Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2023, 07:13 PM   #1
JeffQfd40

5th wheel slide-out

I have a Keystone Montana. Today I was opening my middle living room slide out and after hearing a loud bang I went outside and saw that the metal pipe, I believe it is the torque shaft, was seriously bent. Does anyone know if that is the correct piece? Where can I order the metal piece? And should I try fixing it myself?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231012_175735.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	45389  
JeffQfd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 02:45 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

That looks like the hydraulic ram. There is no fixing it as far as I know. There should be a tag on the cylinder for a part number.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 06:03 AM   #3
ChuckS

The hydraulic slide cylinder is bent... You need complete new one.. Drop coroplast and get the PN off the existing one to be able to order a new hydraulic cylinder ....

** these come in different lengths...

** ALso for the cylinder rod end to bend like that you have serious issues with both gear packs ... You may end up ordering at least one complete gear pack and maybe a guide bar ( part the meshes onto gearpack teeth )

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 06:20 AM   #4
foldbak

https://store.lci1.com/39in-hydrauli...e-black-339031
Check the rest of the components. Something caused the slide to bind bending the ram. Most likely the gears that connect the left and right rails. Personally I'd have a qualified tech do the repairs. Unless you're proficient at adjusting a slide you can cause other problems if the room isn't aligned properly.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 06:35 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is the link to the Lippert Support page for what I think is your slideout mechanism. https://support.lci1.com/2-x-2-hydraulic-slide-system

You can scroll through the tabs at the top of the page to access the components, the manuals, the drawings, troubleshooting charts, etc.

Hydraulic rams from Lippert vary in length and stroke and range from $250 to well over $700. The gear packs are around $100 each from Lippert, but are available for less on Amazon and possibly from any RV parts store around your local area. You will need to verify which ram is the correct part for your slide. Installing the wrong one will result in the same thing happening again or your slide not extending the correct distance.

If you crawl under your slide, you'll see a square tube connecting both gear packs. That square tube is what drives the "follower ram" to keep the slide moving equally at both ends.

From your photo, it looks like either that square tube came loose (sheared the bolt) at one end and the slide bound which bent the hydraulic ram shaft or, you had a catastrophic failure in one of the gear packs or the actual ram gear rail.

Here's the link for the hydraulic cylinders and the gear packs on the Lippert website:..https://store.lci1.com/rv/maintenanc...=Gear+Assembly

Remember, shop around if you plan to buy the parts and do the repairs yourself. Parts are available other places beside the manufacturer, often at substantially lower prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIDE RAIL GEAR PACK.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	45398   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIDE ROLLER WEAR TABS 1.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	45399  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS