Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2023, 07:39 PM   #1
KeystoneJeff

New to Full-time Camping

My wife and I relocated from Missouri to the Chattanooga area. Because of the popularity of the area and how crazy the housing market is here, my wife and I decided to camp full-time instead. So we bought a 2005 Keystone Montana hoping other people would help us learn the ropes. Well, folks are busy living their lives so I have been searching for online assistance. My immediate problem is it smells and feels like I am living on top of an outhouse. So that is why I am here.
KeystoneJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:45 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Sorry it’s not under better circumstances, but let’s see if we can’t get you smelling roses. Do you use any holding tank chemicals, does it smell all the time or under certain conditions?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:58 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

The basics of what you are doing needs to be explained. What was done in the past, if you have any idea, would be beneficial as well. You're dealing with an 18 year old trailer that if not cared for in its previous life could be "fun" to fix.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:03 AM   #4
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Hey Jeff, before you go any further with your posts, help yourself out now by creating a signature with info about your RV and Tow Vehicle (TV). Just trying to help.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:25 AM   #5
jsb5717

Welcome aboard! Sorry you have to start out on such stinky circumstances.

I think the first thing I would do with smells like that is do a good purge of the holding tanks...especially the black tank. Chances are good that the previous owner didn't understand how to properly flush the tanks so you could easily have an old poopoo pile in there.

Get some good RV toilet chemicals...there are several on the market. You could also use Dawn Liquid for the first purge but the chems are best. I use the TST bags. Put about 20 gallons of water in the black tank along with 3 or 4 of the TST bags. Also put some liquid Gray Tank chemicals down your kitchen and shower sinks with a few gallons of water. Let it all set for a day or so. Then take the trailer for a ride and give it a good slosh for at least 1/2 hour. Then dump the tanks. Repeat as necessary.

Also look up under the kitchen and bathroom sinks for in-line vents. You may or may not have them depending on how the trailer is plumbed. But if you do have them they can be a source for nasty gray tank smells. They do wear out and are replaceable. Below is a link to the kind I used.

The key to keeping Black Tank smells down is making sure that you always use the chemicals in the tank and then make sure there is plenty of water in there before dumping the tank. A lot of water is your friend to make sure everything flushes out.

Anyway, if my trailer smelled like an outhouse (and I bought one once that did) then that's what I'd do first. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:30 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Just sayin… I was given a bucket of gel packs. Put 2 in on Friday afternoon and when I dumped on Sunday they were still intact. I only use liquids, YMMV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:10 AM   #7
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Just sayin… I was given a bucket of gel packs. Put 2 in on Friday afternoon and when I dumped on Sunday they were still intact. I only use liquids, YMMV.
Ha, yeah, I don't know all of the good ones and bad ones on the market. The liquids can be a good bet but who knows how effective they really are. I'm sure some of them work great. You're in the business so you must have one that you feel does a good job.

I've used several liquid and dissolvable products over the years. I've had good success with the TST pouches but they can sometimes (though rarely) fall apart before you use them. I've never had one stay intact in the tank.

I guess as long as the product manages odor and breaks down solids then it's doing its job. The OP needs to find one that works and get those tanks clean.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:16 AM   #8
dutchmensport

First things first. ....

Turn the water off from your camper. Now, go to the bathroom, push the peddle on the toilet and let the slide valve open. Use a flashlight and shine it down the hole. What do you see?

If you see a pile of poo sitting there, you have a poop pyramid. If you can see the bottom of the tank and it's pretty clean, then your tank is is good shape. It just needs some good spraying out or some good laundry detergent and / or bleach water to get rid of the smells.

But first, look down that hole. What do you see? THAT where you start!
Old 02-24-2023, 08:24 AM   #9
travelin texans

I've found that liquid dish or laundry soap & fabric softener, I bought the cheap stuff at the dollar store, works as well as most of the much higher priced so called tank treatments. Add a couple gallons of water along with about a 1/4-1/2 cup of each to the black tank after dumping/rinsing.
If you wash a lot of food particles down the kitchen sink that grey tank oft times smells as bad or worse than the black, some sort of odor control might be needed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:38 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneJeff View Post
My wife and I relocated from Missouri to the Chattanooga area. Because of the popularity of the area and how crazy the housing market is here, my wife and I decided to camp full-time instead. So we bought a 2005 Keystone Montana hoping other people would help us learn the ropes. Well, folks are busy living their lives so I have been searching for online assistance. My immediate problem is it smells and feels like I am living on top of an outhouse. So that is why I am here.
Jeff, I have never been around fellow campers who didn't wish to share tips and help. Since you can't find a local camper to help you make the transition to full timing, perhaps get to know folks a bit more and I am sure someone will step forward. Lots of suggestions for the smell issue so far so take a look at these but in the long run, you will be farther ahead if you can get someone who knows their way around campers to go through all the pitfalls and snags you will sure run into. Folks failed to ask it you have been leaving your gate valves open and I personally would start with that question.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:53 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I've found that liquid dish or laundry soap & fabric softener, I bought the cheap stuff at the dollar store, works as well as most of the much higher priced so called tank treatments. Add a couple gallons of water along with about a 1/4-1/2 cup of each to the black tank after dumping/rinsing.
If you wash a lot of food particles down the kitchen sink that grey tank oft times smells as bad or worse than the black, some sort of odor control might be needed.
As Dutch mentioned the dreaded "poop pyramid" from leaving the black tank valve open when connected to sewer, fluid drains away leaving a paper mache pile made of poop & tp. If by chance the previous owner has blessed you with this it's a s####y mess to get broke up & drained out. The best option is one of the swizzle sticks designed for this or an old piece of hose down through the toilet to get broke up & drained away.
The other concern is if it's a Dometic 300, they've had a recall on those due the base leaking causes odors, but I doubt it covers 2nd or more owners. I'd recommend replacing it with a Dometic 310 (round bowl) or 320 (elongated bowl) in the tall version. And if by chance it's a POS Thetford toilet just replace it with one of the Dometics mentioned.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:34 AM   #12
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:39 AM   #13
LHaven

If you have a pyramid, and you're not a do-it-yourselfer (or you are, but you draw the line there!), there are professional "sanitizers" who will perform the moral equivalent of a powerwash of the tank for you. Many dealers offer the same service, but they just sub it out to one of the pros and then charge you a surcharge.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:32 AM   #14
CedarCreekWoody

It appears you posted once, asked for help, and then never returned. You are going to have to join the conversation too get useful advice.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:28 AM   #15
notanlines

He’s gone.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 06:13 AM   #16
Rangerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Additionally, the gel packs do not totally dissolve, and you can end up with the wrapper fouling your macerator. I only use the liquid now.

Johnnie, Suzanne and Dixie Blue
2018 336fbok Jayco
2011 3500 Ram DRW 6.7 Cummins
Rangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:55 AM   #17
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
He’s gone.
I thought this line was kinda funny from the beginning: "my wife and I decided to camp full-time".
Never heard "full timing" being described that way.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 09:10 AM   #18
LG123

Welcome to full-timing! The learning curve is steep but, I think, rewarding. There has been good advice here about reducing the smell and there are also some youtube videos you can consult. Best of luck

2019 Ford Expedition Max Platinum

2022 Springdale 251BH
LG123 is offline   Reply With Quote