Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2020, 11:10 PM   #1
Fishsizzle

Poor kid, Crazy

So an employee at works kid has suffered from “ear wax” blockage for years. They have been to numerous ENT dr and no one could get it out. They tried dissolving it, sedating her to try and get a small spiral drill in there but it broke off.

Poor kid just couldn’t handle the pain and was now deaf. The went to another ENT today and they ordered a CT scan. He sent them to ER right away to get an MRI because they said she can’t wait for an appointment.

Turns out this is a tumor in her ear! And now will travel to OHSU to get it removed ASAP.

Look at the left side, open, right side the big white mass. Thankfully it hasn’t reached into her brain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E8BC3D3E-FE69-4B69-8AB8-D56DA2FDF8B5.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	24912  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:28 AM   #2
kksfish

Wow! Remind me not to ever go to the first Doc who confused a tumor with ear wax!
Old 01-22-2020, 06:48 AM   #3
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksfish View Post
Wow! Remind me not to ever go to the first Doc who confused a tumor with ear wax!
What’s crazy was it was more than 1 DR who said it was wax. Several did and just gave up
Old 01-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
92xj

That's is crazy and sure makes for a loss of confidence in doctors. Clearly all aren't the same but us average Joe's have no idea which is better until something like his happens.
Good luck to the little gal and hope everything goes great!
92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #5
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92xj View Post
That's is crazy and sure makes for a loss of confidence in doctors. Clearly all aren't the same but us average Joe's have no idea which is better until something like his happens.
Good luck to the little gal and hope everything goes great!
Thanks, she’s a nice young lady.

It was odd as I was talking with a client whom we are all close to about it and he said right away it was a tumor. He is a retired lawyer and has 2 cases in his day with same instances, Dr thought it was earwax, and it turned out to be a tumor. He said, “it’s always a tumor” if they can’t get it out first try.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

While I suppose anything is possible, I don't understand how someone examining the tympanic membrane could confuse what's OUTSIDE the TM with something INSIDE the TM... If the tympanic membrane is visible, it can't be "earwax". The ear doesn't produce "earwax" on the inside of the TM. AND: If the TM isn't visible, it's abnormal anatomy and needs CT exam to diagnose why the auditory canal is blocked.

Sure sounds like a "multiple ball drop diagnosis" to me. Hopefully she'll be OK and it's not a malignant tumor..... These next few months won't be fun for her or her family. Here's hoping for a good outcome !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:16 AM   #7
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
While I suppose anything is possible, I don't understand how someone examining the tympanic membrane could confuse what's OUTSIDE the TM with something INSIDE the TM... If the tympanic membrane is visible, it can't be "earwax". The ear doesn't produce "earwax" on the inside of the TM. AND: If the TM isn't visible, it's abnormal anatomy and needs CT exam to diagnose why the auditory canal is blocked.

Sure sounds like a "multiple ball drop diagnosis" to me. Hopefully she'll be OK and it's not a malignant tumor..... These next few months won't be fun for her or her family. Here's hoping for a good outcome !!!!!

I agree. When her mom has been relating the saga for the last year to us, we were stymied as how someone could let their ear get that bad.

They went in and tried digging it out several times. Like I mentioned even sedated her. They couldn’t get to far into it because even sedated it was to painful. They sent her home with a prescription for a liquid to dissolve it. Obviously I didn’t work. Poor Girl had to go deaf in the ear before someone dig a little deeper.

I will say this, I do believe that we are judged on our appearance. This young girl had made her hair into dreadlocks and dressed rather shabby. She looked like she could use a bath. I do believe it played a part in how DR thought of her and what to do.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:

Maybe they had the CAT PICTURE upside down and couldnt tell the inside from the outside. Or not?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #9
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Maybe they had the CAT PICTURE upside down and couldnt tell the inside from the outside. Or not?
The first CT pic that anyone ordered was yesterday; and the ENT told them to run to ER for MRI. No one ever ordered any scans for previous visits. Even though pus and blood came out when then tried removing it before.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
The first CT pic that anyone ordered was yesterday; and the ENT told them to run to ER for MRI. No one ever ordered any scans for previous visits. Even though pus and blood came out when then tried removing it before.
That's astounding. I don't want to jump to place blame, so, "just WOW" !!!!!

And to a previous comment: People with dirty clothes and dreadlocks have the same anatomy as everyone else, so treat the disease, not the patient's appearance... Again, WOW, just WOW !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:04 PM   #11
Fishsizzle

Quote:
That's astounding. I don't want to jump to place blame, so, "just WOW" !!!!!

And to a previous comment: People with dirty clothes and dreadlocks have the same anatomy as everyone else, so treat the disease, not the patient's appearance... Again, WOW, just WOW !!!
I agree. I’m gosmacked for sure over it. And I really believe they just took one look her and didn’t care.

Our worker took her to ER and the administration person and the DR she saw BOTH had the same tumor condition resolved years ago! Insane!
Old 01-25-2020, 12:06 AM   #12
Fishsizzle

Update: Surgery went well. They still have no idea what this thing is. Substantial hearing loss. Till I see mom I won’t know exactly what happened and if she will get her hearing back
Old 01-25-2020, 03:31 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Our prayers and thoughts go out to this young lady. Wishing for all the best and a positive outcome.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote