Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
matthewc45

bias tires vs. radial tires

I have a 2010 springdale 303bhssr it came with carlisle tires. I have blew out two tires and my spare has peel like recap truck tire. We just made it home from a very long day of changing tire. I check my tires before I Hit the road every time. The tire size is 225/75r15 with a D load rating .I am going to change all five tires but can not decide if I should go with a bias tire or stay with the radial tires and go to an E load rating.My last camper had bias tires on it and I never had a problem out of them over four years of use. Just trying to get some other opinions on the rouat I should take.
matthewc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
alaskalife

One thing I have learned is that I will never buy a RV with Carlisle tires on it again.

While I filed a wrranty claim with Carlisle and eventually got money for the damage and new tires...that will be a deal breaker on any RV in the future.

Nothing has irritated me more about this RV than those cheap tires.

I have radial E rated on mine now.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I'd be putting on good quality, E-rated radial tires. There are quite a few threads and posts on the forum dealing with tire brands --- Maxxis seems to be one to take a serious look at.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
cumminsdad08

i got maybe a few hundred miles on the bias tires they put on for me when i bought it. they feathered and choped up right away, running them at recomended pressure. they are loud, and i noticed that one is starting to crack real bad already, after a whole year on the trailer. i will be switching to radial before the end of the season, once the funds are available,(and once i can convince the boss how unsafe it is).
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
mhs4771

You mean they still make bias ply tires? I wouldn't run anything but Radials, but agree stay away from Carlisles or Goodyear Marathons. Festus is right on about going to a good "E" Rated Radial tire. Many folks are running LT tires on their rigs with excellent results.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
matthewc45

Thanks for the info. Thank I am going to try and find some E load rating tires for it.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
cumminsdad08

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
You mean they still make bias ply tires? I wouldn't run anything but Radials, but agree stay away from Carlisles or Goodyear Marathons. Festus is right on about going to a good "E" Rated Radial tire. Many folks are running LT tires on their rigs with excellent results.
didn't know mine were bias untill i asked my shop to look at them when it was in for inspection. i asked him what i could do to prevent it from happing, and he said, "don't drive it".
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
chuck&gail

Maxxis radials.

BUT

If you go to LR-E, be sure your RIMS are rated for the extra pressure. Most are not. Overloading rims is just as crazy as overloading tires IMHO.

RIM rating usually stamped on the rear, or in valley UNDER the tire.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
matthewc45

I have checked my rims they can hold the pressure of an e load rating. I am looking at the kenda load star. Thinking that might be what I go with.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
cumminsdad08

we run them on our utility trailers at work. only problems with them are user issues usually
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Old 04-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #11
outbackmac

tires

go omline and buy MAXXIS, i did a ran them for 3 years and never had a issue, only tire i would put on a TT, 1 problem i now have a 5ver and i dont believe they make them in my size
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewc45 View Post
I have checked my rims they can hold the pressure of an e load rating. I am looking at the kenda load star. Thinking that might be what I go with.
The only ST tire brand that I've heard significantly good reports about with none or nearly no bad reports is Maxxis. While I'm sure there are some horror stories with any tire, Maxxis appears to be one of the best, most reliable ST tires on the market.

Load Star tires have been reported "good/bad/excellent/never-again" on this and many other forums. Your choice as to what you put on your RV. If you're looking at price as a significant consideration, bear in mind that LoadStar is only about $10 a tire less than Maxxis. Of course if you're dead set against Maxxis, cost is not an issue for you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
matthewc45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The only ST tire brand that I've heard significantly good reports about with none or nearly no bad reports is Maxxis. While I'm sure there are some horror stories with any tire, Maxxis appears to be one of the best, most reliable ST tires on the market.

Load Star tires have been reported "good/bad/excellent/never-again" on this and many other forums. Your choice as to what you put on your RV. If you're looking at price as a significant consideration, bear in mind that LoadStar is only about $10 a tire less than Maxxis. Of course if you're dead set against Maxxis, cost is not an issue for you.
I have been looking for maxxis under 150 a piece. I can get load star locally for 103 a tire. I would have to order the maxxis on line. Yes price does play a big factor In what I buy. I am still waiting on carlise response to my claim.I believe that keyston put to light duty of a tire on this camper and that is why am having the problem with tires now. They build a camper with a GVW of 11300 and only put tires under it to hold 10160. So that is why I am just trying to see what others have ran on there trailers.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
rhagfo

When we bought our old 86 King of the Road, it needed tires NOW!
Tire dealer offered Bias ply, but they were 25% more costly. $125 ea compared to $100 for radial, if it would have been the other way around I still would have gone with radial! radials have far less rolling resistance and better sidewall flex for turning.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote