Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2015, 07:32 AM   #1
arniez

Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch

When we purchased our travel trailer about 4 months ago, I asked the dealer what the easiest hitch would be for me since I am getting on in age. He recommended the Andersen Hitch. I wanted to give everyone, especially people thinking of buying a trailer, some insight about the hitch.

The hitch ball assembly is much lighter than the normal ball. I can actually pick it up in one hand, although you still need two hands to get it into the receptacle on the tow vehicle. The heavy bars have been replaced with heavy duty chains which act as weight distribution and sway control. Unhooking the system at the campground is a bit of a chore, but not that bad. So far so good.

The problem comes when trying to hitch up. The chains are attached to a metal triangle with a round part that fits under the hitch ball. Then a metal bar is inserted to hold it all in place. Lining up the holes to insert the metal bar is VERY difficult. If it is not aligned EXACTLY, the bar will not go in. You have to then loosen the chains to maneuver the triangle to get the holes aligned. Then retighten the chains to keep the system working properly.

In my humble opinion, the problems hooking up outweigh the other benefits. I am actually thinking of asking the dealer to replace this hitch with the old style.
arniez is offline   Reply With Quote