Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2020, 04:26 AM   #61
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Bottom line: In the tire standards, rules, regulations world, only the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier have the authority for size/design/options changes.
Sort of like saying, "You have to like vanilla ice cream because the standards, rules, regulations say so"....

No thanks, I'm more a butter pecan fan, so as for the "you don't have permission" mantra.... well, Maybe I need to start saying "I'm from Texas"

I can't begin to count the number of jacked up, big tire trucks, CJ-5's and even Toyota trucks that violate every "you aren't authorized to...." in the books and every Michigan trooper just glances up as they "rumble by".... I suppose they're waiting in those blue SUV's with the red light on top, just for that unsuspecting travel trailer owner with 225's instead of 215's on his Cougar.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:39 AM   #62
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sort of like saying, "You have to like vanilla ice cream because the standards, rules, regulations say so"....

No thanks, I'm more a butter pecan fan, so as for the "you don't have permission" mantra.... well, Maybe I need to start saying "I'm from Texas"

I can't begin to count the number of jacked up, big tire trucks, CJ-5's and even Toyota trucks that violate every "you aren't authorized to...." in the books and every Michigan trooper just glances up as they "rumble by".... I suppose they're waiting in those blue SUV's with the red light on top, just for that unsuspecting travel trailer owner with 225's instead of 215's on his Cougar.....
Now that is funny!
Old 12-22-2020, 05:35 AM   #63
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I've always been forthright in my tire presentations about tires in this forum. I do that by often saying I'm writing from the point of view of how its supposed to be done, in accordance with established tire rules, regulations and tire industry standards.

So lets go on another tack. Let's say you drive into a well known tire retailer's place of business with your every day car of SUV. Regardless what manufacturer built your every day wheels the retailer is going to have a computerized listing for replacement tires approved by the vehicle manufacturer. They will also have pre-approved listings for plus sizing your OE tires and the procedure for changing designs from "P" to "LT". THERE ARE NO SUCH LISTINGS OR LIKE PROCEDURES FOR RV TRAILER TIRES. The retailer MUST rely on recommendations or options provided by the trailer manufacturer.

I've provided references from the sources of the information I've used in the posts you're unsatisfied with. Show me errors I've made based what you find in any of the references that is contradictory from my presentation and I'll retract my statement with an apology.

The words law and brand are not found anywhere in FMVSS. However, law may be found in CFR documents about tire safety.
Back before I had knowledge I've gained from this site, I initially wanted to put LT tires on the trailer. When approached, the tire dealer flatly refused when he learned the TT was originally outfitted with ST. He recommended several brands he stocked. I came back to the forum, posed questions, and ended up with Carlisles up a load range. When the time came to replace the tires on my new TT I once again consulted the forum knowledge and experience and remained with Carlisle. I now knew better than to even attempt to make my initial request, and why. Thank you.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:30 AM   #64
CWtheMan

Quote:

I can't begin to count the number of jacked up, big tire trucks, CJ-5's and even Toyota trucks that violate every "you aren't authorized to...." in the books and every Michigan trooper just glances up as they "rumble by".... I suppose they're waiting in those blue SUV's with the red light on top, just for that unsuspecting travel trailer owner with 225's instead of 215's on his Cougar.....CFR 570.9 or .62 apply.
How do you know they haven't been altered and certified by someone authorized to do such alterations?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/567.7
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #65
Javi

Quote:
Bottom line: In the tire standards, rules, regulations world, only the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier have the authority for size/design/options changes.
Don't pull that tag off the mattress neither...
Old 12-22-2020, 08:59 AM   #66
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Don't pull that tag off the mattress neither...

Dang Javi! You had to bring that up....but glad you did! Susan is rummaging around in the garbage as I type looking for that blasted thing I cut off and pitched out. I've been paranoid since you posted, watching every golf cart going by looking for the mattress police....and NOW - a chopper is flying overhead! What have I done...what have I done??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #67
flybouy
Site Team

This horse has not only been beaten to death but there's nothing left for the buzzards to pick over and the hyenas are dragging the bones away.

Personally I've always erred in the "more is better" camp when it comes to capacity or safety measures. So in my feeble thinking if the next size larger tires fit and exceed the original size tire capacity where is the harm. I always chuckled when Chef Justin Wilson would say " I'm a safety engineer, I wear a belt and suspenders". Loved to watch that man, may he rest in peace.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #68
ChuckS

Lots of great reads with the series of tire installments... Amazed at the amount of regs and such out there regarding tires

In my case with my 2014 Alpine it came with TK ST235/80x16 E rated 10 ply tires.

The very next year the same model Alpine came with ST235/80x16 G rated 14 ply tires.. Same specs weight wise within 200lbs of my model and exact same wheels.. same 7K axles, same suspension

I replaced the TK E rated tires with ST 235/85x16 G rated 14 ply tires for the extra load capacity.. And yes of course the OEM wheels are stamped 110psi

When the time comes to replace Ill stay with the larger tire for load capacity headroom.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #69
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
How do you know they haven't been altered and certified by someone authorized to do such alterations?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/567.7
Come on now, do you really, REALLY believe a high school junior working at McD's to buy gas, while Dad is paying the insurance for the F150 the kid bought from "Farmer Jim, in the next town over" has the money, interest and "forward thought" to spend money to have their big tires "certified by someone authorized to do such alterations" ????

If you do, I just lost almost all the respect I had for your "posting authority".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #70
Javi

Quote:
Come on now, do you really, REALLY believe a high school junior working at McD's to buy gas, while Dad is paying the insurance for the F150 the kid bought from "Farmer Jim, in the next town over" has the money, interest and "forward thought" to spend money to have their big tires "certified by someone authorized to do such alterations" ????

If you do, I just lost almost all the respect I had for your "posting authority".....
Ain't no self respecting Texas boy gonna ask permission no way
Old 12-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #71
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Ain't no self respecting Texas boy gonna ask permission no way
And the same goes for all that I know around Michigan as well, not to mention all the ones in Louisiana that would "flip a middle finger at anyone who mentioned a certification requirement for tires".... Ain't happening there, here or any place I've ever lived..... More like an "urban legend" or more appropriately a "suburban/country legend"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #72
gearhead

Quote:

That boys Daddy didn't have the interest or forward thought either. I know this Daddy didn't; and don't.
I gave? our son a sweet 1984? 2500 Suburban 4x4 optioned out, even front quad shocks, to drive to school. It looked real good when I bought it from a co-worker, and a couple years later had it painted in a chicken coop (I swear to God) on the other side of town. The son and I was mighty proud of it. Pretty soon he asked why don't we take that far backseat out, we could carry more stuff back there. I'm thinking more cargo capacity wasn't what he had in mind, but OK. He asked if he could put a lift kit on it. Sure, if you're paying for it, and keep the old parts. Next was a set Buckshot Monster Mudders. He would go find a big mud hole to run through on Sunday so he would be cool in the school parking lot Monday. Next was a rebuild on the Turbo 400 transmission.
It almost made sense. We were duck hunting at the time and were driving oilfield roads half under water to get to our spot. Never got stuck.

So all that said, no, I didn't know there was a Federal agency that made me keep the same size tires. Now I know, but I don't care.
What have we let ourselves become?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #73
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Dang Javi! You had to bring that up....but glad you did! Susan is rummaging around in the garbage as I type looking for that blasted thing I cut off and pitched out. I've been paranoid since you posted, watching every golf cart going by looking for the mattress police....and NOW - a chopper is flying overhead! What have I done...what have I done??
Nominated as funniest post of the year.
Thank you! Made my day.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #74
notanlines

As I remember there is only one drawback to duck hunting. There is a small possibility that one might have to actually eat one. I can remember as a kid that the coots (Poland's national game bird) sometimes would follow the boat out to the blind....and then never leave.
I am now afraid to take the new tags off the bottom of our new beach chairs. We have a Florida HP officer in the park and I avoid him like the Covid. I've had my mud flaps measured so I might be legal in Texas, posted 'Roll Tide' stickers so I'm safe in Alabama, and my favorite phrase from Justin Wilson was "I need just a sip of this wine to get the taste of that water outta my mout!" I garonteee!
I should be safe traveling west until I get to New Mexico.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #75
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This horse has not only been beaten to death but there's nothing left for the buzzards to pick over and the hyenas are dragging the bones away.

Personally I've always erred in the "more is better" camp when it comes to capacity or safety measures. So in my feeble thinking if the next size larger tires fit and exceed the original size tire capacity where is the harm. I always chuckled when Chef Justin Wilson would say " I'm a safety engineer, I wear a belt and suspenders". Loved to watch that man, may he rest in peace.
I loved him too.
You know he really was a Safety Engineer?
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #76
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
As I remember there is only one drawback to duck hunting. There is a small possibility that one might have to actually eat one. I can remember as a kid that the coots (Poland's national game bird) sometimes would follow the boat out to the blind....and then never leave.
I am now afraid to take the new tags off the bottom of out new beach chairs. We have a Florida HP officer in the ark and I avoid him like the Covid. I've had my mud flaps measured so I might be legal in Texas, posted 'Roll Tide' stickers so I'm safe in Alabama, and my favorite phrase from Justin Wilson was "I need just a sip of this wine to get the taste of that water outta my mout!" I garonteee!
I should be safe traveling west until I get to New Mexico.
Polands national game bird. Good one.
Pool doos are eaten by some folks. To quote one:
Day eats pretty good. Jest cook dem down like u do wit da pelican an da seagul's.
Ducks equaled gumbo at my house.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #77
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I loved him too.
You know he really was a Safety Engineer?
I've heard that before. Yes, he was an legend in my mind. But back to tires, when I had my 1972 Gran Torino Sport I had F70's on the front and F60's on the back. There were a couple of traffic laws tha I may of broken (some more than once) But had no idea changing tires was on the list!
Old 12-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #78
gearhead

That was a decent looking car. My Mom had one. Metallic gold with a white vinyl top and white interior. May have had a 351 in it. I was out and on my own by then.
I think Justin Wilson was like Minnie Pearl. Smart enough to act dumb and make a very good living.
We have several of his recipe books. Only issue we found was his courtbouillon recipe called for like 8 quarts of water. Took us hours to "cook that down".
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #79
gearhead

Hey CW, hang with us. We're making fun of the issue that we have our own government wasting money like this.
I appreciate your input.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #80
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
That was a decent looking car. My Mom had one. Metallic gold with a white vinyl top and white interior. May have had a 351 in it. I was out and on my own by then.
I think Justin Wilson was like Minnie Pearl. Smart enough to act dumb and make a very good living.
We have several of his recipe books. Only issue we found was his courtbouillon recipe called for like 8 quarts of water. Took us hours to "cook that down".
Mine was a 351 Cleveland 4 bbl with shaker hood scoop. Was yellow (I think they called it gold) with goldish/brown interior. I found a set Boss heads and installed headers with straight side pipes. I wasn't exactly "incognito"when I busted a few radar traps.

Tags
tires