Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2022, 08:03 AM   #61
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvator View Post
I have original tires from Keystone on a 2017 x lite 26rls I live in Denver and have about 25’000 to 30’000 miles on them. They are on the last 1/3 tread may need to think about replacing before heading to Florida this winter. The tires are Westlake have never had a flat on them. I did have a blowout on my GMC pulling my 5ver in Florida the tire blew out front inside going 55 and it was a Michelin with about 10’000 miles. Replaced the Michelins when I returned home. Not sure what to put on the 5ver but need to replace. Thanks Stan
I believe the tires on your trailer are TK 225 75R15 LRD "china bombs" and IMO, you should consider yourself very lucky that you haven't had a tire incident with almost 6 years and 30,000 miles on them !!!!! You might consider buying a lottery ticket with that kind of luck !!!!!

Now, the two "most respected on this forum" brands in the size tire you need are Goodyear Endurance (most expensive) and Carlisle Radial Trail HD (most commonly used).

If I were in your shoes (and my trailer is very close to yours in size/weight with the same tire size), I would seriously consider Carlisle RT HD and upgrade from LRD to LRE tires (an extra 290 pounds of capacity per tire for a total of 1160 pounds of "added protection from being overloaded as the tires age".

The most economical place I've found to buy Carlisle RT HD tires is WalMart. You would need to special order them on the website and they'd be delivered "free shipping" to the store. You'd need to either pick them up and go to a tire installer or take the wheels off the trailer for WalMart to change them out. WalMart does not remove/install tires on trailers but will install tires on the wheels if you bring them in for service. Simply put, they don't have a bay big enough for a travel trailer and they won't work on a trailer in the parking lot.

Here's the link to the tires at WalMart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...Rated/55012166 The current price is $112 per tire. I'd recommend you replace all 5 tires at the same time. If you have a Discount Tire store near you, you may be able to get them to "price match" the WalMart price. DT does work on travel trailers in their parking lot at many of their stores, so that may simplify the changeout for you.

At any rate, with 6 year old china bombs with 30,000 miles and 2/3 of the tread gone, I'd change them out before towing another mile...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:31 AM   #62
David49

I have a 2021 32' Keystone Springdale with Hi-Spec E-load rated tires. Any issues with these tires blowing up? Getting ready to take a long trip and looking at spending $800 for new Goodyear tires if needed.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #63
David49

Any word on the E-rated Hi-Spec tires? The ST225/75R15's came with my 2021 32-foot Keystone Springdale. Getting ready to take a long road trip and trying to decide if buying a new set of Goodyear Endurances is worth it at this time. Thanks.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:42 AM   #64
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by David49 View Post
Any word on the E-rated Hi-Spec tires? The ST225/75R15's came with my 2021 32-foot Keystone Springdale. Getting ready to take a long road trip and trying to decide if buying a new set of Goodyear Endurances is worth it at this time. Thanks.
Personally, I’d change them. Hi-Spec has shown a tendency to have some issues. If you’re not confident in them, it’s $800 we’ll spent. While you’re at it, get steel valve stems and a TST 507 TPMS.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:15 AM   #65
travelin texans

Quote:
I have a 2021 32' Keystone Springdale with Hi-Spec E-load rated tires. Any issues with these tires blowing up? Getting ready to take a long trip and looking at spending $800 for new Goodyear tires if needed.
There's post after post of that particular brand of tire blowing up typically with low miles doing $1000s in damage to the rv, so the choice is yours. DO YA FEEL LUCKY? WELL DO YA?
If not dead set on the GY Endurance you'd likely save enough buying Saliun or Carlisle brands, both have just as good a reputation as the GY, to pay for a big chunk of a good TPMS, TST507 is a good'un.
BTW buy 5, get rid of the China bomb spare also. You could possibly sell the HiSpec tires to someone with a utility trailer & recoup a few $$.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:47 AM   #66
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

What model Springdale do you have? Just wondering weight wise vs LRE tires. As for the HiSpec tires I would have them off before I went anywhere with the trailer...too many failures. As has been mentioned there are options to the Endurance which are just as good but cheaper, Carlisle comes to mind. Also be sure and replace all 5. That HiSpec in the spare position might just decide to pop sitting there.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:59 AM   #67
Clair25964

I’ve had my share of problems as well with tires but last year on my way from southern Delaware to the Pocono Mountains in PA I noticed one of my Trailer King tires seemed to be getting hotter as I went, ( they had only several hundred miles on them). I have a 37’ fifth wheel that weighs 13,200 lbs loaded, I had it weighed, so it’s a fairly heavy camper. I ran the tires at 70psi and I check them every time I stop. We’ll this one tire seemed to be getting hotter a hotter as I traveled, on the last stop (before I put the spare on) I noticed it wasn’t holding a flat tread but was ballooning and on closer inspection saw a few steel belts sticking out of the sidewall. We’ll I got to the campground on the spare then took all four wheels and tires (two at a time) down to Jack Williams tire in Scranton PA. We went through a lot of tires he could get me and I settled on these.

Transeagle ST Radial All Steel Heavy Duty Premium Trailer Radial Tire-ST235/85R16 235/85/16 235/85-16 133/128L Load Range H LRH 16-Ply BSW Black Side Wall

They’re Trans Eagle 16 ply H rated and run at 115 lbs, though I run them at 105. Just make sure your wheels are capable of running at that pressure. So far I like them, I’ve got maybe a thousand miles on them.
Clair25964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:42 AM   #68
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair25964 View Post
I’ve had my share of problems as well with tires but last year on my way from southern Delaware to the Pocono Mountains in PA I noticed one of my Trailer King tires seemed to be getting hotter as I went, ( they had only several hundred miles on them). I have a 37’ fifth wheel that weighs 13,200 lbs loaded, I had it weighed, so it’s a fairly heavy camper. I ran the tires at 70psi and I check them every time I stop. We’ll this one tire seemed to be getting hotter a hotter as I traveled, on the last stop (before I put the spare on) I noticed it wasn’t holding a flat tread but was ballooning and on closer inspection saw a few steel belts sticking out of the sidewall. We’ll I got to the campground on the spare then took all four wheels and tires (two at a time) down to Jack Williams tire in Scranton PA. We went through a lot of tires he could get me and I settled on these.

Transeagle ST Radial All Steel Heavy Duty Premium Trailer Radial Tire-ST235/85R16 235/85/16 235/85-16 133/128L Load Range H LRH 16-Ply BSW Black Side Wall

They’re Trans Eagle 16 ply H rated and run at 115 lbs, though I run them at 105. Just make sure your wheels are capable of running at that pressure. So far I like them, I’ve got maybe a thousand miles on them.
I think the original tires were load range E. Back in 2007 I think was before the RIVA recommendation of tires have a 10% weight reserve so they were likely maxed out on weight when fully inflated and brand new. So you ran them 10 psi underinflated and they self destructed. Now, with new tires you're running then 10 psi underinflated. I'm not defending the TK's but I think your asking for similar results.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #69
Phx Refugee

After hearing all these horror stories on this thread and others about China Bombs, I decided to replace my Hi-Spec 225/75R15 LRD tires with Carlisle Radial Trail HD from Discount Tire. The price on the LRE is actually 8 bucks less than the LRD on their website. My question is; do I need to worry about my wheels if I upgrade to the higher load range? GVWR is 9100. I don't know exactly what wheels I have, but I assume they're aluminum.

2021 Crossroads Volante VL240RL21
2021 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L Hemi
Phx Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:26 PM   #70
Auto Parts Guy

I think the general consensus is to make sure you have high pressure valve stems installed when you replace the tires.
Auto Parts Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:32 PM   #71
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx Refugee View Post
After hearing all these horror stories on this thread and others about China Bombs, I decided to replace my Hi-Spec 225/75R15 LRD tires with Carlisle Radial Trail HD from Discount Tire. The price on the LRE is actually 8 bucks less than the LRD on their website. My question is; do I need to worry about my wheels if I upgrade to the higher load range? GVWR is 9100. I don't know exactly what wheels I have, but I assume they're aluminum.
Look at the back of the wheel for a weight and or psi capacity cast into the wheel. If there isn't a listing, you'll need to find out the manufacturer and contact them. E rated tires should require 80 psi. Use metal bolt in high pressure valve stems and I suggest getting a TPMS. The tires you choose are good IMO, I'm on my second set, first set was 6 years old when I replaced them this spring and looked great inside and out.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:35 PM   #72
Phx Refugee

Yup. I intend to get steel valve stems, and some sort of TPMS. TST 507 seems to be the consensus, but I'd prefer not to add another screen to my dash. I'd rather use a phone app or my Garmin since those screens are already staring at me. More info gathering required on that front.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:53 PM   #73
sourdough
Site Team

When you look at those wheels they may have max psi, max load or both. PSI and weight will reference back to each other ie; LRD 65psi = 2540lbs, LRE 80psi = 2830?? (off the top of my head).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:44 PM   #74
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx Refugee View Post
Yup. I intend to get steel valve stems, and some sort of TPMS. TST 507 seems to be the consensus, but I'd prefer not to add another screen to my dash. I'd rather use a phone app or my Garmin since those screens are already staring at me. More info gathering required on that front.
Personally I'd recommend adding theTPMS monitor so that you see the pressures & temps at glance rather than needing pull up an app on the phone that may be in your pocket or switch screens on the GPS. I'd think if using the phone you'd want it mounted so it's visible, typically the TPMS monitor will be about 1/2 the size of your phone. I'd also recommend the TST507.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:50 PM   #75
wiredgeorge

I am pretty sure no one knows of a case where someone went from LRD to LRE and had their rims blow up. I went from LRD to LRE and have never bothered to check the back of my rims. Walmart has a much better price on Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires as well. Order online and have them shipped to you and drag your camper to a tire shop and let them change them. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...Rated/55012166 with free shipping $111.12 with free shipping. If you really insist on Discount Tire, ask them to price match. They will.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:48 PM   #76
P & T

Where is the best place to get trailer tire inflation "best practices "?

I've been watching my TPMS and have been adding air (and bleeding air) frequently to maintain the 110 psi on the sticker. Always when the tires are cold but how much should I worry about the sunny side vs. the shady side. Ambient is ambient.

Yellowstone park this morning was about 50 deg F ambient at 8am. My shady side was about 103 psi cold-average. Sunny side was 108 psi cold-average. I pumped up everything to 110 psi. Got to Idaho and dropped about 1500 feet in elevation. Now my shady side (from the morning that was ~103 psi) was 115 psi cold-average and the other side was at 108 psi cold-average. Is my "shady side from the morning" over inflated? I bled the air to match the 108 psi and will recheck in the morning.

Sailun 235/80 R16G tires. I use a handheld digital gauge to compare to the TPMS. This is going to drive me batty and I'm probably overthinking things. Thanks in advance.
NV is home but SD is where I'll be.
P & T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:18 PM   #77
Phx Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I am pretty sure no one knows of a case where someone went from LRD to LRE and had their rims blow up. I went from LRD to LRE and have never bothered to check the back of my rims. Walmart has a much better price on Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires as well. Order online and have them shipped to you and drag your camper to a tire shop and let them change them. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...Rated/55012166 with free shipping $111.12 with free shipping. If you really insist on Discount Tire, ask them to price match. They will.
Discount's website says $111.00 for the Carlisle ST225 /75 R15 117M E1 BSB, and I get the support/service from any Discount/America's Tire location if I need it wherever I travel, as opposed to taking the tires from Walmart to Joe Schmo's Tire Shop. Plus one stop shopping would be worth a few bucks to me anyway.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:16 AM   #78
P & T

Quote:
Originally Posted by P & T View Post

I've been watching my TPMS and have been adding air (and bleeding air) frequently to maintain the 110 psi on the sticker. Always when the tires are cold but how much should I worry about the sunny side vs. the shady side. Ambient is ambient.

Yellowstone park this morning was about 50 deg F ambient at 8am. My shady side was about 103 psi cold-average. Sunny side was 108 psi cold-average. I pumped up everything to 110 psi. Got to Idaho and dropped about 1500 feet in elevation. Now my shady side (from the morning that was ~103 psi) was 115 psi cold-average and the other side was at 108 psi cold-average. Is my "shady side from the morning" over inflated? I bled the air to match the 108 psi and will recheck in the morning.

Sailun 235/80 R16G tires. I use a handheld digital gauge to compare to the TPMS. This is going to drive me batty and I'm probably overthinking things. Thanks in advance.
I'm going to start a new thread on this topic in the Toy Hauler section because now I have TH specific questions. Thx.
NV is home but SD is where I'll be.
P & T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:25 AM   #79
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by P & T View Post

Inflate the tires in Idaho (I live in Idaho too) before sun shines on the tires

I run 105 psi in my Sailuns

I also go to Yellowstone twice a year.. mid May and Late Sept

I do not concern myself with the cold psi of the tires at YNP .. they will usually read 103ish…

You are chasing ghosts ..

I also use a TST 507.. the tires heat up within 10 miles after leaving grizzly rv park headed back home to Idaho.

I usually see about 118 psi on the tires on the sunny side and 115 on the tires on the shady side while towing

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #80
CWtheMan

The following excerpt will explain, in part, why tire engineers build-in safeguards that protect tires from extremes.

Sticking to the proper procedures for servicing your tires is the best method for the tire's long life.

"Running tires are in thermal equilibrium between the generation of internal heat due to the viscoelasticity of the rubber material and the effects of their thermal environment. Since the viscoelasticity shows temperature dependency, there is a strong correlation between this thermal equilibrium and the rolling resistance. However, there are only few methods which can be used for estimating the amount of rolling resistance of an actual running vehicle using this correlation. In this paper, we would like to estimate the temperature distribution in the running tire by means of the quasi-static model of the finite element method (FEM) in consideration of the thermal environment of real road driving and introduce an approach toward estimating the rolling resistance of an actual running vehicle based on the correlation between the temperature distribution in the tire and the rolling resistance."
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires