Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
Old_Stevenick

My boondocking electric plan

After a lot of research here's what my plan is.

I bought a 100 amp hour Lithium Phosphate battery for $509 from Amazon. It only weighs 25 lbs, so bringing it in and out of the house off-season is going to be a lot easier than having two 65 lbs golf cart batteries.

I bought a 2,250 dual fuel generator, will run it off propane primarily to charge the battery. It only weights 39 lbs.

I bought a bluetooth Battery Monitor so I can keep tabs on what I'm drawing off the battery and how much it has.

In our pop-up with a standard Lead Acid 500 amp hour battery we could get through 5-7 days, but all we used were the lights and charging our phones pretty much.

As the hybrid has a water pump, electric awnings, radio and other things, I figure we would only get a couple of days without the upgraded battery.

So what remains to be seen is how many days between charging the battery. My guess is we can go a week if we're super conservative with usage, and if we're using more power we should only have to run the generator to charge the battery every few days.

Time will tell!

Old 05-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
Camping family

Time will tell like you said. Good luck and enjoy

Pulled with a F250 King Ranch
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
Lee

On my TT,... Then radio always has power and the front panel glows blue 24/7.... So... I installed a push button on/off switch to itt. Every electron counts ��

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Stevenick View Post
After a lot of research here's what my plan is.

I bought a 100 amp hour Lithium Phosphate battery for $509 from Amazon. It only weighs 25 lbs, so bringing it in and out of the house off-season is going to be a lot easier than having two 65 lbs golf cart batteries.

I bought a 2,250 dual fuel generator, will run it off propane primarily to charge the battery. It only weights 39 lbs.
I am always amazed how light lithium batteries are. Plan on electricity conservation for sure. The furnace uses a lot, the radio uses a bunch too. Plan on a good charge to bring in the slide as it is primarily battery power. The AC may not run on the genny depending on startup amps (aka “locked rotor amps”) and what elevation you run it at. Also, the outside temperature makes a big difference because the compressor has to work harder.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:39 AM   #5
Old_Stevenick

It seems that the refrigerator uses close to 30 Amp Hours a day, running at around 16 watts of draw. This is without opening it and using the lights inside. Running off propane.

Is there any way to reduce Fridge power usage? It seems that even being really conservative with energy use, the battery isn't ever giving us more than 2 days this way.

Looking at my battery monitor and with the fridge off the trailer is drawing about 3 Watts, presumably propane detector, radio face, etc. With the fridge on it shows 16-19 Watts.

After running just the closed fridge for 24 hours and the battery usage was over 30 amps!

This is still the original lead acid battery. I'm putting the LFP battery in later today.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:43 AM   #6
Lee

Hi,

As all I ever do is Dry camp... I can feel your pain concerning battery consumption.

I replaced all lights with LED.

Installed an ON/OFF switch to 12v supply to the radio... no more front panel blue glow.

Installed an ON/OFF switch to the 12v heat strip on the Refrigerator... This is the heated strip between the freezer compartment and the refer. The strip will ice up in humid conditions though.

I use a Mr Buddy heater for heat, not the furnace, = no power usage.

Run two 6volt golf cart batteries.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 05-08-2021, 06:06 AM   #7
Old_Stevenick

Hey Lee. I don't see a way to get into my fridge, how did you install that switch?
Old 05-08-2021, 06:21 AM   #8
Lee

Depending on your model Fridg..... some already come with the switch... It would be labeled "Climate Control" and be located on the eye brow control panel.

My Dometic made fridge doesn't have this switch but,..... I found the electrical diagram and see that the 12v for the inside lamp also powers the heat strip. I removed the lens and lamp assembly to access the wires and installed the switch there.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 05-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #9
Old_Stevenick

So as I mentioned in another thread, my fridge was taking more power than it needed to. I took the bulb out and it dropped to about 8 watts. I think the switch that was turning the bulb off is defective, or something else is wrong, but without the bulb my ability to get 2 or even 3 days off this battery are looking more likely. 11 watts parasitic (fridge cold, not used, detectors, etc.) call it it 1 AH. So <24 AH per day plus lights, water pump, etc. Much better than the > 30 AH I was drawing before.

Tags
boondocking