Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
LHaven

Adding fireplace to 26RBSWE

Who has a Cougar 26RBSWE that came with the fireplace? Or who has removed theirs, or installed one aftermarket?

I expected to get a fireplace in mine, because they were shown that way on the Keystone website 3D tour, but they changed the option package.

My rig comes with a paneled bump-in where the fireplace ought to be (image). If the fireplace is just added in front of that, it wouldn't be a hard mod (I'd have to relocate the propane detector someplace, and hole-saw a small port to the outside fridge outlet, but that isn't so hard.) But if it has to be inset into the wall in any fashion, the DIY task would give me great pause.

From the 3D tour, it looks like it is just added in front of the wall, with a custom trim surround. Is that available for purchase?

(In the tour, I can't see the propane detector anywhere. Would it be reasonable to mount it on the side of the trim?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6947.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	24598  
Old 12-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Canonman

Being the "Lazy Sort", I just used an electric heater and a candle on top. DW says that doesn't look the same as a fire place. I told her to squint a little...
That's when the fight started
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DPP_91809170-2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	24601  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
jhplak325

Can’t answer about adding a fireplace, but per the floor plan layout it is an option for both the East and West versions.

Look by the bathroom door in the 3D floor plan and you can see the propane detector.
jhplak325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I've not found anything to show what it looks like in place. I have looked at the 3D and some dealership walk throughs. The way those panels are placed it looks like just placing it in front of the panel would sort of put it in the way and look like....an "add on". Have you got a link to the walk through with the installed fireplace?

My thought would be to cut that panel out and install the fireplace flush with a trim ring and relocate the LP detector. Ours is flush in the cabinetry and looks "finished"....and, we love it and use it most every day it is cooler. It is VERY effective.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It appears that there are two different cabinet arrangements for the trailer. One, like yours, is flat and has the "decorative crosshatch" panel.

The other, has a projecting cupboard with added countertop, sloped sides and an opening for the optional fireplace.

While it's possible to "cut into your cabinet" and install a fireplace, without knowing what is behind that "crosshatch panel" you may wind up with a "humongus mess"... Proceed carefully if you decide to move forward with cutting into your panel.

Here are a few photos of both:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016 26 fireplace a.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	24602   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 26 fireplace b.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	24603   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 26 fireplace c.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	24604   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 26 fireplace d.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	24605  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^John is right. I could not find that picture. There is obviously a reason they placed the fireplace outside that paneled area and I would be hesitant to just "cut into it" without extensive investigation to see why the factory didn't.

Looks like you could just order the OEM fireplace and "whoop" up a little cabinetry and be in business. It still appears that the fireplace option was an "add on" outside the planned interior so shouldn't be too difficult hopefully - but, they are nice. I see the LP detector was moved from the panel where the fireplace will go to the partition between the closet? doors and the bathroom/bedroom? door.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
LHaven

Yeah... when I reviewed the 3D, it became obvious to me that they just placed the whole electrical unit in front of the existing wall and then boxed it in. Unless there is some hidden interference between the thickness of the fireplace unit and the decorative mullions and rails installed in non-fireplace models, it would seem to be more or less trivial to install, especially if one could purchase Keystone's cabinetry surround (either from the manufacturer or from an owner who took out his fireplace, which I've seen). Does Keystone offer parts like that?

I'd have a dickens of a time relocating the propane detector to the bathroom door frame, as I don't know of any easily exploitable 12V cabling in that area. I'd be more likely to install it under the bottom kitchen drawer, as I could run a line right to the fusebox area. Or I don't see any real reason why I couldn't put it on one of the angled walls of the fireplace, unless there's a depth problem.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The propane detector needs to be a specific distance above the floor. I can't remember for sure what that measurement is, but you can't "fit it under the range drawer and not get false alarms.

As for location, I'd suggest putting it at the same height as it currently is, and on the "blank sloping wall" on the opposing side of the fireplace"... Not next to the air vents for the furnace. There's too much air movement in that area and you may affect the ability of the detector to have contact with LPG or other substances that trigger an alarm if the substance is moving past too rapidly as it's "sucked into the furnace vent openings"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-12-2019, 06:12 PM   #9
LHaven

Ugh. That's a no-win situation. If I put it on the left, it's next to the furnace intake. If I put it on the right, it's next to the furnace floor register. Now I see why they put it over by the bathroom.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

All you need for the LP detector is a steady 12 VDC source. You can obtain that from any direct 12 volt line under the trailer. I'd suggest, if you move it to the bathroom wall, lower the coroplast on the closest side, locate a reliable 12 volt wire, tap into that, drill a small hole in the floor and run the wire up, into the trailer to power the LP detector. If there's a closet nearby, you don't have to be as "precise" in measurements, but chances are you'll have more than one hole in the floor. Plug the others with silicone (top and bottom) to prevent water from getting to the foam inner core of the floor.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #11
Customer1

Mine came like this but with doors rather than the fireplace. I added shelves inside and it makes a great can pantry. We must have 3 dozen cans or more of food in the cabinet.

I didn't want the fireplace, we do fine with a simple electric heater.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
LewisB

I can't speak to your trailer issues, but I would like to add to the fireplace discussion...

When we purchased our trailer, I thought the fireplace was kind of hokey. After using it for awhile, we have come to really like it! It adds useful heat (1800W) and a surprising amount of ambiance. I find myself mesmerized just sitting and watching - just like watching the coals of a real wood fire. This is especially useful if you are camped in a National Forest with fire restrictions in place. [The DW says I'm easily entertained].

Two points: 1) I had reason to remove ours for other work. It is about 4" thick but has quite a bit of space behind it. Is there a "heat/space" requirement for clearance around these things? You should research this issue. 2) It does require 110VAC to operate. So you will either need shore power or a running generator plus a 110V receptacle to use it. If you boondock, it would pull down your batteries quickly if run on an inverter.

Good luck making your decision and modifications.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #13
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
It is about 4" thick but has quite a bit of space behind it. Is there a "heat/space" requirement for clearance around these things? You should research this issue. 2) It does require 110VAC to operate. So you will either need shore power or a running generator plus a 110V receptacle to use it.
There is a 110V outlet right on the other side of the wall for the mini-fridge inside the "outdoor grill" hatch. A hole saw and a desk wiring grommet, and that's done.

I imagine there is a setoff requirement. My hope was either to get the optional assembly from Keystone, or to take advantage of the occasional classified in which someone removed his own cabinetry and is selling it.

As far as rewiring the gas detector, I've realized that there is a 12V line in the bathroom wall for the light switch, though probably no ground available there. But it wouldn't be one of those magic circuits that bypasses the battery shutoff switch, so I would have to research whether I would be violating some code, or whether that code just applies to the manufacturer. Personally, I wouldn't think of inhabiting the rig in any fashion with the shutoff switch off, so it wouldn't matter to me.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post

I imagine there is a setoff requirement. My hope was either to get the optional assembly from Keystone, or to take advantage of the occasional classified in which someone removed his own cabinetry and is selling it.
LH

I know it's not the same model but if you lookup electric fireplace inserts on Amazon, I think you’ll find that regardless of manufacturer they all seem to need the same clearance between unit and side wall. It would be more comforting to see the installation manual for your exact fireplace insert but I think researching on Amazon will tell you what you need to know.

We love the fireplace in ours, both for ambiance and as a heat source.

Watching your thread just for the knowledge.

Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:51 AM   #15
Miloski

Check with the manufacture to purchase the fireplace and kick out with top.

David
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote