Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
60av8er

Another Black Tank Flush Issue

We took our new Monty out for the first time this weekend and when it came time to dump my tanks I was told during PDI to remove my water hose from the city connection fitting and screw it into the black tank fitting then simply turn the water back on to flush the tank. When I did this today the fitting immediately began to leak and no water went into the black tank. Now the fitting is slightly crooked and tight to put the hose on...and still only leaks all the water out. I still had my 45psi regulator on the hose but does anyone have any ideas what happened? Bad fitting? Did I try to use the flush system incorrectly?
1 Beautiful Newborn Daughter
2 Pups, 1 Departed Pup
60av8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
rlevitt

black tank

Hi There
I have no idea what the problem could be but I would never connect my drinking water hose to the black tank flusher. I would worry about contamination. I would use a separate hose just for that flusher.
Just my 2 cents
you could look inside the trailer where that hose conects to see if there is a kinked or twisted hose cutting the water supply to the flusher.
Ron
rlevitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
hankaye

60av8er, Howdy;

Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing...
Ask your sales person if he'd drink from his/her toilet at home...

There are several threds concerning this type of problem.
Use the search function and hunt around a bit...
Start here;

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sea...earchid=271313

With your start it should only get better...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
cmssorrell

What rlevitt says, I use a different hose for the black tank flush also.

Mark

2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE

2007 Harley Davidson Ultra
2000 Softail Springer
cmssorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
60av8er

Thanks guys, in our old Heartland Razor I didn't have the tank flush installed and although it seemed shady to use the same hose, I took his word for it. My mistake...one of these days I'll buy something RV related from someone who actually uses an RV. CW got me again!!
2 Pups, 1 Departed Pup
Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Ruffus

Check Valve

Sounds like the backflow preventer or check valve may have been installed backwards, if it's a new unit then have them fix it. If not, have fun fixing it yourself. Getting to it is the hardest part.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
chuck&gail

You guys are nuts. Unless something is VERY seriously broken, and the hose used somehow has a VACUUM in it, there is no chance of contamination between the black tank contents and the flush hose connection.

You all can do as you like, I use my fresh water hose.

As said above, there is a blockage somewhere.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
hankaye

chuck&gail, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck&gail View Post
You guys are nuts. Unless something is VERY seriously broken, and the hose used somehow has a VACUUM in it, there is no chance of contamination between the black tank contents and the flush hose connection.

You all can do as you like, I use my fresh water hose.

As said above, there is a blockage somewhere.

Ever heard of microbs ??? Some of the finest aquatic swimmers
around. Love dark places don't give a durn about gravity nor
uphill climbs... Seperate hose plus a back-flow preventer. Rather
have a good time out and about rather then stayin' 2 or 3 steps away from the commode...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
rlevitt

Hey Chuck
I don't think i'm nuts.
I would consider maybe you are!!
Have a good one
Ron
rlevitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Almost all of us carry a spare tire, tools, air compressors, extra nuts/bolts, screws, spare parts... WHY? Because mechanical things tend to break at the most inopportune or inconvenient times. Backflow preventers are mechanical things and unfortunately, when they break, there's not a red flashing light in the "command center" that tells us "DON'T HOOK UP YOUR FRESH WATER HOSE". So we hook it up, "knowing it's dumb to have 2 hoses" and contaminate our fresh water supply, give the family "Montezuma's Revenge" and spoil the weekend, the vacation, the summer.

But not to worry, It's nuts to think we'd need a separate hose.

I think the comment started: "Unless something is VERY seriously broken..." That does happen, and without warning. It could even be happening as we speak..... A second hose is a heck of a lot lighter and takes up much less space than my tool box, but I won't leave home without it either.

Oh yes, and I also wash my hands before returning to work. Not that I handle food for other people, but I'd prefer mine clean even though I didn't "contaminate my hands.

To each his own

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #11
mapleman3

Can you imagine? You hook up your clean freshwater hose to the poop tank flush where there is absolutely bacteria and ecoli....then you again attach that to your freshwater hookup so everyone can enjoy all the colorful things to follow?
I'm sorry but Chuck dont take it personal....I don't think I would spend any time in your RV....

A seperate hose and backflow is a must!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
mapleman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
60av8er

Ok, I'll get another hose! Turns out I took off the female connector, screwed my garden hose to it and found there was a gap created between the white threaded piece and the black PVC which screws onto the black tank hose. When I put everything back together I turned on the faucet and although it was still leaking outside the trailer I ran inside and it was sending water into the black tank. So, it looks like I gotta get a new connector and it should be a simple solution. Thanks for all the input! Dustoff!
2 Pups, 1 Departed Pup
Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #13
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60av8er View Post
Ok, I'll get another hose! Turns out I took off the female connector, screwed my garden hose to it and found there was a gap created between the white threaded piece and the black PVC which screws onto the black tank hose. When I put everything back together I turned on the faucet and although it was still leaking outside the trailer I ran inside and it was sending water into the black tank. So, it looks like I gotta get a new connector and it should be a simple solution. Thanks for all the input! Dustoff!
The threaded fitting where your hose connects to the black tank flush system should have a standard garden hose washer in there. It's the same as any other garden hose connections.

Before you invest time and money in a new connector, it is something to check first.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote