Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #21
rjgkayusa

24mileboy. Good suggestion. I will give that a shot. putting the door locks forward should do the trick. Unless of cause it is a wash out. (sorry I could not resist, British humor in me)
rjgkayusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:42 AM   #22
rjgkayusa

My door does not open while stationary.
rjgkayusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:48 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

rjgkayusa, Suggest you take a sec and click on the UserCP button on the black bar left on each page and go make a signature with year, make and model of camper and tow vehicle so questions have context. You did mention in your initial post but having to go back and refer to it is tiresome. Enjoy your camper!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #24
Casemaker

Keystone is also installing storeinside steps improperly. This makes the door not close properly It is under pressure from hitting the threshold of the step unit. Check this out and if it is an obstruction unscrew the mounting plate and move it I ward about ¼" and reattach. My Keystone Premier had this problem. Easy fix. Good luck.
Casemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:54 AM   #25
claymation

you likely need a longer 'throw' on the deadbolt (which should always be in the locked position when traveling) OR the dead bolt may be able to be adjusted closer to the door jamb. The frame of your trailer door flexes slightly when the trailer is in tow. If the frame racks in just the right way the latch can pull out of the strike plate if the latch is not long enough.
claymation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #26
firestation12

One other possibility

The dead bolt needs to extend fully for it to become non retractable. Check the inside thumb turn for travel with the door opened and closed. Use can use the key from the outside as well to determine if the dead bolt is fully extended and thus locked. Look at the door jamb to see if there is adequate space for the deadbolt to fully enter. Like the others, there’s no logic to why the door would unlock itself while stationary. The suggestion that was made to create a wider space on the latch side, may actually be allowing the deadbolt to fully extend and lock.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #27
Camping family

I had the same issue my problem was two fold.
1. After checking the door closely I found the striker plate was installed backwards. After removing it and installing it correctly I found
2. The latch and dead bolt was not lining up and was not going in enough. My fix was I removed the striker plate and placed a washer behind it and replaced the screws. Since then no more problems.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #28
Tcarter

Leaking around the window at the counter. Mine did the same if the ran is hitting the window the right way. Just a little silicone will fix it.
Tcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:03 PM   #29
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcarter View Post
Leaking around the window at the counter. Mine did the same if the ran is hitting the window the right way. Just a little silicone will fix it.
Or a better option than smearing silicone around the window would be to remove the window & use the proper sealant, butyl or foam tape, & reinstall the window, thereby repairing it properly. In my opinion there's very places that silicone & a rv go together & smearing around windows is definitely not a place for it. There are specific sealants for specific purposes on RVs that work great for their specific design.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:04 AM   #30
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
My last shot in the dark lol but didn’t someone have a problem with the friction hinge deforming the door? Pulling the frame apart?
Yup, me. But I didn't have any latching problems.

I do, however, have the problem of having to shut the door more firmly when the swing-down interior stairs are stowed. I'm going to look at that mounting plate fix.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:17 AM   #31
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgkayusa View Post
Thank you. I am sure there is a fix somewhere. lol
Maybe a Jeep hood latch would work ?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jeep+hood...f=nb_sb_noss_1
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:21 AM   #32
BrooksFam

Another exterior latch option?

https://www.amazon.com/ADrivWell-Fle...dDbGljaz10cnVl
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #33
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
The dead bolt needs to extend fully for it to become non retractable. Check the inside thumb turn for travel with the door opened and closed. Use can use the key from the outside as well to determine if the dead bolt is fully extended and thus locked. Look at the door jamb to see if there is adequate space for the deadbolt to fully enter. Like the others, there’s no logic to why the door would unlock itself while stationary. The suggestion that was made to create a wider space on the latch side, may actually be allowing the deadbolt to fully extend and lock.
Yup, this is the only reason I can imagine why a deadbolt would unlock itself during travel: it wasn't fully extended and therefore didn't really lock.

Open the door, insert the key, turn it enough to get the deadbolt only half deployed, then turn the key back and remove it. You'l find you can push the tongue in with your finger, and the door flies open in travel. You thought you locked the door, but you didn't.

With the door open, turn the key until you can no longer push the tongue back with your finger. Note the orientation of the key. If your key can't reach this position when the door is closed, you've found your problem.

In a residence, I'd simply bore the frame hole a little deeper. A trailer requires more finesse. Building out the latch plate might solve it, as it pushes the door a bit further from the frame, but it might give you leaks or stiction problems. You could take an angle grinder gently to the tongue and shave off a hair.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:10 PM   #34
merchjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post

My Premier had this problem, the deadbolt would not full extend because it was hitting the alum frame of the wall. I had to put a small notch in the alum frame to allow the dead bolt to fully extend. It a must to check to see if dead bolt full extends.
merchjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #35
wiredgeorge

The OP has not been on this board since 2/8 so comments directed at the OP are likely not going to be seen; perhaps the OP is lurking without logging in...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar