Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Ayotte

Poor Radio Reception in Cougar

I was wondering, is everyone happy with the radio reception? Seems like mine is not very good unless you are close to the stations. (which doesn't happen to often in our area) Is it because there is no outside aerial? My jayco had a outside aerial and it worked great. Is there any way to solve the problem?
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

My '07 Cougar has an antenna on the roof reception still is not great but acceptable for a cheap radio. Are you sure you don't have one or just the base and the mast is missing? Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Charli

Now that you mention it we also noticed we were unable to pick up stations on the radio when they were coming in fine on the truck. I know our previous trailer had an antenna similar to the ones you used to find on vehicles and the reception seemed to be better. You would think the TV antenna would be able to serve dual duty.
On another matter related to the 26SAB it seems that the noise created by the Fan/AC unit is significntly louder than the Springdale trailer we had before or perhaps there is something wrong with ours. I will have to ask the dealer next time we are there.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Ayotte

radio cougar 26sab

I did take the sterio out of the cabinet and there is about 6-8ft. of wire in the back of the cabinet that is hooked to the antena lead on the sterio. Probally a outside aerial would be much better.
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotte View Post
I did take the sterio out of the cabinet and there is about 6-8ft. of wire in the back of the cabinet that is hooked to the antena lead on the sterio. Probally a outside aerial would be much better.
I found the same thing. There are two wires coming off the antenna lead, maybe about 3' each. I am going to try to stretch them out into a "T" shape and see if that improves reception.

While I am in there, I am also planning a 12vdc cutoff switch for the radio and at least two cigar lighter style power outlets so we can charge our cell phones when boondocking.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The coiled wire connected to the antenna recepticle on the back of the radio is an "updated" dipole antenna. It's like the old clear/gold or black ones that used to come with most every stereo. If you remember "back then" you needed to connect it to the stereo, then string it up and use two thumbtacks to stretch it out on the wall. This is pretty much the same. I found mine coiled in a 5" circle. I opened it up, ran one side over to the edge of the entertainment center (behind the radio) and the other up through the cutout going to the TV and then pushed it into a joint opening along the back of the front facing. It improved reception a little. The best thing I've found is to use the spare coax connector on the back of the TV amplifier and just raise the TV antenna, turn on the amplifier (little button on the TV Amp) get a green light and listen to more stations than any other attempt has provided.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
justlkn

BZ Man. The antenna output came out as a cable outlet and keystone had installed a 75ohm converter to two wire antenna. I just removed that and connected cable to the TV antenna cable using a splitter. Its hooked up essentially like an additional TV.

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:17 AM   #8
BZ Man

That explains why I didn't understand. The radio antenna on mine hooks in just like a car stereo and then it is just two wires coming out. Also that is the only antenna on the back that I can see. I have seen some mention a second antenna, but I only see the one. Is there any way to get that hooked up to the TV antenna.
BZ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:04 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

BZMan, I haven't seen a F connector/Motorola plug cable in a long time. They are available here: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-2145 and the cost is about $3. You could probably make one if you're handy with a soldering iron, but chances are the impedance wouldn't be 75 ohms and you could degrade your TV signal at the splitter.

Usually the dipole antennas that we all find coiled up behind our radio will work well enough in most situations. If you can "string it up" through the access holes where the wiring bundle runs into the wall or let it fall down into those holes or even use a couple pieces of tape and attach it to the wall behind the radio and TV, you should get much better radio reception.

The ideal solution is to install an outside wall or roof antenna for the radio, but most people can get acceptable reception without having to go that far.

If you do make or buy a cable to adapt your radio antenna connector to a TV splitter and notice your TV signal is weaker, you may need to go further by installing an "A/B box" to keep the two systems disconnected during TV watching. It can get complicated, but it's not impossible.

I'd try setting up the dipole antenna first and see if it works for you.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
justlkn

BZMan if your wires attach with screws the you can use this

http://www.amfmreception.com/wp-cont...ansmformer.jpg

If they come out as straight wires then I don't see why you just can't cut the ends off and wire nut them together.

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
BZ Man

Thank you for the info! Now I just need to decide which one to use.
BZ Man is offline   Reply With Quote