Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2024, 05:47 PM   #1
Stircrazy

so I got caught with my pants down.

in October, I was away from work, and we had a undocumented cold snap and I hadn't had a chance to winterize yet. I have never winterized in October as it is usually closer to the middle of November when we start getting that cold. anyways I did get it winterized after a few days when it warmed up but I already know a check valve or the 2 way valve on my water heater is screwed.. any other common parts that fail when water freezes.. I plan on pulling everything out of the storage and getting access to the water pump before I try anything to check the strainers out..

first time in 40 years I have been caught by a cold snap..

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 07:35 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd check closely the outdoor shower faucet, the caps on the low point drains, the valve stems in the faucets inside, water pump head, toilet flush valve (it has a little dimple on it. If the dimple is pushed out, the valve has been frozen). Then, there's all the "cheap plastic fittings" on the PEX tubing. The PEX will probably be unaffected, but all those "china elbows" are easy to crack when frozen.

The easiest way to check for a "tiny leak" is to put a few gallons in the fresh water tank, run the faucets to purge all the air, then turn all the faucets off, wait for a few hours (a quiet overnight sleep works great) and if you hear the water pump "burp" during the test, there's a pressure loss (water leak) somewhere..... The "burp" may only be a 1 second pump run or it may be 2 or 3 seconds.... That depends on the pressure setting and the sensitivity of the pressure switch in the pump head. But if it "burps" you've got a leak somewhere..... Possibly the pump head bleeding back into the fresh water tank, but that usually shows up much sooner in the winterizing/dewinterizing process.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 05:37 PM   #3
Stircrazy

thanks JRTJH, ya this one has always has a little 1/2 second burp once or twice a night since new but I have never been able to find a leak. this might give me a chance to finaly fine it haha.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:10 AM   #4
notanlines

Steven, after reading the title I immediately had visions of you dashing from one RV to another, pitch black outside, trousers in your hand, your SO just about to pull the truck into your space....nope, another freeze problem from the north.
Ah, the mods probably wouldn't have let it go past 'PG' anyway.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:01 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Steven, after reading the title I immediately had visions of you dashing from one RV to another, pitch black outside, trousers in your hand, your SO just about to pull the truck into your space....nope, another freeze problem from the north.
Ah, the mods probably wouldn't have let it go past 'PG' anyway.
So, "notanlines" comments on "nomoonbeamlines".... Hmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM   #6
SharmanClan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
in October, I was away from work, and we had a undocumented cold snap and I hadn't had a chance to winterize yet. I have never winterized in October as it is usually closer to the middle of November when we start getting that cold. anyways I did get it winterized after a few days when it warmed up but I already know a check valve or the 2 way valve on my water heater is screwed.. any other common parts that fail when water freezes.. I plan on pulling everything out of the storage and getting access to the water pump before I try anything to check the strainers out..

first time in 40 years I have been caught by a cold snap..

Steve
Steve,

I would also check the City Water input valve as they are prone to failing if frozen. Once the system is pressurized, it will be clear if it has failed as it will allow water to exit the valve if it has ruptured.
SharmanClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:37 AM   #7
Ddaddyo

Hook up Air like you were blowing out the plumbing lines. Listen for the Hiss.
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 03:59 PM   #8
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddyo View Post
Hook up Air like you were blowing out the plumbing lines. Listen for the Hiss.
that's an idea. I already know I need to replace the three way valve for the water heater fill so I'll do that first. thanks