Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2022, 05:28 PM   #21
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's a "very un-nerving situation" to be on a motorcycle, "chest high with 18 wheeler tires" as you pass them.
Exactly the reason I don't spend any time riding next to one while on the Harley!
Even in my truck, I won't stay beside one. I'll either speed up or slow down just to avoid that situation.
Old 04-12-2022, 05:30 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Exactly the reason I don't spend any time riding next to one while on the Harley!
Even in my truck, I won't stay beside one. I'll either speed up or slow down just to avoid that situation.
.....me too..... In the Slingshot, we're literally "looking up" at the hubs on 18 wheeler trailers. On the bike, I'm quite a bit "taller in the saddle"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:10 PM   #23
travelin texans

If there were a way to reassemble the treads laying on the interstate (called gators) between Tucson & Phoenix in the summer I think I could supply tires to an entire fleet of vehicles.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:28 PM   #24
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Like the title says do tires just blow up or is it just the end result of loss of air due to a leak or delamination? I have had tires "blow up" twice since we started RVing about 12 years ago. The first one did minimal damage about 4 years ago. The latest one did quite a bit more https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=50721 I have had the same TPMS system on both rigs and while it has alerted me to slow leaks on other occasions it didn't on these two until well after the "blow up" occurred. I have the TireTraker TT-400 and it does not do real time monitoring and I am exploring getting a new system. So I have been researching different brands and models of TPMS, TireTraker has a newer model the TT-600 but a call to their tech dept basically said that while it updates more often it still is not real time. So the bottom line is if blow ups just happen could any TPMS alert me in real time so I could avoid some of the damage?

In a word, YES. See these two pics. This was the spare tire on the back of the TT. It literally just made a loud bang sound. Probably 70 degrees outside. I set the PSI to 80 about a week earlier, so it was at 80psi or less...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Blow-out-2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	39242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Blow-out-1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	39243  
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax (sold)
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 04:36 AM   #25
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJLarson View Post
I've had TireMinder TPMS for a few years now. Great service when I had a sender stop working, they sent a replacement and return label postage prepaid.

As to blowing up, could be age or incorrect inflation; both under and over inflation can cause tire failure. I see most people don't know the correct PSI for their RV. It is NOT the psi printed on the sidewall, that's the max psi the tire is designed to hold. At sidewall psi tires can be over inflated and thus can prematurely fail. Over inflation will result in less tread on the roadway which is a safety issue. The correct psi is usually less than what is printed on the sidewall and is based upon the weight each tire is supporting; go to the mfg's website and look for the inflation table for your tires.

As an example: our TT weights about 5300 lbs fully loaded out, we have Goodyear Endurance tires, each tire is supporting 1,325 lbs (5300/4). According to the inflation chart for these tires my correct inflation is between 30-40 psi, much lower than the sidewall 65 psi. I keep the tires at 40 psi since the inflation chart says to use the next higher psi. This keeps the max tread width on the road surface and per Goodyear will provide the best tire wear. It's unfortunate that tire dealers are not educated about this or if they know it they don't tell the buyer about the correct tire pressure. I keep a copy of Goodyears inflation chart in the TT to prove my point when I stop to have the tire psi checked and adjusted.

In over 30 years of RVing I have never had a tire fail or blow out and since I boondock most of the time the tires are subjected to very rough treatment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
NOPE!
That sidewall pressure is what that tire should be inflated to to carry the max load that tire is rated for, not the max that tire can handle.
If your running 40 psi in a tire rated for 1325lbs at 65 psi that tire is extremely under inflated.
You can, apparently do, s you see fit, but for others reading this inflate your tires, whether motorhome or towable, to the recommended pressures posted on the placard on each rv.
You need to reread KJLarson's post! they stated the pressure NEEDED to support 1,325# per tire, is 35 psi, so they inflate to 40 psi according to load inflation chart. The statement in red is important, an tire overinflated for LOAD will have less road contact and poorer were and breaking traction.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 04:43 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
You need to reread KJLarson's post! they stated the pressure NEEDED to support 1,325# per tire, is 35 psi, so they inflate to 40 psi according to load inflation chart. The statement in red is important, an tire overinflated for LOAD will have less road contact and poorer were and breaking traction.
Someone needs to call Keystone and tell them they are just wrong with thier tire inflation placard on the side of their trailers. Those placards by the way never have a brand on them, only the OEM size and ply rating. Just tell them to read KJLarson's post and see what they say.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:43 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Two schools of thought:

1. Tire wear is important in ST tires used on trailers, so it's critical to adjust tire pressure to achieve better tire wear.

2. ST tires on trailers will age out before they wear out, so it's critical to adjust tire pressure to achieve better tire weight carrying capacity.

The two, IMO, are similar to water and oil.... They'll combine and work together to pour over a salad, but not so good behind a tow vehicle....

YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I read that post the 1st time, no need to read again!
You & Larson inflate your tires to whatever you feel comfortable with & so will I.
In 40+ 'years towing all kinds of trailers hauling all kinds of loads with the tires inflated to the side wall pressures I've only had 1 tire issue & that was due the boss insisting on putting LT tires on a heavy trailer rather than spending the $$ on the appropriate trailer tires.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:59 AM   #29
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Two schools of thought:

1. Tire wear is important in ST tires used on trailers, so it's critical to adjust tire pressure to achieve better tire wear.

2. ST tires on trailers will age out before they wear out, so it's critical to adjust tire pressure to achieve better tire weight carrying capacity.

The two, IMO, are similar to water and oil.... They'll combine and work together to pour over a salad, but not so good behind a tow vehicle....

YMMV
I am starting to lean to 1. on our old 5ver I ran the tires at the max PSI. The original tires (TowMax) were load range E and I ran em at Max PSI 80 and had blowouts, Got Hercules 901s ran em at Max PSI 105 and had blowouts. Got Saliun S637s (Max PSI 110) talked to their tech people about PSI, they asked for weight on axles when I told em they recommended 80psi I ran 90psi put about 20000 miles on em never had the first issue, tires still looked like new when we traded it in.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:47 AM   #30
gearhead

My TST monitor alarmed yesterday on the interstate. I usually run about 65MPH in a 70 zone. The alarm goes off at 150PSI. Ambient temp was about 70F. The monitor was showing 10-20F tire temp above ambient. All the tires were running 140-148 PSI depending on the sun.
I planned to get up this morning and have to let some air out. Nope, just checked them 123/124 PSI. Placard calls for 125.
215/75R 17.5 LR G Hercules SteelGuard.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:33 AM   #31
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Like the title says do tires just blow up or is it just the end result of loss of air due to a leak or delamination? I have had tires "blow up" twice since we started RVing about 12 years ago. The first one did minimal damage about 4 years ago. The latest one did quite a bit more https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=50721 I have had the same TPMS system on both rigs and while it has alerted me to slow leaks on other occasions it didn't on these two until well after the "blow up" occurred. I have the TireTraker TT-400 and it does not do real time monitoring and I am exploring getting a new system. So I have been researching different brands and models of TPMS, TireTraker has a newer model the TT-600 but a call to their tech dept basically said that while it updates more often it still is not real time. So the bottom line is if blow ups just happen could any TPMS alert me in real time so I could avoid some of the damage?

That is quite a claim. Maybe we just do not have the same understanding of "real time". If you unscrew a TPM sensor so the air starts to leak out uou are saying the TPMS display never shows the loss of pressure? If you partially unscrew the sensor and drop say 20 psi how long before your monitor reports the loss of air. 10 minutes? Half an hour? maybe more information would help me understand.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:42 AM   #32
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Yes, tires do actually just 'blow up.' Probably not the most common occurrence, but if you hear the loud POP then it just 'blew up," and no TPMS will help you out unless it was due to extreme temperatures.

What temperature are you suggesting would be necessary to cause a tire to blow just go "POP"? Since pressure only changes by about 2% for each change in Temp of 10F, and since most undamaged ST type tires can tolerate well over 150 psi.
If we start with 80 psi at 100F the math indicates that if the temperature increases by 100F (to 200F) we might see a 20% increase in pressure or a hot pressure of 96 psi. But most TPMS come from the factory with a High Temperature warning of 158F.

Maybe if you could provide the situation and conditions that would support your idea it would help others understand what you are saying.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:46 AM   #33
CaptnJohn

Having read the threads on a few sites for many years there are some common things that pop up. Certain names like Tow Max are most often mentioned. Then GY Put out the Marathon, a good tire for some time then they became known for problems. Other names like Carlise and Sailun have very few reported problems, same with Endurance but after the Marathon fiasco I'll never trust GY again.
The last couple years manufacturers are using tires with a 10% margin, not so on earlier years.
If your unit is close to GVWR the sticker temps are your best guide. If you are considering adjusting you need to scale each tire on each axel as not one will usually match another!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:49 AM   #34
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
On our current camper, a 2002, the spare "just blew up". Can't recall brand but it was an off brand I am sure. First developed a large bump where the cords on the inside separated and it BLEW. Tire chunks all over the parking spot.

Yes under certain conditions such as years exposure to direct sunlight heat the rubber in the belts of a tire can be degraded to the point that they lose strength. I have confirmed and demonstrated that this is possible in laboratory situation but the tire also needed to be significantly over-inflated and years old. Also this can occur in tires that do not have a layer of Nylon above the steel belts. You can learn if your tires have nylon by reading the tire sidewall.
You should also protect your spare tire from long term direct exposure to sunlight by using a white tire cover. I have demonstrated this in a test, with data, that I published in my blog post. "White covers do they do any good".
Old 04-17-2022, 07:56 AM   #35
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Just went through and replaced all my batteries on the sensors before my trip a few weeks ago..also my remote monitor has a built in battery..coming home I glanced over and it was blank…had to have DW quickly find the charge cable and plug in to usb…took about 5 long min for it to synch with all the sensors…won’t make that mistake again

My monitor holds a full charge for over a day of driving. While therr might be a claim of 2 or 3 days for monitor battery life, I simply shut the monitor off and plug it in for an overnight charge. Never had any monitor problems since 2010.
Following the above, each morning when I get up, I unplug the charger, turn the monitor back on and after starting my coffee I can go and get the morning, cold tire pressure reading to know that all tires have the desired pressure for that travel day.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:57 AM   #36
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My TST 507 is going on year 3 with original batteries. We haven't gone anywhere yet other than getting the tires replaced about 12 miles away. I'll replace them before our first trip but typically I do that every spring. I buy the very common button cells on Amazon for less than $2 each on a card of a 8 or 10.

I also replace all batteries in the spring, just good practice IMHO. I remove all batteries (remotes, sensors,etc.) in the fall and throw them in a jar at the house. Put in fresh in the camper AND I have new spares in the camper as well. Use the spares, replace them with new spares, typicall shelf life is several years. I've found that much easier and more economical than "a trip to town in search of a $1.50 battery that'll cost $6 at some pharmacy.

Just my experience, YMMV

Good plan and good practice.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:11 AM   #37
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
so if one runs the correct air pressure
and under the rated speed

and have TPM

what is the normal tire temp increase over ambient temp one can expect?

or what is the danger zone temperature for tires ??

If by "correct pressure" you mean the pressure stated for your scale weight reading plus a 10% Reserve, you don't need to worry about temperature or pressure increase.
But since you asked you can expect a pressure increase of 10 to 25% depending on speed and load but undamaged tires can handle that increase. When we design tires we do test for increased temperature and pressure. You can set your high pressure warning level on your TPMS to 125% of your "cold" inflation pressure.

I have written a number of times on "tire temperature reading" from TPMS and have a long post just on that topic scheduled on my blog on April 29.

Relating to this thread I have a post on 4/15 on "I just had a failure for no reason" coming 4/22 "Simple question - Why do tires fail" so my timing on the three posts was good for those that want facts from an actual tire design engineer as opposed to information heard around the campfire.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:21 AM   #38
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Someone needs to call Keystone and tell them they are just wrong with thier tire inflation placard on the side of their trailers. Those placards by the way never have a brand on them, only the OEM size and ply rating. Just tell them to read KJLarson's post and see what they say.

The RV Certification label that is applied to ALL types of RV are required BY LAW since about 2002, to state the tire size and the inflation required to support the GAWR which is also required on one of the labels. In MH the sticker are to be on the driver door jam or if no driver door then the sticker is located near the driver's left side. For towables the label is to be on the outside, drivers side toward the front. You should all have a picture on your phone of the label. Also you should have a picture of your weigh slip as this is all important information.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:27 AM   #39
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Having read the threads on a few sites for many years there are some common things that pop up. Certain names like Tow Max are most often mentioned. Then GY Put out the Marathon, a good tire for some time then they became known for problems. Other names like Carlise and Sailun have very few reported problems, same with Endurance but after the Marathon fiasco I'll never trust GY again.
The last couple years manufacturers are using tires with a 10% margin, not so on earlier years.
If your unit is close to GVWR the sticker temps are your best guide. If you are considering adjusting you need to scale each tire on each axel as not one will usually match another!

RVIA changed their requirements (Nov 2017 if i recall) to require tire inflation on the Certification label to be enough to support 110% of GAWR. But not all RV companies follow RVIA.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:48 AM   #40
Lil Joe

Tire Minder TPMS

I lost a wheel off of the 5er rolling down the interstate in Amarillo TX. The Tire Minder TPMS did not register anything. No heat build up, no disconnect. In fact it still showed I had correct pressure in that tire even though it had flown out into oblivion. We only noticed when the wife said the fender skirt was flapping. I called the company and they said."We'd be millionaires if we could figure it out to register if a tire went missing. So what good is it if one disconnects and the main monitor does not register it?
Lil Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires