Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
Klaliberte

Dewinterizing Keystone Laredo 280 RB

Hey everyone. Newbie here with a question about our recently purchased 2018 Keystone Laredo 280 RB (which we absolutely love).

Just wondering what the steps/process is for dewinterizing (flushing the antifreeze out of the water lines).

Is it as simple as hooking up water and turning on the taps until the antifreeze is gone or is there more to it than that. Owner's manual wasn't specific with respect to this task.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Kevin, Alberta, Canada
Klaliberte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaliberte View Post
Hey everyone. Newbie here with a question about our recently purchased 2018 Keystone Laredo 280 RB (which we absolutely love).

Just wondering what the steps/process is for dewinterizing (flushing the antifreeze out of the water lines).

Is it as simple as hooking up water and turning on the taps until the antifreeze is gone or is there more to it than that. Owner's manual wasn't specific with respect to this task.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Kevin, Alberta, Canada
Pretty much. You will want to run the pump to clear all antifreeze from the lines. Make sure that you turn the HWH bypass off so the tank will fill and the plug is in the tank.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
tech740

I put water in the tank and flush with the pump. Then some through the city connection. That way I can test for leaks while I am using tank water. The pump will start if there is a pressure drop. Then sanitize the fresh tank. I usually leave the plug out of the water heater and flush that out a bit too. Then put the plug back in and put everything to the normal mode.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
Dave DC

1st make sure no water is goin into ur hot water tank. U dont want any antifreeze in there.. then fill up ur fresh water tank 1st and turn ur water pump on to run all of the antifreez out of all the faucets, shower, toilet, and dont forget the outside shower. Then i turn the pump off and drain whatevers left in the fresh water tank. I then hook up the hose to the city water and do the exact same thing to all of the faucets, shower, etc..once all the anitfreez is gone u can now open the bypass to allow water into ur hot water tank. I just dewinterized my travel trailer for the 1st time last week and it went great. I would never waste money to have it done. I would recommend u lookin at alot of dewinterizing videos on youtube tho. Thats what i did and i felt so informed and knew exactly what to do. Good luck bud. Just take ur time and write down ur steps b4 u do it. Main thing is make sure u turn ur valve on the pump so the water is goin towards the water lines thru the camper other wise the water will go thru that little hose that u used for the antifreez when u winterized it.
Dave DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:20 AM   #5
lawdog130

As Dave DC mentioned in his first sentence, flush everything first then open the hot water bypass valve. I got ahead of myself last spring and opened the bypass valve first and the hot water tank filled with antifreeze. It took forever to flush it all out and even at the end of the camping season I would occasionally notice a faint smell the antifreeze when running the hot water. I always use city water and have never filled the fresh water tank so I just hook up a hose with a pressure regulator and work my way around the camper opening all the sink and shower valves, then the toilet until the water runs clear. After that I empty the gray water tank.

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
lawdog130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:26 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Not yet mentioned is after flushing all the lines, open the low point drains and let "that last bit of antifreeze" out.... Years ago we kept smelling/tasting antifreeze well into the summer camping season. I finally found that "pink stuff" living without dilution, in both of the low point drains. Flushed them and the "offending taste" was gone. It's the same with the washer plumbing (if you have it and don't have a washer/dryer). There's just enough "venture effect" to bring enough antifreeze into the plumbing to make sure you know it's still there......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:33 AM   #7
Klaliberte

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I tackled the project yesterday and will be draining the low point drains today as the final step in the process.
Klaliberte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, laredo, winter, winterizing