Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #21
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Okay you got my interest. I know we all wish we had another inch or so more. What is the measurement that you have now? Unless I am missing something putting on the 85s you will loose only a half an inch. I know loosing anything is not good

I have been running the Carlisle Radial Trail RH st235/85R16 F for now going on over two years. Traveling over all type terrain done good with know none issues.

Of course I have a verified Raptor,ie no Fake labeling . Would be interested in your measurement. Canesfan as soon as it gets as warm here as your Temps will go out and look at what you are referring to. Better get tires on your trip coming up
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #22
canesfan

Paraptor, it was hard to measure the slide side. My tape measure case is labeled as 3" and I could just barely get it between the top of the tire and the bottom of the slide. I was actually pushing up on the "membrane" that covers the bottom of the slide. So I would say barely 3". That would leave me 2-1/2" with the 85s. I have no idea how much the suspension travels and don't want to find out the hard way that it "can" travel 2-1/2". That doesn't seem like a lot to play with to me. So I'm playing it safe there and taking the 880 lbs of reserve per tire with the 80s. And as we've discussed about many things, there are a lot of differences between yours and mine in just one model year. Who knows if that clearance is the same on yours and mine?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #23
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thanks !!! Got it

Enjoy your trip
Old 03-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #24
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Talk about popcorn? I can't even imagine how many new Rvers are going to be confused by this...but red for emergency would help keep straight which was the spare.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ
Okay warming up a little around here 50 that is, Sooooo took my emergency spare (red) to the tire shop to get my new Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST235/85R16 F balanced and mounted on my spare steel rim.

canesfan; since you are keeping track of the dates on Carlisle tires, happy to announce the mfg date on this one was "4916" 49th week of 2016 so I would say very GOOD.

Tire looked Soooo good I was really tempted to switch it out with one of my existing four black Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST235/85R16 F tires but then remembered "RED". Then I would introduce another problem, ie which side Port or Starboard would have one black and one red tire Remembering that I was here to solve a problem not make more, I used the new tire as my emergency spare.

canesfan; while I was dragging this spare under the Raptor, I glanced at the clearance between the top of the existing Carlisle tires on the slide side and anything above the tire. Did not do it but looked like I could stick my head in there at least, Ya that is right my big head. Would have tried it but knew this old guy may never get back out here as it is
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-24-2017, 06:55 AM   #25
canesfan

Paraptor, good deal on your spare. Did it cost extra for red? I didn't see that option when I bought mine.

If you do stick your head in there to see, make sure you have your phone with you so you can call 911 when you get stuck. I'd be lucky to get my fist in there. Big difference.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #26
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Paraptor, good deal on your spare. Did it cost extra for red? I didn't see that option when I bought mine.

If you do stick your head in there to see, make sure you have your phone with you so you can call 911 when you get stuck. I'd be lucky to get my fist in there. Big difference.
The next time I get up enough energy to climb back under there and know I have enough to crawl back out I will take my phone and get a picture. Having a phone with 911 access will help as you said just in case I get stuck There is generally an option for red, sometimes a waiver needed age 75 and over

Thanks for you Senior comments, have a safe trip

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #27
CWtheMan

It's very important to register your new tires. Even those selling new tires on the internet must comply. Here's a NHTSA reference.

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Doc...l_3a_Chern.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #28
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
It's very important to register your new tires. Even those selling new tires on the internet must comply. Here's a NHTSA reference.

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Doc...l_3a_Chern.pdf
As expected from you great information, Thanks

But have to admit I can only image the looks "Deer in head lights" when we go into these tire dealers and inquire about this.

Again appreciate your comments and backup documents

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #29
Tbos

Regular tire dealers do register tires for the buyers. I don't know about Wmart

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #30
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Got my new Carsliles yesterday surprised on the manufacturing date, 5116, I was afraid that they would be much older. Will be putting them on in a few weeks to replace the Rainiers that came with the travel trailer.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #31
EVMIII

Just picked up my Carlisle 235/85R16 LRF from Walmart today. All five tires datec 5216, they look great and considerably more sturdy than the Trailer Kings on there now. I'll get them put on at my local tire shop next week. Always glad to hear positive feedback from folks already running these tires. Safe travels all.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #32
Lee

Hi All,

Well after reading all of the China Bomb horror stories, I took the plunge and ordered four Carlisle 225/75R15 LRE tires from Walmart. They came in today and are picked up.

These are an upgrade from the LRD's currently on the TT.

Three are dated 5016 and one is 0617.

As soon as the TPMS kit comes in I will get them mounted with steel stems.

Happy trails,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #33
canesfan

Got my new Carlisles put on a couple weeks ago. I knew one Trailer King was not looking good but when they took them off they showed me a second that was separating. Lucky I made it to the tire shop in one piece. $15 each to mount, balance and install, plus tax. In and out in less than an hour. Anyone needing a good tire shop in the Richmond area check out Waller Tire on Rt 10 in Chester, just off I-95.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #34
slow

Tires and Wmart "shipping"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi All,

Well after reading all of the China Bomb horror stories, I took the plunge and ordered four Carlisle 225/75R15 LRE tires from Walmart. They came in today and are picked up.

These are an upgrade from the LRD's currently on the TT.

Three are dated 5016 and one is 0617.

As soon as the TPMS kit comes in I will get them mounted with steel stems.

Happy trails,

Lee,

Please report how your trailer rides with the LRE at 80 psi. I am trying to decide on LRD or LRE for my 23RB.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #35
CrazyCain

Reading so much about the "China Bomb", which i have on my rig, they got less than 500 miles on them, gonna make sure the PSI is always correct, load balanced and not over and keep my speed at or below 65 mph, put trust in my TireMinder TPMS and then roll with them for the year..Then maybe a Christmas present from the DW for a new set of Carlisle or Maxxis for next summer..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
Reading so much about the "China Bomb", which i have on my rig, they got less than 500 miles on them, gonna make sure the PSI is always correct, load balanced and not over and keep my speed at or below 65 mph, put trust in my TireMinder TPMS and then roll with them for the year..Then maybe a Christmas present from the DW for a new set of Carlisle or Maxxis for next summer..
I would suggest you keep a very close eye on them....literally. Look for ANY kind of anomaly in the surface of the tire; tread, sidewalls etc. - even little bitty cracks. Those things self destruct from the inside out so by casual observance, and probably even with close inspection, they will look just fine until

I understand your hesitation to replace them, and I'm hoping they've put tires on your trailer with enough safety margin that they will be OK, so keep an eye on them and good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #37
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would suggest you keep a very close eye on them....literally. Look for ANY kind of anomaly in the surface of the tire; tread, sidewalls etc. - even little bitty cracks. Those things self destruct from the inside out so by casual observance, and probably even with close inspection, they will look just fine until

I understand your hesitation to replace them, and I'm hoping they've put tires on your trailer with enough safety margin that they will be OK, so keep an eye on them and good luck.

According to the stamp on the tire, they are less than a year old.....does that make it better

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #38
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Lee,

Please report how your trailer rides with the LRE at 80 psi. I am trying to decide on LRD or LRD for my 23RB.
Will do..

Will be a few weeks till the first voyage on the new tires as the weather still sucks here in the Great North-Wet!!!

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
According to the stamp on the tire, they are less than a year old.....does that make it better

You know, in all honesty, I don't know. Some of them seem to last years for some then some want to pop when they see daylight...so to speak.

I think one of the biggest things is weight. Our tires from the factory were only rated for 40 lbs. more per tire than our gvw. I think I mentioned that load vs tire rating would be an important factor. If you haven't I would look at the tire rating x 4 then see what your gvw of the trailer is. Hopefully you have a significant safety margin.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

CrazyCain,

From what I see, the LHS is a single axle trailer with a empty weight of 3245 and a GVW of 4475. Tongue weight is around 500 pounds, so at "camping weight" I'd guess it'll be about 4200 pounds with all but the tongue weight on the axle. So 4200 - 500 = 3700 pounds on the axle, which is around 1850 on each tire (assuming they are loaded equally, side to side).

The trailer has 205 75R 14 LRD tires rated to carry 2040 at 65 PSI.

So, there is just about a 10% "safety factor" on the factory tires. Since ST tires "degrade with age" at about 10% per year, when your tires are a year old (check the sidewalls for the exact date of manufacture) they will probably be at or very near overloaded.

Now, whether you want to take the chance, buy new tires now, risk a tire failure or something else, that's up to you. But, looking at the load rating for the tires installed on your trailer and the probability that you don't have much reserve, it would be prudent to look at replacing the tires earlier than "next year with tires that are a Christmas gift......

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires