Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #1
crowbar

Adapter Question

For years I've been using a cheap 15/30 adapter for plugging my rv into my house or my generator. I heard that there's a risk of those cheap adapters overheating and melting so I finally went out and bought a proper "Camco" dogbone adapter for my trailer. I found that the first time I plugged it into my generator, the display panel in my trailer showed that it wasn't getting full power from the generator. I then put my old cheap adapter back on and got full power. Does this mean that the dogbone is somehow faulty and has some resistance issue, or am I misunderstanding something here?

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I've never considered any Camco product as being "proper". I've always considered the brand as inexpensive and low quality. Not clearbon what "full power" means (low voltage? Low amperage?) but I would return it. Personally I prefer Marinco for electrical connectors/adapters. They are marine grade and cost more but IMHO worth it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #3
crowbar

What I mean by "full power" is that the display panel shows battery condition by means of a series of lights. When it shows the batteries getting down close to "half charge", I plug in to power to bring the batteries up. The minute you plug into shore power or generator, the panel shows "full charge". But with the "Camco" dogbone, it would only light up to 3/4 charge. So I assume, there's something wrong with the new adapter because when using my old cheapo adapter, it goes immediately up to "full charge". I'll take your advice and buy a "Marinco" adapter off Amazon and hope it does the trick. Thanks, Marshall, for the tip.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
What I mean by "full power" is that the display panel shows battery condition by means of a series of lights. When it shows the batteries getting down close to "half charge", I plug in to power to bring the batteries up. The minute you plug into shore power or generator, the panel shows "full charge". But with the "Camco" dogbone, it would only light up to 3/4 charge. So I assume, there's something wrong with the new adapter because when using my old cheapo adapter, it goes immediately up to "full charge". I'll take your advice and buy a "Marinco" adapter off Amazon and hope it does the trick. Thanks, Marshall, for the tip.
That panel is a reflection of the voltage of the battery(s). When plugged into shore power it should read full as the voltage of the converter charges the battery (dc volts) When not plugged into shore power it should indicate the relative voltage of the battery. I say "relative" as that is not an accurate device. It will not indicate the voltage from the shore power (ac voltage). So that panel is not an indication of what the adapter is delivering from the shore power.

I have a digital voltmeter plugged into an outlet that will read the accurate ac voltage in the camper when plugged into shore power. They are available for less than $20. For battery voltage, I installed a dc voltmeter (marine grade weatherproof) on the battery box which sets on the tongue of our travel trailer. I did that so I know the battery condition before I operate the tongue jack.

I would suggest looking into an EMS (energy management system) as that will protect your electrical system from low voltage, high voltage, mios wired pedestals in the campgrounds.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote