Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2021, 02:31 PM   #41
Mmeyer

Yes they will work with a 5 th wheel. I don’t have the TPMS,, I have the EEztire but I think they all are similar. I think they are nice to have you can see what is happening while traveling down the road. I suggest installing metal valve stems.
Reese goose box
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #42
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I'm new to this and just bought a used 2015 Cougar XLite 26 RLS. I've decided to by new Goodyear tires because the unit had its original tires. Can these TPMS work on the 5th wheel tires? When I look at descriptions on Amazon a lot say not suitable for RV or trailer use.
I'm mainly interested in a TPMS to alert me to a blowout on the 5th wheel. Are they worth it?
Some of the inexpensive units will not work for RVs because of the higher pressure required for an ST tire is much higher than a Passenger tire. They are well worth the investment IMHO.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #43
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Some of the inexpensive units will not work for RVs because of the higher pressure required for an ST tire is much higher than a Passenger tire. They are well worth the investment IMHO.
Any suggestions that don't cost a lot.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:05 PM   #44
Tireman9

Quote:
I'm new to this and just bought a used 2015 Cougar XLite 26 RLS. I've decided to by new Goodyear tires because the unit had its original tires. Can these TPMS work on the 5th wheel tires? When I look at descriptions on Amazon a lot say not suitable for RV or trailer use.
I'm mainly interested in a TPMS to alert me to a blowout on the 5th wheel. Are they worth it?

Suggest you not buy on low price but from a dealer that knows about RVs. Good TPMS will work on cars, trucks trailers and RVs. You can buy as many sensors aas you need. You can set the warning level for both low and high pressure. Its better to learn that you are losing air due to a slow leak and not wait for a "Blowout". Some folks have been able to stop soon enough to put a spare on and even saved the leaking tire for4 a repair.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:55 PM   #45
Bill-2020

Hands down one of the first safety devices you NEED.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #46
LHaven

Quote:
Any suggestions that don't cost a lot.
I don't really know what you consider a lot... I bought the Minder Smart TPMS and an extra sender for the spare tire, and I'm very happy with it. One economy is that you don't have to buy a display unit, it uses your smartphone. (You don't have to drive with the smartphone on, the in-cab receiver sounds off for any tire problem -- then you use the smartphone just to determine which tire and what the problem is.)

The "default" reference pressure when you add new senders is somewhere in three digits (some semitrailer standard, I suspect), way higher than we need with our 80PSI tires, so high 5er pressures aren't a problem for this setup.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:03 PM   #47
travelin texans

Personally from my experience with the TST 507 I would definitely want a monitor that reads pressures/temperatures constantly so that I can check with a quick glance. As for warning of an impending blowout I don't know of any unit that will warn you of that specifically, but if monitoring temps & pressures you might avoid a blowout if one tire seems different than the others, which is why the monitor rather than a phone app that only warns you after the fact.
I would definitely recommend some brand of TPMS, not necessarily the cheapest.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #48
LHaven

Don't get me wrong. The Minder Smart TPMS does constantly check temps and pressures. It just does it in a unit that alarms at you, but doesn't have a display of its own. When you need information off the display, you use your phone app.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:26 PM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Don't get me wrong. The Minder Smart TPMS does constantly check temps and pressures. It just does it in a unit that alarms at you, but doesn't have a display of its own. When you need information off the display, you use your phone app.
The "limitation" at least in my mind, to this kind of system is that it "alarms you when approaching the limit"...

That's the difference in a temperature gauge in a truck and a "HOT" light in a truck... With the gauge (constant monitoring of actual temperature/pressure) you can visualize a trend. With the "HOT" light, you don't know there's a problem until "there IS a problem"....

It's the same with a monitor system that "constantly monitors tire pressure" and alarms you when there's an issue.... You "roll along fat, dumb and happy until you're not".....

Don't get me wrong, having that type of system is better than no system at all, but like the "idiot light and the gauge" any "good/bad" notification system doesn't allow for trending or "situational awareness"....

The problem with a phone app system is that you have to "tinker with the phone while driving" to access the monitor function, then, get a phone call or need to use the GPS function and "you're tinkering again while driving" to get back to the TPMS app.... For me (and I hope all other drivers towing 5 or more tons on a public highway) "tinkering with a phone app" is best left to the rest areas while the transmission is in P, not on the highway with the transmission in D.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #50
LHaven

I get your point. But even if you have the smartphone display front and center all the time, it's still only going to tell you about whichever tire you have selected. It won't show you the other tires unless you diddle with it, which is one of those things you're not supposed to do while you're driving. Do TPMS systems with dedicated displays do it any differently?
Old 01-24-2021, 07:11 PM   #51
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I get your point. But even if you have the smartphone display front and center all the time, it's still only going to tell you about whichever tire you have selected. It won't show you the other tires unless you diddle with it, which is one of those things you're not supposed to do while you're driving. Do TPMS systems with dedicated displays do it any differently?
Yes. Mine has a "GPS sized display" that's always on and shows the pressure/temperature of each tire All tire information is arranged in the same position on the monitor as the tires are mounted on the trailer. A "quick glance" (just like looking at the tach and speedometer) and I know the tire status. My "routine" is to scan the road ahead, scan both mirrors, scan the rear camera monitor, scan the dash display and scan the TPMS, then back to scanning the road ahead and repeat the process. Every once in a while, I'll scan the Navigation "time to destination" and/or the clock and glance over at DW to see if she's sleeping, reading or staring at me.... If she's staring, I meekly avert any eye contact until I determine if she's upset or just admiring my good looks.... After all, I do drive a SuperDuty, so like the rest of the Ford owners, I know I'm a "cut above in good looks"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:23 PM   #52
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yes. Mine has a "GPS sized display" that's always on and shows the pressure/temperature of each tire All tire information is arranged in the same position on the monitor as the tires are mounted on the trailer. A "quick glance" (just like looking at the tach and speedometer) and I know the tire status. My "routine" is to scan the road ahead, scan both mirrors, scan the rear camera monitor, scan the dash display and scan the TPMS, then back to scanning the road ahead and repeat the process. Every once in a while, I'll scan the Navigation "time to destination" and/or the clock and glance over at DW to see if she's sleeping, reading or staring at me.... If she's staring, I meekly avert any eye contact until I determine if she's upset or just admiring my good looks.... After all, I do drive a SuperDuty, so like the rest of the Ford owners, I know I'm a "cut above in good looks"...
There's a difference between staring and glaring. I like to think us Ford drivers don't get glares from the DW. We only get them staring in adoration at their handsome husband. Ok, gotta take off the boots and go to bed before it gets any deeper!
Old 01-24-2021, 08:33 PM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

Just got in with puppy; Sorry guys, DW is staring out "there" looking at all those beautiful Ram trucks passing by feeling a little....I wish we had one..
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:53 PM   #54
Jim2366

I am wondering how to power the tire monitor system. I have one 12 volt plug that I have a splitter that I plug in the GPS and the also the Furrion camera monitor. I have a number of USB ports available.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:50 PM   #55
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
I am wondering how to power the tire monitor system. I have one 12 volt plug that I have a splitter that I plug in the GPS and the also the Furrion camera monitor. I have a number of USB ports available.
Well, you don't say what model you have or what the power connections are. If alll you need is another cig lighter socket you can get a harmonica extension (link).
Old 02-23-2022, 03:48 AM   #56
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
There are many, many iterations of 12v dc splitters, expanders, "power strips" , etc. Many have built-in usb outlets as well. Search (Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, or the web) and ye shall find.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:20 AM   #57
JDDilly

My TPMS has a battery and I charge it, no power needed in TV. I can use it for at least 2 days before I need to charge again. I have a TireMinder A1A, not saying it is the best one out there, I have had it for years and has worked well. I see no need to upgrade until I need to.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:59 AM   #58
Tireman9

Quote:

My TireTraker TPMS has internal battery in the display that is good for a couple days. Normally I plug it in at night every couple of days and have never run out of power. This eliminates one cord over the dash. I like their lifetime warrant too.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:12 AM   #59
lestahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
My TireTraker TPMS has internal battery in the display that is good for a couple days. Normally I plug it in at night every couple of days and have never run out of power. This eliminates one cord over the dash. I like their lifetime warrant too.
Great. Question, do you have to use the booster? I have a 33.5 TT and I'd like a tpms that I don't have to connect the booster (because frankly I don't feel comfortable connecting to terminals)
Old 02-25-2022, 09:16 AM   #60
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestahhh View Post
Great. Question, do you have to use the booster? I have a 33.5 TT and I'd like a tpms that I don't have to connect the booster (because frankly I don't feel comfortable connecting to terminals)

Boosters are only "needed" when the combination of distance and materials between the rv tires and the monitor prevent the signal from the sensors on the wheels to get to the monitor. We are talking about radio waves sent from the sensors using the small "watch" type batteries. You have a long trailer so that increases the probability of dropped signals.

Boosters only have 2 wires to connect. A ground that can be attached to almost anything metal and the + 12v which would be connected to something that is powered when you are towing. I am assuming you have a Pick-up as your TV which also increases the distance, so yes you will probably need a booster if you want a reliable system.
The booster could be placed at the front of the TT in the inside to protect against water.

I would be surprised if you can't find someone to do the wire connections for you as most RV owners are a friendly and helpful group. It's a 5 minute job.