Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
allentx1

blow out damage - Ins or cheap fix?

I checked the forum under blow outs just now and see I am part of the Tow-Maxx tire club. Mine were only on 1.5 years and got my first blow out. My question is the damage to the underside of the slide out and the plastic wheel arches... is this something I should engage insurance for or am I looking at minor repair work to replace the insulation and the water resistant sheet? I'll get the tire repaired tomorrow. I did discover, however, that my Ford F250 lug wrench was too thick to take off the lugs on the aluminum rims... took some muscle and perfect angles to get them off. I will now carry a thin walled deep socket set with cheater bar... oh and a floor jack... 500 revolutions to jack up with truck jack... geez.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
grayghost03

You do know that if you pull the good tire up on a couple of pieces of 2x6 boards, the other tire will come off the ground without a jack needed. Test at home and see if it take 2 or 3 boards.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
allentx1

Update on Power King

First, I considered driving up on my stacker blocks... but did it the hard way. Next time I will know better. Secondly, I spoke to Power King today about my blowout and apparently if you had any damage associated they send you to a special place. Appears the Canada based company representative will be calling me and sending a UPS box/tag for me to ship the tire to them. They also want pictures of the damage and estimate for repair... Am I crazy or could they possibly take care of the blowout damage? I have never heard of anything other than tire replacement. We'll see I guess.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
Austin Texas area
Old 03-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Jim W

I had a blow out last year in Gibbon NE on the driver side. The LH front tire failed and destroyed the sheet metal and plastic skirting along with the covering on the underside. The total cost of the damage to the camper that the insurance paid for was $2896 less my deductible. The tire was $147 which is not included in the damage to the camper.
I changed out my blowout by pulling my camper up on a Trailer-aid that is mounted on a 2X6 board. This provides enough clearance to safely change out the tire with no jacking required.
I am also buying four new tires in April for the camper.
Here is a link to PPL Motor Homes that sells the Trail-aid.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...railer-aid.htm
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

Carrying the correct size socket and breaker bar is great but don't forget the torque wrench
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Barney, That was my thought also. Not to criticize anyone, but how the heck do you check the lug nuts every morning if you don't have a lug wrench that fits? Or how do you torque them without a torque wrench? Once you lose a wheel, or find one with 3 lug nuts missing and the other three "loose" it'll darn sure make a "believer" out of you !!!!!! <G>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
allentx1

I do have a torque wrench that I use before every trip... at home. Never thought to bring it with me since my trips are within an hours drive. this particular trip was about 3 hours so lesson learned. I have lots of tools in the garage, I guess I need to make a tool box with camper emergency tools.

BTW, PowerKing told me to duct tape the tread back onto the blown out tire and UPS is coming Monday to take it like that. I can only imagine what that will look like on the trip to Canada.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
Austin Texas area
Old 03-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Or how do you torque them without a torque wrench?
Say what you wish (or think it) but I torque mine by feel. I use a torque wrench for many thing but lug nuts are not one of them.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibutman214 View Post
Say what you wish (or think it) but I torque mine by feel. I use a torque wrench for many thing but lug nuts are not one of them.
Yup, you've definitely got a talented wrist there !!! For me, I'll go ahead and stick to my torque wrench. It's not that heavy and even with my half ton, I've got room to store it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
allentx1

Ok, I got the quote back from dealer today: $1,386.22. Seems the parts list is: Fender skirt, Darco thin, J-Wrap, butyl tape, silicone white and DAP black. Labor wise was the biggest piece at $962 vs $171 parts. Add another $235 for freight/crating and taxes and voila... I'll be waiting got Power King to get the tire... from there, seeing the list of repairs, I'll just do it myself.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
Austin Texas area
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
alaskalife

I had Carilsle tires from the factory on mine. One blew out and damaged my RV. And thankfully Roadside tech noticed the other tires were swelling and about to blow as well.

I ended up filling a warranty claim with Carlisle. They paid to ship tire to them and gave some BS about they could not conclude whether it was a defect or not but did provide me a low ball offer. I kept pushing the issue and every time I asked to speak to the supervisor I was put on hold and the offer went up and every time they claimed that was their final offer.

In the end they paid for everythng including my new tires minus the shipping charges for the repair parts from factory to dealership body shop...totaling about $3,000.

And from what I have read online, this is a common problem with Carlisle Trailer Tires, whixh is why my new tires were not Carisle.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
allentx1

Ok, got the letter today from Dynamic tires company (Power King) and they said no evidence it was their fault BUT they are willing to replace the tire. No reimbursement for damage. Part of me wants to leave well enough alone, after all I am getting a free tire. Should i be pushing the damages portion?

2011 Avalanche 340TG
Austin Texas area
Old 04-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yup, you've definitely got a talented wrist there !!! For me, I'll go ahead and stick to my torque wrench. It's not that heavy and even with my half ton, I've got room to store it.
I agree my lugs always go on with a torque wrench!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote