Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #21
goodellj

All diesel fuel is not created equal. I have found that I get 12-13mpg on "good" diesel and as low as 9.5mpg on el cheapo discount fuel. Unlike gasoline, the seller is not required to post the rating (cetane number) of the fuel at the pump, and is only required to meet the federal standard of a cetane number of 40. In Europe the minimum is 46, which is why a lot of European diesel cars run so poorly on American diesel. Your truck will run a lot better and get better fuel economy with better quality fuel. This is why lots of people are in the habit of adding a fuel supplement with every tankful, because it raises the cetane number of the fuel in their tank and makes their truck run better.

After all is said and done, I opt for better quality fuel at a truck stop. With my discount card and saving $.10 per gallon, I will get good fuel economy. Discount fuel might save 10% on price but deliver 20% less mpg, a false economy.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #22
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj View Post
All diesel fuel is not created equal. I have found that I get 12-13mpg on "good" diesel and as low as 9.5mpg on el cheapo discount fuel. Unlike gasoline, the seller is not required to post the rating (cetane number) of the fuel at the pump, and is only required to meet the federal standard of a cetane number of 40. In Europe the minimum is 46, which is why a lot of European diesel cars run so poorly on American diesel. Your truck will run a lot better and get better fuel economy with better quality fuel. This is why lots of people are in the habit of adding a fuel supplement with every tankful, because it raises the cetane number of the fuel in their tank and makes their truck run better.

After all is said and done, I opt for better quality fuel at a truck stop. With my discount card and saving $.10 per gallon, I will get good fuel economy. Discount fuel might save 10% on price but deliver 20% less mpg, a false economy.
Was in the business for over 30 years & all diesel is created equal, tested & regulated, but the truck stops fuel stays fresher due to higher volume usage than the mom/pop stations. There is not different grade of diesel fuel going to cheapo stations, but it does have a shelve/storage life just as gasoline does. Some stations & most truck stops sell bio diesel, which like 10% ethanol in gasoline, up to 15% posted on the pumps, that does reduce your fuel mileage.
Also just because you are buying at your favorite brand station does not mean you are buying fuel refined by that company, which ever refinery is nearest to that station that has the best price today is where the fuel will come from, tomorrow if the other refiner is cheaper it will come from there & on & on.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #23
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Was in the business for over 30 years & all diesel is created equal, tested & regulated, but the truck stops fuel stays fresher due to higher volume usage than the mom/pop stations. There is not different grade of diesel fuel going to cheapo stations, but it does have a shelve/storage life just as gasoline does. Some stations & most truck stops sell bio diesel, which like 10% ethanol in gasoline, up to 15% posted on the pumps, that does reduce your fuel mileage.
Also just because you are buying at your favorite brand station does not mean you are buying fuel refined by that company, which ever refinery is nearest to that station that has the best price today is where the fuel will come from, tomorrow if the other refiner is cheaper it will come from there & on & on.
Absolutely correct. Especially in the Western US, diesel fuel is "fungible" - it's all the same. With so few refinery locations left in the US, refiners typically ship diesel fuel through pipelines to terminals where lubricity additives and red dye (for non-highway diesel) are added. The terminals typically store bulk fuel from multiple sources in large tanks, then load trucks from the same loading rack - the truck might say "Pilot", "Loves", "Chevron", or "Circle K", but it's all the same fuel. Danny is also right about "turn-over" rate. Mom & Pop stations potentially have a higher probability of collecting sludge and/or water due to low turn-over. So I always look for high turn-over and ignore the logo on the stations signs.

(Danny, PM me if you would. I worked 32 years in the industry and am in Tucson.)
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Totally agree with Brad and Danny. I know at home what station has the lowest price and the busiest pumps. While on the road I typically get fuel unhitched and have the opportunity to "scope out" a station, talk with locals etc.

With the factory 38 gal tank I have yet "outdriven" the fuel tank before stopping at a cg.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #25
CaptnJohn

Friends that own a fleet I drove for when they needed a replacement driver quickly told me about this about 3 years ago. It became popular earlier this year when FMCA notifed their members. I carry 98 gallons of fuel. That gives me enough to get from 1 Loves TS to another. I get my fuel and def at Loves at the pump whenever possible. Fuel is usually cheaper than at any mom and pop around using the card. I was getting 9 cents off at PFJ but heard yesterday using this card the discount is higher now. Check the Montana Owners site and IRV2 site. There are a few that went the separate cc but fleets and RVers have been using the card for years without a problem. I generally save between $900-$1500 annually using the card at Loves truck stops over off highway mom and pops shops. This year it has been a low of a 41 cent discount to an 81 cent discount depending on the location. With the 98 gallon I could save more by going online and checking location prices but I’m not into that. I like the idea of disconnecting daily and going to a local station, less clogging at the TS so don’t stop now! ��

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #26
bustersdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Do you also use the loves or pilot card? It asked me for one and I just said skip.
I use my Good Sams card at Pilot or Flying j saves me about .05 cents per gallon
bustersdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #27
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Friends that own a fleet I drove for when they needed a replacement driver quickly told me about this about 3 years ago. It became popular earlier this year when FMCA notifed their members...
I don't have first hand experience but I'm told the FMCA plan is a different service and has smaller discounts.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #28
larryflew

So far this winter we have saved $145. Total of $911. Typical love's price was 10 cents higher than locals but gave a 35 cent plus discount. Most were $2.35 from MN to Biloxi to northern LA to San Antonio to Corpus to Casa Grande AZ. 14 fills with highest 2.68 at 3.05 sign price.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #29
KSH

On the 17th I bought about $400 in fuel, got $65 back on my statement 4 different places 2 loves, 1 pilot and another one that I can't remember (across 2 states). Seemed worthwhile to me.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel