Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #61
Bandit12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Is anyone using this system and if so are you happy with it?

TireMinder i10 RV TPMS with 4 Transmitters https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
Yes I'm using it and so far I'm happy with it. We just got home from a 1K mile trip and the only issue I've ever had, was on this trip. I gotta believe it gave me a false alarm. I checked tire pressure before we left and once the sensors sync'd to the monitor and updated, they were within a pound of what I set the pressures to with a digital pressure gauge. We rolled out for the 1st leg, and after 200 miles stopped for the night. As we pulled into the campground, I got a slow leak warning on the right front trailer tire. I was watching the pressure it only dropped to within of cold pressure. We got set up in our site, I raised that wheel, rotated the tire, inspected it carefully, found no visible damage or leaks. Checked pressure and it was still within acceptable range again using my digital pressure gauge. We completed the remainder of the trip without any other alerts.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:34 PM   #62
travelin texans

This is one of those topics that will never end.
Personally I would/have/will continue to just inflate to the placard or the sidewall if I've upgraded to a higher load range.
The process of weighing & trying to cipher percentages for proper inflation is too much headache for me. If the weights indicate inflate to 70 psi & max is 80 psi I seriously doubt you'll notice any difference towing it with the extra 10 lbs.
Most every rver will be at or very near the max GVWR of their rv after they've used it several times so inflation to max is the easiest simplest inflation & your set for the day you reach the max gross weight. Legally no one is allowed to ride in a towable while traveling so there's no one to complain if the ride is a bit harsh.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:14 AM   #63
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
Yes I'm using it and so far I'm happy with it. We just got home from a 1K mile trip and the only issue I've ever had, was on this trip. I gotta believe it gave me a false alarm. I checked tire pressure before we left and once the sensors sync'd to the monitor and updated, they were within a pound of what I set the pressures to with a digital pressure gauge. We rolled out for the 1st leg, and after 200 miles stopped for the night. As we pulled into the campground, I got a slow leak warning on the right front trailer tire. I was watching the pressure it only dropped to within of cold pressure. We got set up in our site, I raised that wheel, rotated the tire, inspected it carefully, found no visible damage or leaks. Checked pressure and it was still within acceptable range again using my digital pressure gauge. We completed the remainder of the trip without any other alerts.
Thanks. I've had that happen with the old TPMS it would happen after a long pull when the tires got heated up good and pressures were high then stopping somewhere or lunch on a cool day and the tires cooling off quickly.
I got the the I10 unit a few days ago and I finished my repairs from the blown up tire damage yesterday and put the new Saliun S637 tires on and added the sensors. I liked the ease of programming the unit. I backed one off and within 5 seconds it alerted me . I wish I had had went with the 6 sensor option though, I could have put sensors on my under carriage spare and the spare I carry in the truck on long trips to monitor them also. Debating on whether I want to spend $80 to buy 2 more sensors.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:24 AM   #64
ChuckS

The TST 507 series will detect "Loss of tire" and alert you with warnings... If you leave the display turned on and drive away from the RV mine alerts showing all four tire air pressures blinking and audible alarm..

Good system so far now for over eight years. Did just spend a few bucks and ordered the newer color display to replace the original monochrome one .. it should be a tad easier to read in the bright sun than then original unit

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:48 AM   #65
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The TST 507 series will detect "Loss of tire" and alert you with warnings... If you leave the display turned on and drive away from the RV mine alerts showing all four tire air pressures blinking and audible alarm..

Good system so far now for over eight years. Did just spend a few bucks and ordered the newer color display to replace the original monochrome one .. it should be a tad easier to read in the bright sun than then original unit

Chuck I also upgraded to the color monitor vs the original monochrome. Another thing I added was the little slide on screen cover. The cover helped me see that screen much better than without it so you might check into it if you haven't already.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #66
whiteGIANT510

Yes tires just blow up but sometimes is less exciting. I used to van life in my 74 Winnie wagon and I got up early to go to work. This happened during a short time I had a warehouse that I rented and lived in. I went out to warm up the engine and check the fluids. I went inside to grab a shower when I came out 15 mins later all my tires were flat. It was winter in California soit was about 40° when I went inside to shower and when I came out it was already 48° it blew out the sidewalls. I have no idea how old those tires were. They were so old they didn't have date codes. They started date codes in the early 90s.
whiteGIANT510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:36 PM   #67
wiredgeorge

Well, I can assure that a tire can blow up for no apparent reason. LT275/70R18 Americus Commercial date code 3518. Truck was shaking a bit. Thought drive shaft. If any of you ever drove a bit heavy truck (I used to drive fire trucks) that sat for a long time and got a flat spot, well drive shaft or flat spot feeling.

Couldn't see anything wrong but decided to take my clunker over to Rio Medina NAPA and let them have a look. Its about 15 miles. Missus following. Truck was shaking even worse. Missus said she saw the left front "flapping" (her words) and I queried why she didn't call me so I could pull over and check. Went to the tire and checked by feeling the inside and there was a definite bulge. Anyway, decided to let that go and went in to the office and BANG! Rubber off the inside of the driver side front blew off; about a foot long x 8 inch hunk. Tire still holds air. Always kept those tires aired properly.

Bought four Cooper Discoverer A/T All-Season LT275/70R18 125S Tires. The old Americus tires no longer had my confidence. I praised the Lord I was able to make it over to the NAPA without a blow out on the road.

Michelins would have been my choice but they are outside what I wanted to spend. I checked Sams Club and the same tires were about $100 more a piece (the Cooopers).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:05 PM   #68
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Well, I can assure that a tire can blow up for no apparent reason. LT275/70R18 Americus Commercial date code 3518. Truck was shaking a bit. Thought drive shaft. If any of you ever drove a bit heavy truck (I used to drive fire trucks) that sat for a long time and got a flat spot, well drive shaft or flat spot feeling.

Couldn't see anything wrong but decided to take my clunker over to Rio Medina NAPA and let them have a look. Its about 15 miles. Missus following. Truck was shaking even worse. Missus said she saw the left front "flapping" (her words) and I queried why she didn't call me so I could pull over and check. Went to the tire and checked by feeling the inside and there was a definite bulge. Anyway, decided to let that go and went in to the office and BANG! Rubber off the inside of the driver side front blew off; about a foot long x 8 inch hunk. Tire still holds air. Always kept those tires aired properly.

Bought four Cooper Discoverer A/T All-Season LT275/70R18 125S Tires. The old Americus tires no longer had my confidence. I praised the Lord I was able to make it over to the NAPA without a blow out on the road.

Michelins would have been my choice but they are outside what I wanted to spend. I checked Sams Club and the same tires were about $100 more a piece (the Cooopers).

Well there clearly was a reason for the failure as tires are not Magic. I do not understand what you mean by "blow up for no apparent reason" If you are saying you do not understand the different technical reasons for a tire to fail I guess I can understand that but as a minimum you should read and try and understand the information in THIS post as it covers the two main reasons for a tire to fail.
When a tire fails you should make at least a minimal effort to understand the "Why" otherwise the actions you take may not prevent another failure.

Think about getting in a car or truck and turning the key and the vehicle doesn't start. Would you simply replace the battery without confirming the reason it didn't start was because the battery didn't have enough charge? What if you were out of gas? would replacing the starter motor "fix that problem? Of course not. You may not have thought about it but you already approach "Problem Solving" in a logical manner.
Tire failures should be approached in the same way.

The vibration you felt was a significant hint that the tire was in the process of coming apart. Tires simply do not go from having a 100% solid construction to having the components such as the steel belts separate the next instant.

Here is a more detailed post on why tires might fail.

Here is a story of a tire inspection I did on a tire that was in the process of coming apart. As you can see there were a number of warning symptoms. Some were similar to the symptoms you experienced but failed to understand or act upon. Luckily you were not driving your truck with a significant load at speed when the front tire finally came apart. That could have been serious.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:44 PM   #69
wiredgeorge

I had driven the truck with significant load in the bed (750 lbs of blast media) the week before and noticed a bit of vibration but not alarming. Then Saturday I went to the True Value about 7 miles away and had about 500 lbs of water softener salt bags and the vibration was significantly more pronounced. I had crawled under and check out the drive shaft as that was the most likely culprit to my thinking and never noticed the tire. I drove about 15 miles to the NAPA and the shaking was really bad and I was relieved to get it there. The tire blew about 1 minute after arrival.

I will have them install the spare and take the truck over to the Walmart and have four new Cooper tires installed. Will read the links tomorrow as it is past my bedtime... thanks. wg
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:50 AM   #70
RickV

Yesterday I finally got around to putting the new spare tire in the carrier. I got to thinking about how tight I should have it pulled up against the holder thing. I remembered the installer at the tire store telling me when I got my new tires that the spare which i had put on after the blow up and only had about 300 total miles on it had started to separate on the inside. Looking at the holder there are two flat stops on either side of the little winch that press on the sidewall and so now i am wondering if that could have caused the spare to start separating. I don't want it loose where the tire can move, just trying to figure out how tight I should make it against the stops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	39502  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:50 AM   #71
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Yesterday I finally got around to putting the new spare tire in the carrier. I got to thinking about how tight I should have it pulled up against the holder thing. I remembered the installer at the tire store telling me when I got my new tires that the spare which i had put on after the blow up and only had about 300 total miles on it had started to separate on the inside. Looking at the holder there are two flat stops on either side of the little winch that press on the sidewall and so now i am wondering if that could have caused the spare to start separating. I don't want it loose where the tire can move, just trying to figure out how tight I should make it against the stops.

Couple of questions:
1. The spare that "appeared" to have separation. How old was it? Where had it been stored? Do you have any pictures showing the separation? If you had filed a complaint with NHTSA they would have needed both the full DOT and a picture of the "failure". Was the failure bubble also visible on the outside?

2. In the picture of the new spare up under the RV it looks like the wheel has an offset so the wheel is up and contacting the mount? Many pickups have their spare mounted under the bed with the tire sidewall hard against frame cross member. While this can leave an ugly "dent" in the tire sidewall I have not seen a tire fail because of the "dent"
Old 05-01-2022, 09:09 AM   #72
CWtheMan

[QUOTE=markcee;495846]This subject of 'how much PSI should I run?' comes up frequently and is often confusing to me due to the breadth and scope of the answers. As I would venture many (most?) people with towables likely only know their total loaded weight - not per wheel or per axle, here is a simple question for Tireman:

If all I know is my trailer weighs a total of 8500 lbs fully loaded for camping, which is 1000 under GVWR, and my tires (per sidewall) are rated at 80PSI, and my trailer's placard also lists 80PSI.....

What should I inflate to?

80 PSI!
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:13 AM   #73
Tireman9

If people do not want to know the technically correct way to learn the Minimum pressure and the Suggested inflation then simply follow the certification label inflation.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:44 AM   #74
CWtheMan

RV trailers are built under the guidance of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). When the trailer leaves the factory the manufacturer must provide a certification label that all safety standards have been met.

Within the safety standards there are provisions that require the trailer manufacturer to select tires/wheels. For RV trailers the standard says that the tires/wheels must support the maximum weight of the vehicle certified GAWR axles. The standards direct the trailer manufacturer to set a recommended cold Inflation pressure for those tires that is appropriate for the GAWRs. That final manufacturer recommended inflation pressure is displayed on the vehicle certification label and is the minimum inflation pressure for those tires.

Inflating tires to the load carried defeats having load capacity reserves. The trucking industries have their own tire regulations and inflate to the load carried at the heaviest end of an axle. The results can be seen throughout the USA with big black “gators” littering our highways.

Whenever going to a higher load capacity tire of the same designated size, options become available. The options are to use any cold inflation pressure between what is recommended and tire sidewall MAX. Of course safety steps must be taken. The wheels and valve stems MUST have the capacity to support the increased inflation pressures.

Whenever going to approved “plus sized” tires there are a hand full of steps that must be taken to ensure the plus sized tires have a recommended cold inflation pressure that will, - at the minimum – support the load capacity the OE tires provided.

Do tires that have never been on the ground “blow-up” while mounted as a spare on a trailer rack? Yes, and I’ve never seen a valid answer as to why.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires