Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2020, 06:01 AM   #1
Canonman

AZ 89 to Sedona

We are planning a trip to Sedona this season. Trip planner is routing us down AZ 89 through Oak Canyon. The map shows this as a good 2 lane highway but I'm seeing some serious looking switchbacks about 1/2 way from Flagstaff to Sedona. We are pulling a 30' Cougar 5th wheel and just wanted to know if any members have any comments regarding this route.
Also, there is a Forest Service campground "Cave Springs" along this highway.
Anyone have any info on camping at Cave Springs or other suggestions in this area??
Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65394907_981070838766968_8671439297317961728_n.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	25253  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #2
hornet28

Been 5 years since I was last there. But 89 has always been a decent road. A little narrow in some spots with no shoulder. Yes there are some serious switchbacks coming down into the canyon from Flagstaff. Depends on your driving experience and level of confidence in mountain driving as to whether or not you'd be ok going down it. If you have an exhaust break on the Cummins use it and downshift or your brakes will take a beating.
The picture you posted is wild
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
RK1978

Another issue with this route is traffic. Last time we went through Sedona from the north it was wall to wall with very few places to stop-parking lots full, no space along streets. We gave up on trying to stop and continued on. This was during spring break time, late March-early April time frame. We hadn't been there for several years and were amazed (and dismayed) at the amount of development that had taken place. Sedona has gone from a pretty little town to a crowded tourist trap. It may not be so bad at other times of the year.
PR
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know about the campground. 89 is a pretty good road and the switchbacks are negotiable just taking your time and taking it easy.

There was a mention of traffic....and boy, is there traffic. 89 is nothing compared to the traffic in Sedona and just trying to get around...literally. Bumper to bumper, packed. It's ridiculous to me. Decades ago it was pretty serene, and pretty. Now, whatever you want to do, wherever you want to go, whatever you want to see....there will be a hundred others by your shoulder.

I've read of a lot of the reasons this has happened and some of them have property owners up in arms but that is neither here nor there; it is what it is. I went last about 6 years ago and said I would never go back; we haven't and won't; too many other nice places to see without all that aggravation (to me). Hopefully it will be much better when you go; we have gone primarily in the spring and summer. We now try to just stay up in Pinetop or Show Low, AZ - much better to us. If you stay there make a run (or 4 or 5) over to Greer if you like to fish. Catch some trout whenever you get hungry for them and have a nice time while doing it....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote