Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2023, 10:01 AM   #1
DonP

Campgrounds Atlanta/Decatur, GA

We will be taking an extended trip in May. Mt. Rushmore, Omaha, Indiana, Nashville and Georgia. We're staying at a KOA at Rushmore and Nashville, friends in Omaha and Indiana. I'm trying to find a nice full hookup campground close to Decatur, GA. The closest KOA is almost 2 hours away. We're visiting our daughter in Decatur so I'd like not to waste 4 hours a day driving back and forth. She lives in an apartment so we can't mooch like we are in Indiana.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:32 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
We will be taking an extended trip in May. Mt. Rushmore, Omaha, Indiana, Nashville and Georgia. We're staying at a KOA at Rushmore and Nashville, friends in Omaha and Indiana. I'm trying to find a nice full hookup campground close to Decatur, GA. The closest KOA is almost 2 hours away. We're visiting our daughter in Decatur so I'd like not to waste 4 hours a day driving back and forth. She lives in an apartment so we can't mooch like we are in Indiana.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
There's probably several privately owned rv parks in that area, KOAs are not the only suitable ones. Just Google rv parks near wherever you want to be then check the reviews. KOAs were typically our last resort as they're usually quite a bit more expensive than others & a good many are full of weekend warriors all weekend.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:49 AM   #3
jxnbbl

When we are in that area to visit family we stay at the Stone Mountain (3 times) it is probably a 20 minute drive from where you want to be.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:36 AM   #4
DonP

Thank you, that is one of the places I'm also looking at. Nice to know it's both close and nice. Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:28 AM   #5
jxnbbl

Quote:
Thank you, that is one of the places I'm also looking at. Nice to know it's both close and nice. Thanks again.

Just a quick word of advice. The first time we stayed there we had a Bullet 273BH and stayed in a "red site" due to availability and the fact that we are just parking it for most of the time. We are pretty good at backing/parking the camper, but the sites in the 'red' can be challenging and I'm not sure our 330BH would be able to park at the site we got. (291). Although the map makes it look like its on the water the steep bank, etc...it really isn't and I think I had to use all out blocks to get the trailer level.

the second stay I paid a few more dollars for the "orange sites" and those are all doable with the larger trailer. (site 138) To us we would only go for those or the "purple sites" in the future.

Good luck
Old 02-02-2023, 12:01 PM   #6
DonP

We will be in a "Green" site. I hope this is ok because I'm pretty good at backing but not an expert. Thanks for the update. We are ion #225.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:43 PM   #7
jxnbbl

Quote:
We will be in a "Green" site. I hope this is ok because I'm pretty good at backing but not an expert. Thanks for the update. We are ion #225.

Yes, that loop is fine too!

Tags
campground