Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #21
Travler

Radio receiption

I have the same issue as everyone else does with poor recieption from the radio. I took mine out and found 2 3ft pieces of wire connected to the radio. I was wondering that if a person could find the exact dim on the roof that a whole could be drilled into the wall cavity where a external antenae could be mounted and wire ran to the radio. sounds easy Maybe someone has done this already..I will wait to hear from them..My worry is hitting a hot wire in the ceiling...Has to be a better way..Dont know why Keystone just didnt drop a antenae wire down the wall cavity...Oh yea...MONEY !!!!!
Ext cab short bed
6 liter gas..3:73
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #22
Festus2
Site Team

There is a side-mounted antenna that mounts on the side of an RV. This will avoid having to drill holes in the roof or go through the ceiling but having to go through a wall.
Not sure if this option is any better but worth looking into.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #23
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
There is a side-mounted antenna that mounts on the side of an RV. This will avoid having to drill holes in the roof or go through the ceiling but having to go through a wall.
Not sure if this option is any better but worth looking into.
Fully agree with this choice. Most radios are located in cabinetry on an outside wall. It's a lot easier and less risky to punch a small hole through the wall and use a wall mounted antenna. Since many entertainment centers are now located in slides, the wall mount antenna is pretty much the only choice anyway.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #24
Travler

Radio receiption

My radio is in a cabinet on a inside wall..No chance of going to the outside through the wall..If there arent any side braces inside the wall then I think that a well position hole in roof would be able to allow you to drop a wire all the way down to the radio...Just not sure..
Ext cab short bed
6 liter gas..3:73
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #25
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler View Post
My radio is in a cabinet on a inside wall..No chance of going to the outside through the wall..If there arent any side braces inside the wall then I think that a well position hole in roof would be able to allow you to drop a wire all the way down to the radio...Just not sure..
You should be able to test this quite easily. Presuming that the cabinet wall behind the radio is hidden by the radio, you can pull the radio and drill a 1" or larger hole just on the radio side of the wall. Then you can push an electrician's fish tape into the hole and up to the ceiling. If you reach an impenetrable obstruction, mark the tape at the point it enters the wall and then pull it out. By measuring between the mark and the end of the tape, you'll quickly know if you can get your antenna coax up to the ceiling.

If you can get it to the ceiling, then the remaining few inches to the outside roof should be fairly easy to get through.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
wtxdxer

Sorry to drag up an old thread but thought I would post my solution. Like everyone else, my Cougar Xlite 26SAB has virtually no AM radio reception, especially with the converter powered up.

Yesterday I pulled the radio unit out and found the little dipole. I tried stretching it out and adding a long wire. Still tremendous noise from the converter.

Then I decided to try my Palomar Loop Antenna. I've had this antenna for about 30 years, probably the last 20 it's been in the attic. I added some coax to the radio and connected the loop antenna. With the antenna on the dining room table the reception was great. I then set the antenna on the cabinet above the TV. It picked up some noise at that location but I could adjust the loop and tuning and minimize the noise.

A picture of the antenna is at http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0445.html. Unfortunately the Palomar Loop Antenna is no longer made but they may occasionally be available on eBay. There are also other amplified loop antennas on the market which may work.

Regards,

Alan
Old 07-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #27
michigancougar

Any new info about this issue?

I bought a 2013 Cougar 32RBK. I have no reception when plugged into 110, but on just battery I do?
michigancougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #28
Tikitim

I took my dipole antenna out and re-installed it in the circular filing cabinet then I installed one of these rubber flexible antennas through roof. Behind radio in cabinet there is a access hole in wall where speaker, power, coax etc. come in from, I took measurements from other side of wall (bathroom) to skylight then went on roof and drilled hole which ended up being between inside bathroom wall. I dropped coax down inside wall and picked it up in access hole then plugged it into radio, Voila! Instant improved reception Mounted antenna than sealed it with Dicore roof sealant. I also removed trim from skylight above shower to get access between roof and ceiling to move insulation so it would not wrap around drill bit. After radio and skylight trim were re-installed mod took about 2 beers or 1 hr 15 mins. It was well worth it.
Tikitim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #29
michigancougar

I was kinda hoping not to drill thru thru the roof. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #30
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigancougar View Post
I was kinda hoping not to drill thru thru the roof. Any other suggestions?
See post number 22 in this same thread.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #31
michigancougar

I bought some chokes for the coaxial cable, but how does my Rockford-fosgate stereo come out?

I'm considering adding a splitter to attach to my Winegard antenna too.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #32
michigancougar

Duh...........there was 4 screws in the front to take out. Antenna was coiled up, I took it out and ran it to the upper cupboard and spread out the two dipoles a little. Works MUCH better.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #33
michigancougar

BTW....I called Keystone and asked about cupboard shelves. They were very pleasant to deal with
Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #34
justlkn

I also had a terrible time picking up stations. When I pulled the stereo out I too found the cable just coiled up in the back. I used a splitter and connected it to my outside antenna also and it made a huge difference!!

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #35
BZ Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlkn View Post
I also had a terrible time picking up stations. When I pulled the stereo out I too found the cable just coiled up in the back. I used a splitter and connected it to my outside antenna also and it made a huge difference!!
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but is there a special splitter to hook up the antenna wire up to the antenna or if you just used a normal splitter how did you attach it. I found my wire coiled up the same as others and was hoping to fix it. Thanks
BZ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #36
justlkn

BZ Man. The antenna output came out as a cable outlet and keystone had installed a 75ohm converter to two wire antenna. I just removed that and connected cable to the TV antenna cable using a splitter. Its hooked up essentially like an additional TV.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:17 AM   #37
BZ Man

That explains why I didn't understand. The radio antenna on mine hooks in just like a car stereo and then it is just two wires coming out. Also that is the only antenna on the back that I can see. I have seen some mention a second antenna, but I only see the one. Is there any way to get that hooked up to the TV antenna.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:04 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

BZMan, I haven't seen a F connector/Motorola plug cable in a long time. They are available here: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-2145 and the cost is about $3. You could probably make one if you're handy with a soldering iron, but chances are the impedance wouldn't be 75 ohms and you could degrade your TV signal at the splitter.

Usually the dipole antennas that we all find coiled up behind our radio will work well enough in most situations. If you can "string it up" through the access holes where the wiring bundle runs into the wall or let it fall down into those holes or even use a couple pieces of tape and attach it to the wall behind the radio and TV, you should get much better radio reception.

The ideal solution is to install an outside wall or roof antenna for the radio, but most people can get acceptable reception without having to go that far.

If you do make or buy a cable to adapt your radio antenna connector to a TV splitter and notice your TV signal is weaker, you may need to go further by installing an "A/B box" to keep the two systems disconnected during TV watching. It can get complicated, but it's not impossible.

I'd try setting up the dipole antenna first and see if it works for you.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #39
justlkn

BZMan if your wires attach with screws the you can use this

http://www.amfmreception.com/wp-cont...ansmformer.jpg

If they come out as straight wires then I don't see why you just can't cut the ends off and wire nut them together.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #40
BZ Man

Thank you for the info! Now I just need to decide which one to use.