Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2022, 05:27 PM   #1
dwdlt

New 5th Wheel

Today, I traded in my Keystone Laredo travel trailer and picked up a 2022 Cougar 27SGS 5th wheel.

I take delivery of the unit next Friday, and I'm a little overwhelmed with this. This will be my first 5th wheel. The salesman recommended an Anderson hitch instead of a slider.

It's a little late as I've already signed the paperwork, but wanted to get thoughts from the experts on here regarding the Anderson hitch setup. This hitch has a ball on it and then an attachment that slides onto the pin of the camper and then drops down over the ball on the hitch...And, I sure hope that makes sense

Thanks
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
dwdlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:56 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you search the forum, you’ll find the memo sent to dealers stating use of the Anderson may void any frame warranty claims.

Seems people either love it or hate it. I have a conventional hitch and have had one since my first fiver in 1989. I don’t have anything against the Anderson, I just want you to be aware of the warranty policy. Your salesman should have disclosed that memo to you.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...highlight=Memo

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:13 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

FWIW here's my take on this.

There are those that don't like the Andersen; it's aluminum, it "can't" be that strong, it voids the Lippert warranty, etc. etc. etc. Most, if not nearly all, have never owned one. Others have used them for millions of miles and love them.

Your pickle is the warranty and its importance. Keystone/Lippert both will not authorize any frame damage caused by an Andersen hitch or any other goose ball attached hitch other than a Reese Goose Ball. I researched that long and hard and don't know that I ever found an instance of an Andersen causing a frame failure that was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt; lots of Lippert frame failures? Yes. Keystone wall failures? Yes. I use an Andersen and bought it for the reasons expressed but I am also inside the warranty period Keystone and Lippert dictated.

With a brand new trailer, the question of using an Andersen even if it does have like a $1M warranty in the event Lippert doesn't cover it makes one worry. The ease of using an Andersen and the benefits it provides is hard to beat. I have no use for a 2-3 hundred pound hitch of any kind from anyone. The one I would recommend, if you choose something other than the Andersen, is the Reese Goosebox. Have it done at purchase. Have it adjusted to your truck. About the same price between the two. The Goosebox is covered by Lippert and Keystone so those roadblocks won't come up.

Others will chime in on their favorites but remember there are different styles of 5th wheel hitches; some weigh hundreds of pounds and will be hard to move and use, other are much lighter and much easier to use.....I chose not to build a hoist system at the house to try to get the hitch out.

Good luck on finding what you need and just ask away.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:15 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

For the record, I have installed lots of goose boxes and not 1 customer has said anything bad about them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:35 PM   #5
Roper46

I have used my current set up, see my sig, for eleven months now. Have not had a single issue with the Andersen. I have had one hard stop when a traffic light changed on me and I was going down hill. Had no problem with the Andersen or my 5er stopping.

The weight of the Andersen makes it so much easier to install and remove. I just stand it up on edge in my lockable shed. And oh yea, Camping World installed the Andersen for me the same day I bought the 5er from them.

And in case you can't tell, I love it.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:47 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

The Anderson hitch haters will come out of the woodwork. I have used one for years and not worried about warranty since I have an old trailer. Don't know of anyone that has had bad luck with an Anderson Ultimate. Easy on/Easy off and you have use of your bed when you want to haul plywood. Lippert and their memo are nonsense in my opinion. Plenty of Lippert frames have cracked with "authorized" hitches because of their crappy welds; especially those bedroom slides with the bed on them coming out the driver's side.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:15 AM   #7
gkainz

I’ve had my Andersen Ultimate for 8 years now and have no complaints.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:56 AM   #8
gearhead

The salesman should have told you about the Lippert and Andersen warranty issues. It's almost, if not, criminal.
Assuming you have the OEM puck system, I would put a Goosebox on it.
The 28SGS is a good trailer. It was our first 5th wheel. If it has the swivel rockers in the rear, tie them down so they don't destroy the rear window blinds and valance.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:18 PM   #9
jsb5717

I also had the Andersen hitch and really enjoyed it. It’s smooth, quiet, and easy to set up and take down. However, with the recent memo from Lippert to the OEM’s I, personally, would not use it on a new unit for the sake of my warranty. There are lots of good options. I am currently using the Demco Recon hitch in my short bed and am really enjoying it as well. It’s also smooth and quiet and very easy to work with.

My advice would be to pick a hitch that works for you but maintains your warranty. YMMV
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:56 PM   #10
roadglide

Last time I checked my dealer was selling Anderson hitches along with several other dealers in America. I like my hitch and use a torque wrench torquing to recommend specs marked on the hitch . I did some improvements to the Anderson hitch adding sealed box to carry 5 gallons of DEF and the hanger for the breakaway cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCB02ED7-1EC3-429B-B206-74667610558D.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	40525  
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:37 PM   #11
dwdlt

Yea, the weight and ease of install make it hard to beat
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
Old 07-03-2022, 03:39 AM   #12
heikejohn1

We have the 2018 28SGS, pulling with an Anderson.
Love the layout of the camper, love the ease of hooking it up, love the ability to take out the hitch.
We purchased the camper used, no mentioning of warranty problems.
No problems with the camper or the hitch.
Just not enough time to go places.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:52 AM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by heikejohn1 View Post
We have the 2018 28SGS, pulling with an Anderson.
Love the layout of the camper, love the ease of hooking it up, love the ability to take out the hitch.
We purchased the camper used, no mentioning of warranty problems.
No problems with the camper or the hitch.
Just not enough time to go places.
I have different reasons for not being a fan of the Anderson, and the same for the B&W Companion, That being they both need tools to install and they rest on the bed floor.
I am 70+, and yes my Reese is a bit heavy, but the heavy part is the picture frame adapter. All the same I can still get it all in myself, and no tools to install.

I do look at the Goose Box and the B&W for the puck system in our Ram.

As to the frame warranty issue, I think that the reason has nothing to do with the Anderson design, but more to do with the Lippert / Reese Goose Box relationship.

To the OP nice move to a 5er.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:38 AM   #14
dwdlt

Thanks for the info. I have printed this out and plan to call the dealership on Tuesday. I take delivery next Friday, and the dealership is supposed to install the hitch that day
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
Old 07-04-2022, 03:47 AM   #15
hondapro87

I love my B&W Companion, heavy yes but it is one solid hitch.
hondapro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:24 AM   #16
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdlt View Post
Today, I traded in my Keystone Laredo travel trailer and picked up a 2022 Cougar 27SGS 5th wheel.

I take delivery of the unit next Friday, and I'm a little overwhelmed with this. This will be my first 5th wheel. The salesman recommended an Anderson hitch instead of a slider.

It's a little late as I've already signed the paperwork, but wanted to get thoughts from the experts on here regarding the Anderson hitch setup. This hitch has a ball on it and then an attachment that slides onto the pin of the camper and then drops down over the ball on the hitch...And, I sure hope that makes sense

Thanks
It’s never to late if they talked you into something you really don’t want get with management and tell them so
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:32 AM   #17
CedarCreekWoody

I have an Andersen and it has worked great. But, if I had a chance to redo I would have gone with a Goosebox or conventional hitch. Like you I was new and dealer was pushing the Andersen. At that time there were not warranty concerns as there are today.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:43 AM   #18
James R Moneypenny

Quote:

Thanks
I got a new truck and changed from a Reese slider to the
Anderson hitch. Best thing I ever did. You do have to have your truck set up to have the ball in the bed. I installed the B&W turnover ball underbed set up. Be prepared for some actual work if you install this yourself - do have someone there to help. but the Anderson set up far, far exceeds the slider for utility and convenience. The new hitch eliminated the rough ride with the slider.
James R Moneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:28 AM   #19
jwheibe

I have a 2022 27SGS and an Anderson hitch in the back of my Chevy 2500HD. We have not had any problems at all with the hitch, it pulls great and hook-up is easy. I did a lot of research before going with the Anderson hitch, asked about it with my local RV shop, and didn't hear anything negative about it. I think you will be fine.
jwheibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:25 AM   #20
pdaniel

Quote:

Thanks
I have used an Andersen Ultimate with the setup you describe towing a Grand Design 310GK for four years and thousands of miles with no issues.
I have seen and read the stories of failures but never have seen any failure analysis of those failures.
I have experienced “quick stops” in those years and miles with no issues.

What I like about the hitch is I don’t need a straight shot at hitching and that helps me park the rig at my home at an angle.

It becomes a personal preference I suppose.
But should you buy the Andersen I recommend a bed mat under the hitch frame and check torque during use and after installing the hitch after any removal.
And that includes the pin adapter.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel