Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
Davidh1329

Avalanche 320RS - Where's the switch?

We just purchased a "new to us" 2017 Avalanche 320RS. It is our 4th camper. It has the two round lights above the hitch mirror. Where is the switch for these lights? Not a big deal, but I did spend a little time searching. I am sure I probably touched the switch trying to look behind it.....

Been on one trip so far and really happy with this camper. Headed to the beach for a long weekend on Friday.

Thanks!

David
Davidh1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
jsb5717

In ours the switch is in the control center inside the rig. Ours has a few switches that aren't labeled but we figured out what they go to.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
rjrelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
In ours the switch is in the control center inside the rig. Ours has a few switches that aren't labeled but we figured out what they go to.
“In my house there's this light switch that doesn't do anything. Every so often I would flick it on and off just to check. Yesterday, I got a call from a woman in Madagascar. She said, 'Cut it out.'” ~ Steven Wright

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
tech740

My cougar had those lights. The switch was outside under the overhang on the drivers side. It was also controlled from the remote.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

On most of the remote systems before the In-Command came along, the remote "deactivated the switch"... So, if you turned the light on with the remote, the switch wouldn't work until you turn the light off with the remote. So, if you try the switch under the overhang and it doesn't do anything, try the remote, once the remote turns it off, the switch will work again.... Some people have reported "inadvertent switch activation" without any knowledge of the action, sort of like "butt dialing a cellphone" so you may not be aware that you ever turned the light on with the remote.

If you don't have the remote, you can do a "system reset" by disconnecting all power from the trailer and then shorting the 12VDC input on the remote receiver to ground. That will remove the "static memory" and reset the remote receiver... The receiver is usually installed in the forward curbside storage area, often on the ceiling of that space.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
dadnjesse

My cougar had that light with the remote and the switch under the overhang, I must of turned it on with the remote and couldn't figure out how to shut if off. I disconnected the wire. I Traded it in before I figured it out.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:13 AM   #7
John&Genny

Although I have a 320RS, I’ve only located the switch once and never used it again. I’m not 100% certain, but I believe it’s in the battery compartment. I know it’s not somewhere that makes sense, like the control panel

Unless something has changed, the 320RS didn’t come with the “In-Command” control system. And from what I’ve read, that might not be a bad thing. Seems like the early versions of that system had some major problems.

And congrats on the 320RS! We love ours so far, no major problems, just a few minor ones here and there. Let me know if you need any help on other features of the 5th wheel.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #8
Davidh1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Although I have a 320RS, I’ve only located the switch once and never used it again. I’m not 100% certain, but I believe it’s in the battery compartment. I know it’s not somewhere that makes sense, like the control panel

Unless something has changed, the 320RS didn’t come with the “In-Command” control system. And from what I’ve read, that might not be a bad thing. Seems like the early versions of that system had some major problems.

And congrats on the 320RS! We love ours so far, no major problems, just a few minor ones here and there. Let me know if you need any help on other features of the 5th wheel.
We had a Cougar with a similar light. That switch was under the overhang...made sense. Inside the battery compartment sounds reasonable. I looked in there (means nothing) and didn't see it, but there are lots of "hiding places" I will look again. THANKS!
Old 01-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #9
JDDilly

I had an Avalanche before our HC and it was in by the batteries.
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #10
John&Genny

OK, photographic proof that I'm not crazy, at least when it comes to this subject Left side of the battery compartment and it's even labeled!

Went out to the 320RS where it's kept in storage to make sure everything was OK. I usually check for water incursion, critter incursion, etc. at least monthly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DockingLights.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	25017  
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #11
Davidh1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
OK, photographic proof that I'm not crazy, at least when it comes to this subject Left side of the battery compartment and it's even labeled!

Went out to the 320RS where it's kept in storage to make sure everything was OK. I usually check for water incursion, critter incursion, etc. at least monthly.
YEP! That is exactly where it is
It is partially covered by the battery box, but clearly visible when I know what I'm looking for. I'd looked in that compartment a couple of times...

THANKS!