Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Steve S

Frozen propane

So my propane is frozen every morning, it's getting kind of cold between 5 am and 10 am
I really don't mind the cold but my little dog runs under the covers and stays there
Beside heated wires and things like that is there another way to insulate the tanks
Oh btw I turn the furnace off @ night and I assume that might be the cause of the problem
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you've got a fifth wheel, Maybe a drop light with a 60 watt bulb in the compartment? if it's a travel trailer, maybe a drop light between the bottles under the plastic covering ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Steve S

Yeah it's a travel trailer, I'm kind of worried about fires though.
Am I correct that it's the valves that I'm in need of insulating and not the tanks?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Steve -
A 60w light bulb should not be concern for fires. You won't need to use it unless the temps drop down below freezing again and there should be enough heat generated in the small compartment so that both the tank and valves are kept "warm and cozy".
Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
Steve S

I was thinking along the line of when I let the dog out at night if she was to trip over the cord and smash the bulb I wouldn't know.
Maybe I'm over thinking things
Old 01-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Steve-
Try (a) using plastic zip ties to secure the electrical cord so that it can't be pulled out of the compartment; (b) place a wire "cage" over the bulb; (c) place the cord under your RV or somewhere where the dog isn't likely to trip over it; or all of the above.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
Steve S

Those are good ideas! I did see these magnetic strips at Fraser R.V that would work, it just seems like I never have an hr to drive out there.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
geo

Steve -

Good advice from Festus2 and JRTJH. Unless you have a propane leak, a light bulb will help. Insulating the tanks won't because they cool down as the liquid propane turns to gas. (Thermodynamics there). It's probably getting cold enough to slow that vaporization process so you aren't getting enough gas.

Back when, here in the southern States, they would put butane in the tanks during spring and summer, and propane in the fall and winter. We moved to a house that was on a tank, but my dad didn't get the tank filled in the fall - it was all butane. One early western Oklahoma morning, we had no heat, etc. Our neighbor came over to help. He built a small fire next to the tank to heat it up so the butane would vaporize! It worked, and we got propane later that day! So if you don't have any propane leaks, and secure the electrical cord, you should have no problems with a light bulb.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
MISailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you've got a fifth wheel, Maybe a drop light with a 60 watt bulb in the compartment? if it's a travel trailer, maybe a drop light between the bottles under the plastic covering ????
I like this idea but with regulations driving us all away from incandescent bulbs this won't be a potential solution much longer. LEDs won’t warm anything like a good old fashioned bulb with a tungsten filament. I'll bet my grandchildren (not yet born) won’t even know what a filament is or bulb "wattage" is!
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
crash

I agree with MISailor
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
Steve S

Yeah trying to find a normal bulb now is impossible
So I found a roll of foam under the bed last night, had no idea it was for the top of the bed until I was finished hacking it up and was told so.
I wrapped some around the valves and left the pilot on in the oven. The heat is working but it was sputtering a bit first thing so it's a cure and not a fix.
If I could find something 12 volt then I would be happy.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #12
RichR

Sometimes a little bit of water will freeze the regulator. You may have to purge the tanks and add anti freeze to clear it out. It will have to be taken to an LP dealer to be done.
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Sometimes a little bit of water will freeze the regulator. You may have to purge the tanks and add anti freeze to clear it out. It will have to be taken to an LP dealer to be done.
That was done at the dealer before I picked it up.
Here in B.C the dealers have to have all trailers have their propane and all propane appliances inspected and certified before they can leave the lot.
Just one of the reasons that I paid the extra and bought from a dealer.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #14
geo

Here you go, Propane Blankets!

Steve -

Yes, before you read the links, they are a little pricey.

Here you go! Propane blankets! If you are in a cold area, might be a good investment. You will be able to draw more gas out of the propane cylinder because of the warmth.

http://www.gilmorekramer.com/more_in..._warmers.shtml

http://www.iprocessmart.com/Merchant...egory_Code=GAS

http://www.powerblanket.com/propane-tank-heater/

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 01-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
Steve S

WOW! Those aren't very cheap I was thinking maybe $100.00 for both tanks but those prices are ridiculous.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #16
geo

And . . .

What is not available through Amazon??????

http://www.amazon.com/Powerblanket-G...s=powerblanket

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISailor View Post
I like this idea but with regulations driving us all away from incandescent bulbs this won't be a potential solution much longer. LEDs won’t warm anything like a good old fashioned bulb with a tungsten filament. I'll bet my grandchildren (not yet born) won’t even know what a filament is or bulb "wattage" is!
Halogens are still available and they get just as hot as incandescent bulbs. there are options available other than the "bulbs we grew up with" LOL

Also, there are also small magnetic heaters available in almost any auto parts store for $30 or less. Just attach one near the bottom of one of your propane tanks, and as long as they are enclosed in a compartment or under a cover, they will stay warm enough not to freeze. The heat given off by either a bulb or a heater will keep your propane flowing.

Sometimes ya gotta think outside the box, but there's always a solution if you try hard enough

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #18
ctpd814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Yeah trying to find a normal bulb now is impossible
So I found a roll of foam under the bed last night, had no idea it was for the top of the bed until I was finished hacking it up and was told so.
I wrapped some around the valves and left the pilot on in the oven. The heat is working but it was sputtering a bit first thing so it's a cure and not a fix.
If I could find something 12 volt then I would be happy.
Maybe something like this would work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Fl...-/181294517693

This is 12v and much less expensive. I think it would work well inside the tank enclosure.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #19
FullTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpd814 View Post
Maybe something like this would work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Fl...-/181294517693

This is 12v and much less expensive. I think it would work well inside the tank enclosure.
Be careful installing a pad without a thermostatic control on it on a propane tank .But they do make some that cycle on and off.
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #20
geo

Yes, that is one item about the "expensive propane blankets", they are thermostatically controlled. There is also a separate thermostat one can buy that will further limit when power is available to the thermostatically controlled blanket. Yup, this could get expensive!

FullTimer - If you know where Seiling is located, then you know where the "neighbor built the fire"!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch