Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2023, 09:34 AM   #1
MISailor

Axle Ratios - Supply Chain Issues

Hi, All.

I'm thinking about replacing my TV and am running into supply chain issues that make an "exact" replacement of my TV essentially impossible. My current TV is a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab equipped with the 5.3L V8 and the trailer package witch adds the 3.42 rear axle, external oil cooler, etc. This has been a very capable set up for my 2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR.

Supply issues at GM make finding a new 1500 with the 3.42 axle essentially impossible (even the 5.3L engine is somewhat rare), and I have not gotten a good answer yet regarding when one will be able to order a vehicle equipped with a 3.42 axle. Check the Chevy inventory nationwide and you'll find a ton of trucks with the 2.7L engine and 3.23 axle. I think I'd be disappointed with one of those. I'm not in a huge hurry so I can wait, and I'm thinking that is the best thing to do but would like someone to validate (or challenge) my thinking on the best axle ratio for my situation.

The 3.23 axle is readily available and would be fine 90+ percent of the time since we do not tow a lot. Regardless, I'm thinking that we should equip the TV for the (minority) time that we do tow, rather than the majority of the time when we don't. The trade off for a more capable TV is accepting lower fuel economy the rest of the time and I can accept that. The 3.73 ratio seems like overkill for our trailer based on good experience with the 3.42, especially considering that I think it would require accepting the 6.2L gas or 3.0L diesel.

The main question is...is the 3.23 axle a non-starter for my situation?

FWIW, I have some financial incentive to stay with GM, so I have not looked into other brands.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle