Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2020, 02:41 AM   #21
Roscommon48

It happens. You just have to do what the park needs you to do. And of course, if you don't like it just move on down the road.

Here at the Naval Station Campground in Key West.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #22
bbells

West 40 RV in Gilbert MN told me one morning at 9am that I had to move my trailer to another spot immediately. That someone else wanted my spot. The spot I reserved was filled the day before so management put me in this other spot. Unfortunately, we were walking out the door to a scuba competition when they stopped us. We had to cancel diving (the reason we were up there) and walked over to check out the other site before moving the trailer. The road was blocked by dirt track vehicles and we wouldn't have been able to get our trailer to the new spot. The people with the blocking vehicles were very nice and told us that they reserved 6 spots, but only were given 2 when they got there. I hooked up the trailer and left. I notified the scuba center that divers may not want to use that lace next year.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #23
TG10894

RV’ing in the Keys

Thanks for all the comments. We ultimately moved and the park manager was very apologetic about the error. That was really all I was looking for and understand why the spots are tight. Good advice I heard here was know your site boundaries before you park. The attendant that helps you park, if they have one, doesn’t always know your footprint once deployed. This trailer only has one small slide out so it is not an odd case. Otherwise, we enjoy this park and the folks here. Happy trails!
TG10894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:20 PM   #24
LHaven

Recently, I stayed at a park in El Paso where I've stayed several times since 1999 for extended periods. The space we were assigned was tight and the utility pylon placed such that there was no room to position our rig differently, either back and forth or sideways. People had to park their TVs behind their rigs sideways, and I had to ask the camper next door to move his truck temporarily just so I could swing into the spot. After we were parked, this is what we had to deal with for the duration of our stay. I won't be back there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6814.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	25063  
Old 02-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #25
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Recently, I stayed at a park in El Paso where I've stayed several times since 1999 for extended periods. The space we were assigned was tight and the utility pylon placed such that there was no room to position our rig differently, either back and forth or sideways. People had to park their TVs behind their rigs sideways, and I had to ask the camper next door to move his truck temporarily just so I could swing into the spot. After we were parked, this is what we had to deal with for the duration of our stay. I won't be back there.
Those X-Chocks need adjusting. Sorry.
We were in a similar site in Spokane WA. a few years ago. Almost the same setup. Wonder what the park owners were thinking.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #26
Steve's 70-5

With camper sales being up and trailers now have slides on both sides. It will not be getting any better.

Joe Walsh
Steve's 70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #27
crk112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I have never been to, nor do I ever wish to go to a campground where the spaces were so tight I had to worry if my slide went across some imaginary line into someone elses space. At that point id just go to a resort or something and stay in a nice room, cause that sure wouldnt be enjoyable to me.
This. Part of the reason this happens is because we (the customers) let them. Speak with your wallet and go somewhere else. If campers stop using sardine can CGs to park their trailers, sales go down, and campgrounds will be forced to act.

Yes I get that there are different reasons for parking and different camping setups... we regularly park at horse arenas to show the horses and space is limited at those... but nobody is setting up a full campsite outside their trailer at these events.

But for a campground we plan to visit, relax outside around the camper, then no sardine cans for me either!
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #28
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk112 View Post
Part of the reason this happens is because we (the customers) let them. Speak with your wallet and go somewhere else.
Or send a more direct message that a campground owner can actually see -- give the campground a review on Yelp and/or your favorite campground selection app.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #29
GlampingHippie

We have had to move after getting set up before also. It is a PITA but ultimately not that bad. Hubby and I have a running "time to beat" for setup/pack up so the extra practice is good .

For us it really depends on what the purpose of our trip is.

If camping is our reason for going, then I want a nice site, with space to spread out, places to walk the dogs, have a fire, etc.

If we drag our "hotel room" behind us and the reason for going is some other event we will be spending our time at, the paved parking lot is actually nice as it is easy and convenient and we are only spending time there to sleep.
GlampingHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:08 AM   #30
TG10894

Thanks for all the input folks

Ultimately, we stayed and all turned out ok. Keys are tight in most places, but the locale is so nice it out weighs the "packaging". If you aren't flexible, RVing probably isn't your thing anyway.
We will be back, but will be more mindful of footprint before setting up with slides. Ask the attendant where the boundary is so "you can judge" if you will be ok after slides are out. At this park, the back side boundary was over the centerline of the your sewer connection. Asking before you get setup may save you some angst later.
TG10894 is offline   Reply With Quote