Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
Mrdh63

Fridge Issue when furnace kicks in 2020 cougar

We recently purchased a Keystone Cougar Model 27RESWE 2020
when on battery power when the furnace starts it kicks out the fridge every time
I have tried everything select auto / select just propane
when the trailer is running off of our generator no issues
But the fridge will still chirp
any help would be great
still waiting for the service department to get back to us
Mrdh63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds to me like the battery is insufficient in charge or capacity to run the furnace and another appliance. The furnace is a HUGE power draw because of the 12vdc fan motor. When connected to the generator or shore power your converter is also supplying 12vdc as well as the battery.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
travelin texans

With a 2020 RV your dealer may have put in a marine type battery that's also used as a starting battery for boats, this type will have CC/CCA (cold cranking amps) listed on it's top & is not the best type to be used in a rv. You will need a battery/batteries with as high a number as possible of Ah (amp hours) listed on top, typically a group 24, 27 or 31 RV battery/batteries.
If you do a lot of boondocking, dry camping, without hookups, then a pair, or 2 pair, of 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series would be a better option.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
With a 2020 RV your dealer may have put in a marine type battery that's also used as a starting battery for boats, this type will have CC/CCA (cold cranking amps) listed on it's top & is not the best type to be used in a rv. You will need a battery/batteries with as high a number as possible of Ah (amp hours) listed on top, typically a group 24, 27 or 31 RV battery/batteries.
If you do a lot of boondocking, dry camping, without hookups, then a pair, or 2 pair, of 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series would be a better option.
Just to clarify, if you connect 4 6vdc batteries you would connect 2 batteries in series, the other 2 batteries in series then connect the 2 battery banks together in parallel.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
travelin texans

You'll have to research, with pictures, exactly how to wire 4 - 6 volt batteries, not sure I can explain it in print so it's understandable.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
Mrdh63

Thanks Everyone for the great information , I am heading back out to our lake lot this weekend I will check this our regarding the battery . does make perfect sense.
one thing though when the furnace blower motor starts it is at full RPM that would differently draw a lot right off the start. I did purchase a NAU31AGM with an high Amp/hr. for our old trailer only used once I will install it this weekend
Old 05-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #7
Mrdh63

Thanks everyone, I did put 2 brand new 31 AGM batteries in the trailer
With our older trailer the batteries would have to drop below 10.6 volts before we would have any issues. !

Tags
cougar, fridge, furnace