what was going on. Had metal valve stem put in problem solved. The stems can be changed without remove the tire from the rim. I'd just like to say again just because you add a TPMS you are not safe from separations. I have had two tires separate and even after coming to a stop they still were holding pressure.
I agree that a TPMS should not make one complacent. I do not belive that this should be a reason not to buy a TPMS. The difference of a tread seperation with and without a TPMS is WHEN it does blow out, which it will. If you are merrily motoring along in ingnorant bliss and the tire seperates it will blow out or deflate if you don't stop. If you continue driving on not knowing with the remaining weight on the other wheel (dual axle example) until that tire fails now you need two spare tires and most likey one ruined rim.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:59 AM   #46
gearhead

Our last day of this trip was Sunday, driving home from Texarkana. I turned the TST on first thing. It started flashing the tire positions but I couldn't read the numbers. Later the tire positions stopped flashing.
I ordered the sun shade from TST, never could find it on Amazon.
I'm thinking I've got more than 1 issue going on. I'll wait and see how the sunshade works before calling TST.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:50 AM   #47
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Our last day of this trip was Sunday, driving home from Texarkana. I turned the TST on first thing. It started flashing the tire positions but I couldn't read the numbers. Later the tire positions stopped flashing.
I ordered the sun shade from TST, never could find it on Amazon.
I'm thinking I've got more than 1 issue going on. I'll wait and see how the sunshade works before calling TST.

Brent when they stopped flashing was it because they had all started picking up the tire pressures or because the display just went out? Also, did you install a repeater? When I bought the color monitor they said it needed the repeater because of the sensitivity of the monitor. I tried connecting it without the repeater (last one - non color - worked without it and I was being lazy). All it did was flash the tire positions but never connected to them to show a pressure. Installed the repeater and no more issues....except the sun and I've ordered the sunshade as well. The lady at TST that I talked to said she didn't have a problem with seeing it but they mounted it on the "driver door window" of their motorhome and it was in out of the sun or something. That wouldn't work for me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:56 AM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
^This, After the second time it happened to me I finally woke up and realized what was going on. Had metal valve stems put in problem solved. The stems can be changed without removing the tire from the rim. I'd just like to say again just because you add a TPMS you are not safe from separations. I have had two tires separate and even after coming to a stop they still were holding pressure.

Like Marshall mentioned I would never let the thought that a tire separating and holding air would be a reason to think about not getting a TPMS. A separated tire IS going to blow. If you've caught 2 prior to that you've been very lucky. I've had one separate, tread come off, beat up the underside/side of the trailer and wrap around the axle by the time I could stop. I had no idea there was a blowout (no TPMS) except I saw some white looking "fluff" stuff flying from the side and back of the trailer (foam insulation under the floor). A TPMS would have told me that. Plus, if you look at some of the pics John (JRTJH) has posted in the past of tires separating from the inside you can see how a tire could self destruct and you would never know it. Always have a TPMS.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:19 AM   #49
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Like Marshall mentioned I would never let the thought that a tire separating and holding air would be a reason to think about not getting a TPMS. A separated tire IS going to blow. If you've caught 2 prior to that you've been very lucky. I've had one separate, tread come off, beat up the underside/side of the trailer and wrap around the axle by the time I could stop. I had no idea there was a blowout (no TPMS) except I saw some white looking "fluff" stuff flying from the side and back of the trailer (foam insulation under the floor). A TPMS would have told me that. Plus, if you look at some of the pics John (JRTJH) has posted in the past of tires separating from the inside you can see how a tire could self destruct and you would never know it. Always have a TPMS.
I have a TPMS all I am saying is I get the vibe from some of the people posting in here that getting a TPMS is gonna protect them from a tire separating. I have had 3 separate two I caught in time because I felt "something" the other took out a jack pad and did minor damage to the undercarriage. The TPMS never alerted me in any of these instances.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 05-04-2021, 07:10 AM   #50
Roper46

Quote:
So how do you change the stems without removing the tire from the rim ?
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:31 AM   #51
travelin texans

Quote:
So how do you change the stems without removing the tire from the rim ?
You still have to go to a tire dealer so they can break the bead. Typically if you buy the stems from them they will install them or buy them on line & pay to have them installed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:24 PM   #52
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Brent when they stopped flashing was it because they had all started picking up the tire pressures or because the display just went out? Also, did you install a repeater? When I bought the color monitor they said it needed the repeater because of the sensitivity of the monitor. I tried connecting it without the repeater (last one - non color - worked without it and I was being lazy). All it did was flash the tire positions but never connected to them to show a pressure. Installed the repeater and no more issues....except the sun and I've ordered the sunshade as well. The lady at TST that I talked to said she didn't have a problem with seeing it but they mounted it on the "driver door window" of their motorhome and it was in out of the sun or something. That wouldn't work for me.
I installed the repeater in the 5th's storage bay. At first I stuck the velcro on the interior of the forward wall. But, the wall has a fuzzy covering and didn't stick very well. I ended up sticking it on a horizontal 2 X 2 steel beam. I was concerned about it having to transmit around the beam but TST said no issue. I didn't notice when the tire locations quit flashing. It was pouring rain like I hadn't seen in a long time.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:43 PM   #53
Jim27

I bought a Vesafe TPMS with six sensors for my toy hauler. It was reasonably priced on Amazon at $219 and has performed flawlessly without a signal booster, even at 42ft.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:35 AM   #54
Roper46

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You still have to go to a tire dealer so they can break the bead. Typically if you buy the stems from them they will install them or buy them on line & pay to have them installed.
So if I take one wheel off at a time and break the bead at the stem, I can replace the stems ? The only other option I have where I live is to remove all four wheels and take them 20 miles to town to have someone do this.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:44 AM   #55
Javi

Quote:
So if I take one wheel off at a time and break the bead at the stem, I can replace the stems ? The only other option I have where I live is to remove all four wheels and take them 20 miles to town to have someone do this.
Or... like many of us just tow the trailer to the tire shop and have them jack it up change the stems and balance the tires and wheels while they're at it.. Takes about an hour and a half...
Old 05-05-2021, 04:47 AM   #56
Roper46

I've called two locally so far and they will not touch it. I'll try a couple others.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:19 AM   #57
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I've called two locally so far and they will not touch it. I'll try a couple others.
Have to looked for truck tire shops?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:17 AM   #58
RickV

Quote:
Is there a Discount Tire near you, almost every one of them I have ever dealt with will do stuff like that.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 05-05-2021, 06:38 AM   #59
gearhead

Quote:
I would remember that when its time to buy tires.
Like RickV said, find a Discount Tire. I buy most of my tires from them. When they call me up on their computer and see how much I've spent with them they are pretty cooperative.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:23 AM   #60
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
If your RV dealership is local, call them and ask where they get their tire service done... I don't know of any RV dealership that "does tires". Every one I'm familiar with contracts out that work. If anyone would know where to go, it would be your RV dealership.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote