Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2021, 04:30 AM   #161
gearhead

I went from Sailun to Hercules Strong Guard, 17.5" all steel. About 4,000 miles on them. OK so far.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:29 AM   #162
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I went from Sailun to Hercules Strong Guard, 17.5" all steel. About 4,000 miles on them. OK so far.
Tire brands are just a personal choice. You didn't change designated size did you?
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:57 PM   #163
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Tire brands are just a personal choice. You didn't change designated size did you?
No.
I had trouble finding Sailuns near me so went with the Hercules dealer around the corner.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:51 AM   #164
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
No.
I had trouble finding Sailuns near me so went with the Hercules dealer around the corner.
Very good idea. I've never been a fan of mail order tires for RVs.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #165
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Very good idea. I've never been a fan of mail order tires for RVs.
Curious why? I've not "mail ordered" tires but have bought them on the internet. Never had an issue and so far all have been manufactured within 2 -3 months prior to delivery.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #166
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Curious why? I've not "mail ordered" tires but have bought them on the internet. Never had an issue and so far all have been manufactured within 2 -3 months prior to delivery.
Same with me. Almost any tire, whether from Discount tire, WalMart or "your local tire store" will be a "special order" (We don't have them in stock, but will can have them here Monday if you want to order them....

Ordering from some "websites that don't have retail outlets" means finding your own tire installer (like Amazon) or the website will give you "a list of installers in your area"... I tend to shy away from those.... (personal preference)

But, I don't see any difference in getting on the computer and ordering from the "Discount tire website" or "WalMart.com" and in driving to Discount tire to order them or standing in line at WalMart tire counter to order them....

Actually, using the internet, I'm able to "shop everything Discount tire has" where in the store, I can't pull up another one to look at tread patterns without feeling that I'm making the guy in line behind me impatient.....

I wouldn't call "ordering tires on the internet" a "mailorder transaction".... At least, not in the sense of "sending a check in an envelope and waiting for a package on the front porch"....

I see no difference in "ordering tires at DTC's service counter in the store and ordering tires at DTC.com"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #167
tech740

I prefer the retail shop orders them then to mail order. Reason is that when I get there if they are not correct or not "fresh" enough I can walk away with no money invested. If they are delivered to me I have to deal with the return if there is an issue. I suppose it is selfish to invest their time and money versus mine but that is my thoughts.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:09 PM   #168
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
I prefer the retail shop orders them then to mail order. Reason is that when I get there if they are not correct or not "fresh" enough I can walk away with no money invested. If they are delivered to me I have to deal with the return if there is an issue. I suppose it is selfish to invest their time and money versus mine but that is my thoughts.
You can order from Walmart.com and the tires are delivered to the store. You call (or they send an email) when the tires arrive, you go to the store and inspect the tires and they install them.

It's the same with Discount Tire. You order them online, they ship them to the DT store of your choice and you go in, look at the tires and they install them.

I agree, I don't order from Amazon and have the tires shipped to the house and I don't order from Simple Tire and have them shipped to a "third party installer" where "I'm stuck paying for the install if I refuse the tires".....

One, in my mind, is "mail order" (amazon and simple tire) the other is the same process when ordering on line or in the store. The only difference is "travel time to order". Otherwise, same process, You decide what tires you want, they order them, call you when they come in and you go get them installed... Essentially, it's the same as "years ago" when we called Sears or Firestone and asked, "Do you have XXX in stock?" they usually said, "No, but we can have them on Monday" and you made a phone decision, "Order me 4 and call me when they come in" or "No thanks, I need them today"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #169
CWtheMan

I guess I should have clarified my reasons for not using mail order/ internet tires.

During our more than 5 years on the road as full timers, the only home we had was our fiver. Full time for us was an on-the-go travels adventure with very few stops longer than two weeks. During those years we visited all of the lower 48 and 3 CDN provinces and put about 120,000 miles on our rig. We used approx. 50 tires on our trailer and another 12 on our TV.

I very seldom identify our trailer tires because they were not popular but they were easy to find, nation wide. Tomax by Power King was the brand. Our original tires were GY Marathons. All four on the road failed within the first year and I trashed the fifth. Went with a higher load range Tomax and changed them out every 12,000 miles. Most of our failures after that were from road hazards.

Advise: Get individual wheel weights on the trailer tires, regularly. Check inflation pressures before you roll, every time, even on an overnighter. Do a tire heat check at every rest stop. Do it when you arrive and before leaving. You can get hot brakes when pulling into some short rest area entrance roads. The heat from the hot brakes will dissipate into the wheels and tires.

TV tire brands. Original GY, second set Kelly Springfield - my younger brother worked at KS, got me a very good price - next GY AT. The Marine Air Station NEX, Yuma AZ talked me into them. On sale and no tax. Great tire, really good wet road traction.

Bottom line, we would not like to sit around waiting for tires to be shipped and then find out they are already a year old.

After leaving from a 3 month winter stay at Yuma, AZ we were heading east on I8. After the veggie check and the long pull up the mountains, we stopped at a truckers pull-out on top just to do a walk-around. What a great idea. one of the tires had a wire sticking out of it's sidewall. Got a replacement for it at the next overnighter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AZ - I8 - 7.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	34851
Old 08-05-2021, 06:14 AM   #170
CWtheMan

Sailun Tire Failures

Sailun tire users on the Montana Owner's forum have reported a number of Sailun tire failures. All were manufactured at a plant in Vietnam.

8-5-21
Old 08-05-2021, 06:30 AM   #171
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Sailun tire users on the Montana Owner's forum have reported a number of Sailun tire failures. All were manufactured at a plant in Vietnam.

8-5-21
That site has an "almost constant thread discussion" about airing down tires based on trailer/axle weight vs running at the tire manufacturer's recommended maximum pressures. On the Sailun LRG tires, the recommended pressure is 110PSI.

I wonder how many of those "Sailun tire failures" are a result of people "experimenting with tire pressure to improve the ride" ???

I often just "shake my head" when I read about someone with a trailer equipped with OEM LRD tires that "upgrades to LRE tires" and then runs them at 65 PSI because they don't want to deal with damage from a rough ride caused by 80 PSI in the tires that are "too hard".

Anyway, it would be interesting to see "the rest of the story" about why those Sailun's are failing.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #172
CWtheMan

The intent of this post is to be informatory.

Each tire has its maximum load capacity molded on its sidewall. Also on the sidewall is the amount of cold inflation pressure need to produce the tire's maximum load capacity. That inflation pressure is not a recommendation, its a necessary step to gain the maximum load capacity from the tire.

All of our RV trailers have a mandated federal certification label. On that label is the minimum tire & wheel combination. The vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressures for those tires are the minimum. Any subsequent replacement tires must maintain, at a minimum, the load capacity the OE tires provided. Same sized tires, regardless of load range, must be inflated to a value that will allow the tire to provide the load capacity the OE tires provided. In other words, a same sized LRE tire must be inflated to the vehicle manufacturers inflation recommendation for a LRD. Inflation pressures between the vehicle manufacturers recommendation and the LRE (80 PSI) are optional. Plus sized tires (when approved) must also provide, via recommended inflation pressures, a load capacity equal to or greater than what the OE tires provided.

"By the book", an underinflated tire is a tire with an inflation pressure lower than what has been recommended. An overinflated tire is one inflated beyond the cold PSI value molded on the tire sidewall. Optional inflation pressures start at the recommended value and continue on to the sidewall max.

Sorry for repeating myself, it just worked its way in there.

My reference for the above comes from NHTSA. To gain more information on the subject (s) there is a NHTSA brochure labeled SAFECAR.

Keep in mind; there are some differences with ST tires when reading the regulations and standards. The most significant is load capacity. Automotive fitments MUST provide a percentage of load capacity reserves. Any tires used on RV trailer do not have a mandate for inflation pressures above the vehicle certified GAWRs. Passenger tires fitted to RV trailer axles MUST be de-rated by about 10%. Divide the "P" tire's maximum load capacity by 1.1. I found them to be very popular on dual axle bass boat trailers.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:56 AM   #173
CWtheMan

Tire Barcode Labeling

More and more small white barcode labels are being seen on new tires. They are normally affixed near the tire bead area. I don't recommend removing them as they may have been added when the tire was vulcanized.

Here is an information document about those barcodes. I found it surfing the net.

https://www.midcomservicegroup.com/g...rcode-labeling
Old 08-06-2021, 09:29 AM   #174
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That site has an "almost constant thread discussion" about airing down tires based on trailer/axle weight vs running at the tire manufacturer's recommended maximum pressures. On the Sailun LRG tires, the recommended pressure is 110PSI.

I wonder how many of those "Sailun tire failures" are a result of people "experimenting with tire pressure to improve the ride" ???

I often just "shake my head" when I read about someone with a trailer equipped with OEM LRD tires that "upgrades to LRE tires" and then runs them at 65 PSI because they don't want to deal with damage from a rough ride caused by 80 PSI in the tires that are "too hard".

Anyway, it would be interesting to see "the rest of the story" about why those Sailun's are failing.....
Also have read these threads on other forums including motorhomes.
Why would anyone buy heavy load range tires then under inflate them to improve the ride, they've defeated the whole idea of heavier tires.
If worried about the ride of a towable RV, my question is who's riding in it to notice whether it rides rough or not? If things are shaking loose in/on a rv that means you've traveled on our great highway system regardless of tire inflation.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:00 AM   #175
flybouy
Site Team

^^^ Agreed! Will add this, ,maybe they need to SLOW DOWN! Some folks don't understand the damage that can be done to the truck as well when they go "Dukes of Hazzard" over bridges, RR crossings and bad roads. But I guess it does keep the frame shops and tire dealers busy.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #176
CWtheMan

Quote:
More and more small white barcode labels are being seen on new tires. They are normally affixed near the tire bead area. I don't recommend removing them as they may have been added when the tire was vulcanized.

Here is an information document about those barcodes. I found it surfing the net.

https://www.midcomservicegroup.com/g...rcode-labeling
https://www.computype.com/blog/tire-...bel-definition
Old 08-06-2021, 11:13 AM   #177
CWtheMan

this is a direct quote from a USTMA standards manual for Motorized RVs.

With actual weights of the loaded RV acquired by weighing, it is possible to compare them against the GAWR, GVWR, and tire capacities posted on the vehicle tire placard or certification label. These actual weights are also what should be used to determine any increase in inflation pressure for the tires, if required. Inflation pressure recommendations may also be determined based on the tire manufacturer’s specifications, which define the amount of inflation pressure necessary to carry a given load. These inflation pressures may differ from those found on the vehicle tire placard or certification label. However, never use inflation pressures lower than specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification label or owner’s manual. Nor should inflation pressure exceed the maximum pressure molded on the tire sidewall.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:18 PM   #178
CWtheMan

Looking for trailer tires not made in China or with a China connection? Kankook, a Korean tire builder has entered the ST tire market with the most common polyester railer tire sizes and three popular steel cased sizes. Sailun was popular after a few years of use. Maybe tihis company will follow. The following message comes from a Traction news story.

COMMENTS:

Hankook Tire announces that it has entered the Trailer Tire Segment by adding trailer offerings to its lineup of innovative products. Hankook will now offer the Vantra Trailer Tire that will fit most popular trailer applications.

The Vantra Trailer will be released in nine sizes, while the Vantra Trailer for high loads (TH31) will be released in three sizes. The products are built to perform on vehicles such as campers, fifth wheel trailers, travel trailers, flatbed/hauling trailers, boat trailers and horse trailers, and are engineered to deliver exceptional durability and stability under heavy-duty conditions.

The Vantra Trailer features a high stiffness pattern block and decoupling grooves optimized for heavy-duty performance. Its structure is built for enhanced durability and stability as well as improved traction in all road conditions.

The Vantra Trailer for high loads (TH31) is designed with a main zig-zag groove that provides excellent traction and water drainage under various road conditions, as well as asymmetric grooves that helps eject stones. The tire also features an all-steel radial structure for maximum durability as well as a new compound mixing system called Innovation Mixing System (IMS) that minimizes disconnection of polymer chains and oxidation for enhanced durability.

“We’re committed to offering tire products that enable consumers to enjoy the freedom of the open road – and the adventure of the great outdoors. Ideal for boat, cargo, RV and other types of trailers, the Vantra Trailer products offer outdoor enthusiasts the same high level of quality and performance as our passenger, SUV and light truck tires,” said Curtis Brison, Vice President of PCLT Sales. “We are eager to enter this segment and look forward to serving the market with our new and innovative Vantra Trailer products.”

“As our first-ever products in the Trailer Tire segment, we wanted to develop tires that would deliver exceptional performance and stability in heavy duty conditions,” said Kijong Kil, Vice President of RE Development. “Both products are designed to withstand heavy loads and perform on a variety of road conditions, which are essential for trailer applications.”

The Vantra Trailer tires are now available as of April 1, 2021.

https://www.hankooktire.com/us/special-trailer.html
Old 08-08-2021, 03:28 AM   #179
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Looking for trailer tires not made in China or with a China connection? Kankook, a Korean tire builder has entered the ST tire market with the most common polyester railer tire sizes and three popular steel cased sizes. Sailun was popular after a few years of use. Maybe tihis company will follow. The following message comes from a Traction news story.

COMMENTS:

Hankook Tire announces that it has entered the Trailer Tire Segment by adding trailer offerings to its lineup of innovative products. Hankook will now offer the Vantra Trailer Tire that will fit most popular trailer applications.

The Vantra Trailer will be released in nine sizes, while the Vantra Trailer for high loads (TH31) will be released in three sizes. The products are built to perform on vehicles such as campers, fifth wheel trailers, travel trailers, flatbed/hauling trailers, boat trailers and horse trailers, and are engineered to deliver exceptional durability and stability under heavy-duty conditions.

The Vantra Trailer features a high stiffness pattern block and decoupling grooves optimized for heavy-duty performance. Its structure is built for enhanced durability and stability as well as improved traction in all road conditions.

The Vantra Trailer for high loads (TH31) is designed with a main zig-zag groove that provides excellent traction and water drainage under various road conditions, as well as asymmetric grooves that helps eject stones. The tire also features an all-steel radial structure for maximum durability as well as a new compound mixing system called Innovation Mixing System (IMS) that minimizes disconnection of polymer chains and oxidation for enhanced durability.

“We’re committed to offering tire products that enable consumers to enjoy the freedom of the open road – and the adventure of the great outdoors. Ideal for boat, cargo, RV and other types of trailers, the Vantra Trailer products offer outdoor enthusiasts the same high level of quality and performance as our passenger, SUV and light truck tires,” said Curtis Brison, Vice President of PCLT Sales. “We are eager to enter this segment and look forward to serving the market with our new and innovative Vantra Trailer products.”

“As our first-ever products in the Trailer Tire segment, we wanted to develop tires that would deliver exceptional performance and stability in heavy duty conditions,” said Kijong Kil, Vice President of RE Development. “Both products are designed to withstand heavy loads and perform on a variety of road conditions, which are essential for trailer applications.”

The Vantra Trailer tires are now available as of April 1, 2021.

https://www.hankooktire.com/us/special-trailer.html

Glad to see another major tire manufacturer jump into the RV tire marketplace. Four of those Vanta Trailer in ST225/75R15 appear to be about $100 less than Goodyear Endurance. Time will tell if Hanook is making a reliable trailer tire.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:48 AM   #180
flybouy
Site Team

That's great, now in half a dozen or so years we'll see how reliable they are.

Tags
tires