Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
ScottG67

Lesson learned to pass along to others.

We bought our 2018 Cougar 27SAB in April 2018. The only problem we have had, knock on wood, is that the toilet would leak water onto the floor at the base. It is a Dometic 310, porcelain bowl with the plastic base. The leak only occurred when traveling, not while it was parked and in use. I would place a rag in the bowl to absorb any excess water that would collect during travel to eliminate the possibility that water was splashing out onto the floor. We still had water at the base. While it was under warranty I took it twice to CW service dept. The first time they replaced the flange seal, still leaked during travel only. The second time they just continually flushed the toilet to come to the conclusion that it didn't leak. The only thing they accomplished was to fill the black tank to the rim and give it back to me. Leaked again on the 5 mile trip home!!!
I contacted Dometic just after my warranty expired on the camper. There is a 2 year warranty on the toilet. I explained the problem to them and they shipped me a new toilet right away, free of charge. I installed it and have not had a leak since, knock on more wood. They were great to deal with and knew exactly what the problem was.
I had read on the Dometic website about a known seal failure between the porcelain and plastic, of which I explained to CW service writer both trips. When I took out the leaky toilet the plastic base was full of water and urine. Tipping it and jostling it caused the liquid to spill out of the plastic cavities that you can't see.
Just thought I would pass this along for anyone else that may be experiencing this problem.
ScottG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I hate to hear that! When my Thetford unit failed it had the exact same issue with the inner seal failing and the big cavities inside the bottom filled with very stinky stuff. Bought the 310 as a replacement and prior to installing saw that it didn't have those cavities that could fill....I thought. Hopefully this one won't fail in the same manner - that stuff was nasty, I was unaware of it so placed it in the 310 box and threw into a dumpster. When doing so the cavities emptied and all the "stuff" came pouring out of the box and onto me. I'm crossing my fingers.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #3
bobbecky

We replaced our original Thetford with a 310 some six years ago, and we are full time. We have not had a single issue with this toilet, so I'm thinking the early failure was a rare thing.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
ScottG67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
We replaced our original Thetford with a 310 some six years ago, and we are full time. We have not had a single issue with this toilet, so I'm thinking the early failure was a rare thing.
Our previous Cougar had the 310 also and no problems with it.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
ScottG67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I hate to hear that! When my Thetford unit failed it had the exact same issue with the inner seal failing and the big cavities inside the bottom filled with very stinky stuff. Bought the 310 as a replacement and prior to installing saw that it didn't have those cavities that could fill....I thought. Hopefully this one won't fail in the same manner - that stuff was nasty, I was unaware of it so placed it in the 310 box and threw into a dumpster. When doing so the cavities emptied and all the "stuff" came pouring out of the box and onto me. I'm crossing my fingers.
I'm sure that wasn't a pleasant experience! I took our old one out to the back of the property and rolled it around on the ground before putting it in the box. Luckily ours wasn't very old so it wasn't too fermented.