Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2016, 05:07 AM   #1
prorodeo

Fridge won't auto switch to gas

Kink in the gas line with the kitchen slide in. Dealer zip tied the gas hose in a short loop to prohibit the LP gas line for hanging down and kinking the gas line after the slide is retracted.

I'll still check with Keystone next week and confirm the fix.

New 2016 333mks, bought in April. Noticed that the Check Light would come on after about a minute after dropping shore power. I assumed the problem was operating the fridge on battery but it coincided with retracting the kitchen slide and dropping shore power.

Had the unit in for this and a few other small problems. Service could not make it fail. When I went to pick it up, I turned on the gas, connected the battery and had it failing in two minutes.

I don't know why service guys do this, this is our third trailer and I know how the refrigerators are supposed to work, I called the service tech out to my unit, he played with the buttons on the front of the fridge and proclaimed that this model of Domestic Refrigerator doesn't auto switch. I'd have to manually push the Gas Only button before we head down the road. The only thing was, it still wasn't working on gas only. He tried to light the stove and nothing. Now he says it's a safety thing. Keystone wants to make sure you don't accidentally leave the stove on while driving. Now I know he's BS'ing me. So I ask, "why don't we call Keystone? I know you guys have a special phone number that gets you right in to talk to their technicians." He said the owner would have to make the call, no problem I headed in to find the owner. Two minutes later while waiting for owner the tech comes in and said he found the problem, the kinked hose and he's fixing the problem. Amazing.

Thought you'd all enjoy the story. Hopefully it helps anyone having a similar problem.
prorodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:49 AM   #2
dcg9381

You might not want to call Keystone - I think we've got a post indicating where Keystone consumer support says fridges aren't to be running while traveling... RV 101.

I don't know what it is either - it's a push to get people out the door... I've run into it at my dealer too around slide adjustments that were "done" but I got a blank stare when I said "show me"....

Not everyone is like this... It's very much changed my perspective on how I'll buy my next car or RV.. Start in the service area.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
gearhead

In the unlikely event there is ever any legislation regarding RV services, these dealers better not be crying over it. They will have brought it on themselves.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:04 AM   #4
silverbullet18

So what is the truth. Are you not supposed to run the fridge while traveling. I am having issues when I travel home from shore power of switching over to automatic and when I get home the check light is on. I had a palomino and had no issues. When you are on auto does it not run off of 12 volt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas and Becky
2016 Bullet 269RLS
2010 GMC Sierra 5.3
silverbullet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
NotyetMHCowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
You might not want to call Keystone - I think we've got a post indicating where Keystone consumer support says fridges aren't to be running while traveling... RV 101.

I don't know what it is either - it's a push to get people out the door... I've run into it at my dealer too around slide adjustments that were "done" but I got a blank stare when I said "show me"....

Not everyone is like this... It's very much changed my perspective on how I'll buy my next car or RV.. Start in the service area.
Tell that to the thousands of people that full time. Are they supposed to put everything in a cooler each time they move for more than half a day in the heat? That's ridiculous. These fridges should be meant to be on 24/7 365. Mine is. I have had issues while traveling though. I am not sure what the issue was, but would arrive at the campground with 40+ degree temps. A few times 50+. Most of the time it works fine. With that said, I will probably never buy another unit with a fridge in the slide.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
bobbecky

This is copied directly from the Norcold manual for the fridge in our rig, which is a 1210 gas and electric model which auto switches to gas when the AC is unplugged. They would not say this if the fridge was not intended to be run while traveling.

Operation during travel:
While the refrigerator should be level when the vehicle is
stopped, performance during travel is not usually effected.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #7
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyetMHCowner View Post
Tell that to the thousands of people that full time. Are they supposed to put everything in a cooler each time they move for more than half a day in the heat? That's ridiculous.
That's my point. I don't even know where they come up with this stuff. Seems to be a rust to push the consumer issue out the door regardless on the accuracy of the information.

Yes, fridges are travel capable... RV 101.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
gearhead

If the fridge is under warranty call around and find a repair shop that is an authorized warranty center. My dealer couldn't fix mine in 3 trips. A family owned repair shop that has been in business 35 years did though.
You can buy extended warranties from Dometic.
Yes I did.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:44 AM   #9
prorodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet18 View Post
So what is the truth. Are you not supposed to run the fridge while traveling. I am having issues when I travel home from shore power of switching over to automatic and when I get home the check light is on. I had a palomino and had no issues. When you are on auto does it not run off of 12 volt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I bought my first trailer the salesman told me that it was illegal to run the hot water heater on gas while traveling. That was 15 years ago and at the time I did some checking and sure enough I found that some states do make it illegal to run the hot water heater on gas, a safety issue while fueling.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #10
prorodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post

I agree, one might not want to call Keystone but for another reason. I just had the most frustrating time with their rep Nattlee Miller. She refuse to let me (a customer) talk to anyone with technical ability or to a supervisor for that matter. They talk about all their customer service and awards, yet when you actually want to talk to someone about a problem, they're belligerent.

You know I should know better by now, you buy an RV from Keystone and you're on your own.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:12 AM   #11
rvblackelk

Question Fridge won't switch

Thanks for the heads up on the fridge in the slide-out, but mine isn't. Does anyone have an idea how to check it? My furnace and stove are running fine, it is just that the fridge does't automatically switch over when I disconnect from the shore power.
rvblackelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:56 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvblackelk View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the fridge in the slide-out, but mine isn't. Does anyone have an idea how to check it? My furnace and stove are running fine, it is just that the fridge does't automatically switch over when I disconnect from the shore power.
Why have you posted this an atread that's nearly 4 years old? I'd suggest you delete this and start a new thread as you'll most likely get more responses.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:53 PM   #13
Avalanche80601

If your refrigerator is like mine... I have to set the fridge to Auto. Then it will run on A/C shore power, or switch to propane when it's unplugged. On my fridge, the digital reading will show an icon for both power and propane to tell me I'm on Auto setting.

Can show you pictures if helpful.
Avalanche80601 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
333mks, fridge won't auto switch, gas line kinked