Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #1
German Shepherd Guy

First time boondocking: Excitment.

So, though we have owned a TT for 15 years, we have only ever used it in our business/pastime of showing dogs. So we were always camped at a show site where power and often full hook ups were available. With dog shows being cancelled we decided to go truly "camping" with our camper. (a 26RBPR) It turned into one exciting week-end.

Left Thursday for the Uncompahgre National Forest so as to find as nice site before the Memorial week-end rush. Great place on the side of 13,000 ft Lone Cone Mountain. We took 3 of the Shepherds and stayed for 3 nights. Absolutely beautiful views and great get away. About 600 yards from us and over a rise where we could not see or hear were a large gathering of family and friends who apparently always camped at that spot every Memorial week-end. Must have been 6 campers plus tents and people of all ages. But that was OK as I said we did not really hear or see them except passing on the road. Now there is a drought happening here of some magnitude. Enough so that DW and I decided no campfire. We took along a scout vehicle so we could drive to hiking trails around the mountain. On the second day we started out early and as we got to the main forest service road DW exclaimed "what the .... are they doing!" looking to my right I was shocked to see about 150 yards away through the trees flames 12 foot high starting up into the Ponderosa's and their entire camp trying to hold the flames back. Yep, our neighbors had set the forest on fire. Learned a thing here. I had not packed a shovel. Will never make that mistake again. A polaski and a shovel will become permanent tools in the truck. Fortunately they had shovels and I manned one in a fight to keep the fire contained. There were easily 15 of us. They had called for help, (first time I really appreciated cell phones. Not that long ago this fire would have turned into a major conflagration for lack of help) Took the BLM well over an hour to get there and we had all we could do to keep this thing out of the tree tops. Took the BLM crew and their tanker truck over 8 hours to put out the fire. They were joined by county fire crews. When i first started to fight the fire Carrie went back to our camp and began packing for a quick exit. It blew a gale that day but fortunately did not start until after the BLM crew had been there about 2 hours and they had by that time created a fair sized fire break as well as dumped the tanker of water. There is a lake about 8 to 10 miles away and they would go there to refill.
Though I had taken an extra 10 gallons of water, that got used up on the fire. And as I said I had no shovel. So really two things I learned. You cannot have too much extra water if you can carry it (and I could have) and have a shovel when Boondocking.
You know, all of the post and you guys never mentioned the fun of fighting forest fires when out Boondocking.
We look forward to our next adventure.

Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:37 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

That is quite the exciting way to spend a weekend! Glad you were able to help and happy to hear it had a good outcome. Thanks for sharing.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
Roscommon48

hard to read, i'm excited for you too, but paragraphs would greatly make it easier on my old eyes
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
Logan X

Good job getting that fire put out. That could have been disaster. I hope the BLM Rangers dealt with the people who started that fire.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #5
Sarge2

Wholly Crap!! That is NOT the way to spend a quiet camping experience... Scary stuff... Glad it worked out and things were under control... wonder what the BLM crew had to say to the campers who started that up? Bet they were not happy campers..no pun intended...
Sarge
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:16 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Oak, I'm happy you guys are OK. Yes, if you go to "the woods" (boondocking) a shovel(s) is mandatory. Boondocking "out there" is an absolute blast and nothing like being in developed campgrounds; so much more to see, do and in general a lot of "nothing" if you want it to be that way.

You also learned why I opted to stop camping in the wild; the idiots that now seem to permeate every open space completely unaware of safety, nature or being considerate.

It is a miracle the fire didn't get away from them and injure or kill them, you and/or many others not to mention the further damage that could be caused. Anyone that goes in a forest and starts a fire in/under the trees has to be totally aware of the weather, prior conditions (drought) and general safety rules. I'm afraid that leaves about 90% of the folks you encounter in the woods out. I had a friend on a hot shot crew in NM that worked a very large fire in some of my favorite mountains. He said once the fire gets in the tops it's more like a self perpetuating tornado....and sounds like one. I went to that area right after the fire (it was still smoking and smoldering). The damage was incomprehensible. The fire jumped over entire canyons and just kept going. Thankfully it was a very remote area and the only damage was a couple of ranches; don't know about the wildlife, cows etc. I do know that the friend said they saw singed deer running out.

Anyway, when in the woods with anyone always be ever mindful of them and watch what they do. They could kill or trap you due to their negligence. Hopefully the feds took action and fined/billed the folks that started the fire.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
LewisB

Thanks for sharing the story - unfortunately, there is no short supply of "stupid" in the boondocks (or anywhere else I suppose). And stupidity is not new or generational.

When the DW and I were first married (1971), we were tent camping in Yosemite NP up above Bridalveil Falls in an unimproved camp ground. A family in a brand new Class A motor home (first one I ever saw up close) with a new temporary California license plate showed up. The rig was too big to fit into the camping space, so they just set up in the road, completely blocking all access.

The Dad digs around in the storage are, comes out with a chain saw, walks into the middle of the campground and cuts down about an 8" diameter 30' tall pine tree. Happened so fast none of us could stop him. They cut up the tree into 24" pieces, put them in the fire pit, poured about 3 gallons of gas on the green logs and proceeded to try to get them to burn! That's about the time the forest ranger drove up.

The rangers (more showed up) spent about 2 hours searching their books and calling the station attempting to find some law that would allow them to arrest and jail the offender. They were unsuccessful in the attempt (too bad, we thought), but they did write him a $700 ticket including a court summons. They made him load all the wood into the back of the Ranger's truck. They also told him that if they ever saw the motor home again in the park they would make sure that he went straight to jail even if they had to make up a reason!

What was it Forest Gump's mom always said? "Stupid is as stupid does?"
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
meaz93*

Yeah what Sourdough said exactly[emoji15]
You can't fix stupid and unfortunately their are numerous herds on said offenders.
I too hope the Forestry fines and or bans them from dry camping in National Forests.....you could have wound up a statistic as well as many others[emoji26]
Now you have a great campfire story to share!
A large campfire in the middle of the Forest?unbelievable......
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200413-195333_Facebook.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	27553
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

When we were boaters we rarely ventured out on Memorial day. Too many idiots out for the first time ever or first time for the season. I'd see idiots that had no idea how to operate a boat much less anchor, dock, tie up or navigate. Alcohol magnified the problem exponentially.

I've found camping the same. New owners that can't maneuver and have no idea about CG etiquette or common sense. It may not be generational but the lack of respect and common sense has certainly increased over the years.

JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

It seems there is always someone in a group that needs to build a fire even in 100 F degree temps. I do not get it nor ever have. As mentioned alcohol plays a big roll in being stupid.
I will build a fire in cold/wet weather when tent camping at times.
I have used a shovel a few times while working or camping in the woods to put out small fires and called in big ones.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:12 PM   #11
Huntme

those are,the kind of people,I will avoid,for all kinds of reasons,and you named just a few.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:20 AM   #12
German Shepherd Guy

An update:
Been pretty busy this week but a final tale to the story.
As we were leaving the next morning a BLM Law Enforcement vehicle was pulling into our neighbors camp. I think someone probably had a bad day.
My personal belief is that one of the smaller children slipped away from camp and wanted to have their own "camp fire" to sit around instead of being with the adults or maybe a young or pre-teen who wanted to smoke without mom & dad knowing.
Any way, that day our county initiated a fire ban.

Happy Summer everyone.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking