Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
Bama Hammer

Best TT Insurance

We are in the process of buying our first TT and have been looking at insurance. What are the best companies out there and is there any specific coverage I should look for?

Passport 2400BH
Bama Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
tgoodwin321

We went with our home/auto provider State Farm. $150/yr. They replaced our entire roof ($6500) for $500 deductible when a tree limb speared it on our second trip ever. No hassle.
Life rich but $$broke as a joke!
tgoodwin321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I would do a search on the forum. This topic has been discussed many, many times extensively. There are lots of good observations that will be helpful to you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin321 View Post
We went with our home/auto provider State Farm. $150/yr. They replaced our entire roof ($6500) for $500 deductible when a tree limb speared it on our second trip ever. No hassle.
We had a very similar experience and pricing with our last trailer and Allstate. Hail storm destroyed the roof, decking, awning, vents, etc . . . . All covered without question.

The truck coverage includes the trailer for any accidents while towing.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:07 AM   #5
notanlines

With our now infamous china bomb incident three years ago, Geico covered every penny, including both new tires. About 9K.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:45 AM   #6
Drydays

Best insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin321 View Post
XX on Tgoodwin Our Sate Farm replaced both axels and a hitch after a paved (non signed ) road ended onto a gravel mess at night. Same deal 500 deductible.
Good luck and travel safe.
Drydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #7
Bisjoe

We are going with them too, (State Farm) but that same amount/year for $250 deductible. They said liability and personal injury are covered by the tow vehicle insurance, so it's just for the trailer if damaged.
Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
sonic2

Comparision of Insurance Coverage

I performed a "search" on this site and a few others. There are many threads for insurance and I researched many sites on the web. I found and read ALOT of useful information. I contacted ten or more companies to compare coverage and cost and I contacted RV dealers to ask who was easy to work with and who was not. What I learned:

1. Each state has different rates for each company
Example: The same coverage with the same RV with the same person can be different depending on where you live; and some companies don't operate in certain states

2. Coverage options vary by company and there are many factors: age of RV, type of RV, original owner or not, driving record, location and claims from your area you live to name a few. Then there is the type of cover you want?
Examples of Options: Full Timers coverage, Full Replacement coverage, Agreed Value coverage, Current Value coverage, Storage option, diminishing deductible, Vacation Liability, Road Service and more. Then there is comprehensive and collision coverage and the for others that require the uninsured and underinsured coverage.

3. Service from the carrier is the most important, this I found very useful on the "search" and sites like RipOff.com, other review sites. Some companies have great reviews on service and others have not so good reviews. Call as many of the RV dealers up to 200 miles in your area and ask which insurance companies are good to work with and who is not.

4. Do your research, ask questions, request policy coverage terms prior to making a decision and read them - just because someone says your covered for something doesn't mean you are - if it's not in writing it's not covered OR maybe it's excluded.
Example: I asked a question about a coverage item, I was "told" I was covered for that - I asked for it in writing - after the agent researched they concluded I was not covered for what I questioned. I watch the TV show "American Greed" and one company was selling policies like one aired on the show. They sold a policy with great coverage, but as you read the policy what you are paying for is excluded. It's "your" responsibility to do "your" research and remember "it's your money".

I'm not eligible for Replacement Coverage because with most companies you must insure your RV within 13 months of original purchase of the new RV (I just learned about this coverage) therefore I was not eligible for this coverage.

It does not matter the company I choose, but I did choose where I have a local agent I can speak with at any time; that's important to me. The best coverage for me was this for $450 a year:

Comprehensive: 1000 Deductible
Collision: 1000 Deductible
Diminishing Deductible: YES (25% each year without a claim)
Agreed Value: YES
Personal Effects: 3000 ($100 deductible)
RV Vacation Liability: 500,000
Road Service: YES
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic2 View Post
I performed a "search" on this site and a few others. There are many threads for insurance and I researched many sites on the web. I found and read ALOT of useful information. I contacted ten or more companies to compare coverage and cost and I contacted RV dealers to ask who was easy to work with and who was not. What I learned:

1. Each state has different rates for each company
Example: The same coverage with the same RV with the same person can be different depending on where you live; and some companies don't operate in certain states

2. Coverage options vary by company and their are many factors: age of RV, type of RV, original owner or not, driving record, location and claims from your area you live to name a few.
Examples of Options: Full Timers coverage, Full Replacement coverage, Agreed Value coverage, Current Value coverage, Storage option, diminishing deductible, Vacation Liability, Road Service and more.

3. Service from the carrier is the most important, this I found very useful on the "search" and sites like RipOff.com, other review sites. Some companies have great reviews on service and others have not so good reviews. Call as many of the RV dealers up to 200 miles in your area and ask which insurance companies are good to work with and who is not.

4. Do your research, ask questions, request policy coverage terms prior to making a decision and read them - just because someone says your covered for something doesn't mean you are - if it's not in writing it's not covered OR maybe it's excluded.
Example: I asked a question about a coverage item, I was "told" I was covered for that - I asked for it in writing - after the agent researched they concluded I was not covered for what I questioned. I watch the TV show "American Greed" and one company was selling policies like one aired on the show. They sold a policy with great coverage, but as you read the policy what you are paying for is excluded. It's "your" responsibility to do "your" research and remember "it's your money".

I'm not eligible for Replacement Coverage be you must insure your RV within 13 months of original purchase of the new RV (I just learned about this coverage) therefore I was not eligible for this coverage.

It does not matter the company I choose, but I did choose where I have a local agent I can speak with at any time; that's important to me. The best coverage for me was this for $450 a year:

Comprehensive: 1000 Deductible
Collision: 1000 Deductible
Diminishing Deductible: YES (25% each year without a claim)
Agreed Value: YES
Personal Effects: 3000 ($100 deductible)
RV Vacation Liability: 500,000
Road Service: YES

Unless I missed it, you didn't say what company you went with. Everyone has their preferences based on ?? but I can tell you that after 30+ years with State Farm, and their love for removing coverages/escalating rates/etc. and leaving you in a lurch.....I stopped, and won't do, business with them - 4 homes, 4 cars, RV, umbrella, life, etc. They are too shady for me. Geico has been super and I am so happy I switched. Having had "local" agents for decades I can say they are actually useless IMO.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #10
sonic2

Thank you "Sourdough"!!

Your response was exactly what I wrote. I'm the same as you, but a different companies. I have everything with the same company (umbrella, home, auto's and RV) for over 25 year and one day last year I was priced out of my RV coverage. I still have all my other policies with this company, just not the RV. My agent informed me the company just wasn't wanting to be competitive anymore for RV's. He assisted me in finding another company. I have a great agent. This is when I began to learn about different RV coverage's and companies.

6 months ago I received a letter from my main insurance company informing me they are making many changes in the structure of the company and how policies are determined. This month I received a $1000 decrease in premiums and I received a call from my agent informing me the company is getting back into the RV business and being competitive. Yes, I said give me a quote and we'll go from there.

In regards to the company I'm with, I didn't say. But, I will tell you this. Where I live, most people have State Farm, American Family, or Progressive coverage for their RV's. Safeco, Traveler's, Geico and Nationwide is available and some have this coverage.

PS: Do you remember Bruce Williams on the radio? I listened to him a lot!
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic2 View Post
Thank you "Sourdough"!!

Your response was exactly what I wrote. I'm the same as you, but a different companies. I have everything with the same company (umbrella, home, auto's and RV) for over 25 year and one day last year I was priced out of my RV coverage. I still have all my other policies with this company, just not the RV. My agent informed me the company just wasn't wanting to be competitive anymore for RV's. He assisted me in finding another company. I have a great agent. This is when I began to learn about different RV coverage's and companies.

6 months ago I received a letter from my main insurance company informing me they are making many changes in the structure of the company and how policies are determined. This month I received a $1000 decrease in premiums and I received a call from my agent informing me the company is getting back into the RV business and being competitive. Yes, I said give me a quote and we'll go from there.

In regards to the company I'm with, I didn't say. But, I will tell you this. Where I live, most people have State Farm, American Family, or Progressive coverage for their RV's. Safeco, Traveler's, Geico and Nationwide is available and some have this coverage.

PS: Do you remember Bruce Williams on the radio? I listened to him a lot!

Yes I know Bruce Williams. Hopefully all your (our) insurance issues will work out going forward.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:56 AM   #12
Drydays

best tt insur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisjoe View Post
We are going with them too, (State Farm) but that same amount/year for $250 deductible. They said liability and personal injury are covered by the tow vehicle insurance, so it's just for the trailer if damaged.
We have been with State Farm for over 56 years and have always had decent deals with them, and yes ,, tow and trailer are separate.
Good luck and drive safe, have a great fall.
Chuck
Drydays is offline   Reply With Quote